Author Topic: How did your Big Paw get his/her name?  (Read 26029 times)

Offline lilysmom

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • When I rescued Lily, she rescued me right back!
    • View Profile
How did your Big Paw get his/her name?
« on: October 17, 2005, 09:20:18 pm »
I thought it would be fun to find out how everyone came up with their pets names.

I'll start.

Lily was given her name by the rescue.  She responds good to it so I kept it.

Raven's name was almost Bear.  We were all in the car on the way home from getting her and everyone was giving ideas for her name.  My then two year old thought Chocolate cookie was good.  My oldest wanted Blackie.  My husband wanted Bear because she was so furry and cuddly.  I wanted Raven because she was pure black.  Guess who won??? he he he.  ME!!!!  It suits her now perfectly.  She's attracted to shiny objects. lol. :D
When I rescued Lily, she rescued me right back!

lins_saving_grace

Re: How did your Big Paw get his/her name?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2005, 09:29:27 pm »
Lady was Nikki for a while.  It didn't fit and a friend suggested Lady.

Grace:  Well...I had a list of names from a name book.  Most of which my husband hated. 
Grace was acceptable.  It's the name of the old lady I used to hang with when I was a kid.  Grace Thomas.  We all called her Aunt Grace.  So it's kinda nice to have her namesake.

Offline AC

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2005, 09:32:47 pm »
Angus got his name because it starts with the letter "A". All the names in my family begin with A including all the pets we have had or have. Angus was all we could think of and when my wife suggested it, it just sounded right!! Now he looks just like an Angus to me.

Offline greek4

• Majestic Member
  • Kole with Maia, Baxter, Rocco, and Cody
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2005, 09:35:09 pm »
Rocco was Rosco and Bosco for a few days then we settled on Rocco and it sure fits.  The rescue he came from had named him Magoo and I just couldn't call him that.

Maia means "goddess of growth", she was Lucy for a few days because my Dad insisted and just kept calling her that.  I just called her 'the puppy' until someone mentioned Maia.  Then she became Maia Lucy.
Thanks,

Emily and 1 husband, 1 boy, 1 on the way, and 4 crazy dogs

Offline The Brindle Pack

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2005, 10:13:50 pm »
We got Tucker from (PAL) Protect Animal Life at PetSmart during adoption days.  We put him in the basket as we went around the store picking up all his new stuff he tuckered out on us. 

When we got Tyra we wanted a name that went with Tucker; Tyra fit and they became TnT.

Scooter came to us as a foster and never left.  Mack likes the comedian that always says, "I don't think so Scooter" and had said that our next dog would be named Scooter.  I guess the fact that he was a brindle and already named Scooter it was just meant to be that he would find his forever home with us.

Cindy 

DakotaMom

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2005, 10:35:13 pm »
We chose Dakota because it means friend in one of the Native American languages.

Jade came from the "J" litter, so we needed a "J" name. I spent weeks looking for a name. My daughter decided on Jade, but I wanted something more. We ended up with Just A Gem Vom Sanften Loewen aka Jade.

Offline lilysmom

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2005, 10:42:40 pm »

Jade came from the "J" litter, so we needed a "J" name. I spent weeks looking for a name. My daughter decided on Jade, but I wanted something more. We ended up with Just A Gem Vom Sanften Loewen aka Jade.

Wow, that's a mouthful. lol.  :D

DakotaMom

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2005, 11:00:13 pm »
I love reading about how everyone decided on names.

I think Jade's name fits very well.

Offline lilysmom

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2005, 11:06:43 pm »
I love reading about how everyone decided on names.

I think Jade's name fits very well.

I hope you don't think I was making fun of it.  It's really long and I would never be able to remember a name like that.  I love the name Jade though.  :)

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2005, 11:13:57 pm »
Before I knew Sanity even existed I was telling my friends how I thought it'd be hysterical to have a Dane named Sanity and call out "Sanity where are you?  Sanity come here.  Excuse me have you seen my Sanity?"  Like a week after I said this I get the call about Nee and it just fit, he was never to have any other name.  People ask where he got his name all the time and the more I told the story the stupider it sounded so now I say.  "People said I must be insane to get a Great Dane.  I just say I didn't lose my Sanity I found him."  It's much more poetic and people always say "Awwww".

Hobo I found on the side of the road.  He was going to be "Maro" short for Camaro, but Matts mom said "He's the cutest little Hobo I ever saw!"  That just fit him, and to give Matt his GM reference his middle name is "Harley Earl". 

