Author Topic: Who would have known...  (Read 8719 times)

SeraphWolf79

Who would have known...
« on: October 18, 2005, 09:05:31 am »
OK, so, all of this time I've been told because of my location and the breed Nanook is, I should get one of these baby swimming pools for him, because Huskies love the water.  Well, this past summer I got one.  And he hated it.  Couldn't get the dog near it.  Not only that, but I do believe he's been tortured with the water hose lol because he'll run and hide every time I go for it.  So, I guess I got one of those strange out of the ordinary Huskies...that's fine, I can live with that.  I've never had a dog that liked the water anyway.   :)

Last week I decided to take a different route on our walk, to a park not too far off from my house.  There's this big creek that runs through the middle of it, and while we were walking, Nanook decides he wants to walk along side of it.  Fine, I thought, maybe he's thirsty.  So we're walking along, when suddenly, kerplunk!  He just dives right in!  This dog absolutely loves the water!  Now, every time we go to the park, he thinks he needs a swim.

*scratches her head*  Maybe he just didn't like my swimming pool? lol

Or perhaps he's telling me, "Mom, I like doing certain things, but on my own time, not because other people want me to..."

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
Re: Who would have known...
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2005, 09:19:28 am »
Maybe he just likes swimming with fishies for company  ;)
RIP former BPO

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2005, 09:47:37 am »
Keiko does not like the water either, unless it has a shoreline.

SeraphWolf79

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2005, 09:48:41 am »
Could very well be  ;D 

SeraphWolf79

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2005, 09:51:27 am »
I know, this whole dog liking water thing is entirely new to me, seriously...I've NEVER had a dog that liked the water.

I've been told by several people, including a Sibe breeder, that they love the water.  And plus, my living in Oklahoma, I know Nanook gets really really hot with that heavy coat of his. 

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2005, 10:21:02 am »
LOL  my lab isn't a huge fan of water and my Pyr tries to jump in the shower with me LOL he just can't get enough of it.

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

Offline greek4

• Majestic Member
  • Kole with Maia, Baxter, Rocco, and Cody
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2005, 02:41:52 am »
That is crazy, maybe he didn't like the brand of pool you got for him or the color.
Thanks,

Emily and 1 husband, 1 boy, 1 on the way, and 4 crazy dogs

Offline NoDogNow

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2005, 02:46:03 am »
It might have been the smell of the plastic pool, too.   Some people get headaches or nausea from the smell of plastic; dogs are way more sensitive to smells than we are!

Sheryl, Dogless and sad

chaosndestruction

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2005, 01:38:27 pm »
Arisha LOVES water. She attacks the water hose and when she thinks we aren't looking she'll go for a swim in the horse's water trough. But she doesn't seem to like our plastic pool that we got for her either.

angelsmama

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2005, 03:51:35 pm »
angel is like that she has a fit if you try to give her a bath  and woke use plastic pools but she loves creeks and lakes ???

SeraphWolf79

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2005, 08:15:15 am »
LOL  my lab isn't a huge fan of water and my Pyr tries to jump in the shower with me LOL he just can't get enough of it.

Nina

See!  That's so strange, and labs are generally known to love the water too  :D

Offline siberescuegirl

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
    • Tails of the Tundra Siberian Husky Rescue
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2005, 05:27:45 pm »
It really depends on the dog - some Huskies love water, some will only tolerate it to help them cool off in the heat. My Husky, Indy, is in the latter group. He doesn't love it, but if he's hot he will wade in a bit.