Author Topic: More yard pics.  (Read 6405 times)

Offline lilysmom

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • When I rescued Lily, she rescued me right back!
    • View Profile
Re: More yard pics.
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2005, 05:27:59 am »
Didn't there used to be a reason for the docked tail though.  I think I saw something about it on animal planet.  Can't remember though.  Maybe someone else knows?  In Germany it's illegal now to dock tails or crop ears on any dog so maybe docking used to have a purpose?  I don't know.  Just wondering out loud.

Red probably knows.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2005, 05:28:36 am by lilysmom »
When I rescued Lily, she rescued me right back!

GR8DAME

« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2005, 05:41:18 am »
In dobermans the ears and tails were docked to make them harder to pull off when they were attacking. I have to tell ya, after years of docked dobies, getting whipped by an excited dane tail was the hardest thing to get used to. Everyone askes about how much they eat, and all the drool, and it's the blooming tail that drives me nuts.
Stella

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2005, 06:12:37 am »
Yeah, for the most part the original reason for docking/cropping was to prevent injury to the tail/ear while either hunting, or fighting.  Although it leads me to wonder why all hunting dogs and/or fighting dogs weren't docked/cropped.  There are very few breeds that are born with natural bobs.  The only two I can think of off the top of my head are the Schipperke, and the aussie, although many aussie's are born w/tails.

Offline moonlitcroatia

• BPO Guru
  • Betti Boo March 2008
    • View Profile
    • Greta's Page
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2005, 09:52:58 am »
HAHHAAAA!! Lins, you're too funny.  I like it when you take 50 pics! lol  I love your two girls, I know I say that everytime, but hey I can't help myself, they're beautiful!  Now I'm gonna ask a question and hopefully I won't get made fun of..... When the breeders dock a rotties tail is it for a certain purpose?  Or is it for cosmetic purposes?  I've always wondered that.  And if they don't get their tails docked is it normally long like a lab tail?  I've never ever ever seen a rottie with a long tail! lol

Andi

They've stopped docking rottie tails in Germany.  If you go to http://www.4rottweilers.com you can see photos of rotts with full tails. 
I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love.  For me they are the role model for being alive.  ~Gilda Radner

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2005, 08:24:14 pm »
personally I love the little wiggling nubby things. Boxers and rotts to me just have to have the docked tails. they wouldnt seem like a rot or a boxer with a tail to me. What other breeds are docked? something to reserch I guess.
Terriers (some), snauzers, dobbies.  that's just a few.  :)
I love the stubby too.  I think it's so funny when the wiggle it at 100 miles per hour. 

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2005, 08:31:04 pm »
The fence is hands down the best thing I ever did for my dogs & myself!!!...I am glad you got yours in!

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2005, 08:32:33 pm »
It's a big relief to us and them.  Thanks! :D