Araby just came around because Matt heard a song titled Araby, by the group the Sponge Awareness Foundation.  He picked the name because he liked it, but we found out that Araby in the song was named after Araby in the James Joyce story which was a racous wild and crazy fair.  Fits her perfectly.

Ang

BPO's Official Mistress of Mirth

Charter Member of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club

"And you will know us by the trail of skank."

DakotaMom

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2005, 11:18:17 pm »

I hope you don't think I was making fun of it. It's really long and I would never be able to remember a name like that. I love the name Jade though. :)

I didn't think that at all. I just saw an opportunity to post a couple of pictures.

Offline lilysmom

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2005, 11:23:32 pm »
cute pics BTW :)

Offline tonyc

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2005, 11:28:16 pm »
nikki's name came from the PO... i think it sounds like a stripper name...

Offline orion5221

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Kiahali
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2005, 11:36:19 pm »
Orion-- I love stars and Orion is a constalation of a warrior- I was actually on the beach at a bonfire, looked up saw "Orion" and decided that was going to be his name.

Aspen IV came named to us... his litter was the A litter..

Kiahali means unique in hawaiiaan :)
LA & Gang

Offline Moni

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2005, 11:49:34 pm »
Ohhhh!!!  I love coming up with names and hearing other's name stories!  :o)

Tenchi got his name from an Japanese Anime-Tenchi Muyo.  Tenchi means Heaven & Earth in Japanese.  Before I got him I had a huge list of German words and names to pick from.  However when he got to my house with his sisters, I noticed he had a big "T" on his bottom.  Well, just had to have a name that started with a "T" since he was already monogrammed  , and none of the German names did...  So I named him Tenchi and then his sisters-Washu & Ryoko after other characters in the show who's personalities perfectly fit the girls.  :o)  Marc was kind enough to keep their names after I was done fostering them.

Faust
was named after Goethe's Faust.  Jay picked it out but I had to approve it.  lol

Mojo was NOT named for the PowerPuff girls OR Austin Powers... ::)  After all, he'll be 9 this year.  He was named after a voodoo goodluck charm that everyone in our Vampire Tour was given by the Chicken Man in New Orleans(flashback to my goth years...).  Supposedly you get a wish if you throw it in water.  I figure its a perfect name for a dog, everytime he gets a bath, I get a wish! 

Zeo has a name that was made up.  She's a blue merle bi and as a puppy had a very distinct black mask and eyeliner.  So I combined the names Zorro and Cleopatra and got Zeo.  lol

Kida came to us with the name Princess.  No offence, but anyone who knows me understands that just doesn't fit.  Tori wanted to keep her name Princess so we compromised.  I named her AFTER the princess Kida in the disney movie Atlantis.  I figured the princess had white hair and blue eyes, and so did she .  ;o)

Gyrl was a deaf stray that wandered into our house last November.  Spencer kept calling her Ol'dog since she's like 12+ years.  Finally we just dubbed her Ol'Gyrl but lately its been shortened to plain Gyrl.

Torch is Spencer's tortishell guinea pig with a orange flame on his nose.  I wanted to call him Flame, but the kids didn't like it so we settled on Torch.  ;o)

Rainbow bridge babies-
Tika was named after a strong, selfconfident and powerful woman character in the Dragonlance series.  As a puppy, Tika was abused and neglected and had a pretty rough beginning.  So she really needed a strong name to help her overcome it.

Zephyr was named after the god of the west wind because he relied on his sense of smell since he was deaf and blind.  I just about had a breakdown when right after he left us, the Red Hot Chili Peppers put out "the Zephyr Song".  Tori and I still cry everytime it comes on, the lyrics are just so fitting!

Mekare and Maharet were black cat twins, 1/2 siamese.  They were named after the vampire twins in the Anne Rice series.  Mekare has passed away, but my Mom still has Retti, except she renamed her "Beebies"!  :o   Can you believe it?  :P

Deiti was a calico(mostly torti) kitten that my MIL's coworker found in her driveway in the middle of a blizzard.  She was all of 3 days old, if that.  I ended up raising her and we discovered that she had attitude early on.  She thought she was a goddess, so Deiti it was!  lol  She is with my Mom also and was redubbed "Deedi" on her arrival.  :P

There's my list, sorry for rambling.  :o)
BPO does not have my permission to use my photos.