Author Topic: homemade dog treats  (Read 8858 times)

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
homemade dog treats
« on: October 19, 2005, 11:34:59 pm »
Our Humane Society has a booth twice a year at a local craft show where we sell homemade dog and cat treats. While researching recipes for new treats we could sell, I ran across this site:

http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Ranch/1011/dog.htm#snicker

with tons of great suggestions. (It also has newfs at the top of the page!).

What are your favorite homemade dog treat recipes??
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline Tulsas' Dad

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
Re: homemade dog treats
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2005, 02:00:46 am »
Thanks for the link Jeanne.
Those recipes look like fun.
Looks like great Christmas Gift material.
John
The scientific name for an animal that doesn't either run from or fight its enemies, is Lunch.--Michael Friedman

Anakalia

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2005, 02:52:42 am »
Thank you so much for that link!!  I'm saving it in my favorites.  I figure one day I'll get the courage to try baking again, and I would love to try baking doggie treats! ;D

Andi

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2005, 03:23:41 am »
I click on the link and it says:

"The web site you are trying to access has exceeded its allocated data transfer. Visit our help area for more information."

WAAAH!!!  I wanna see the recipies!!!

HA! HA! The power of BPO!! We overloaded its capacity for views!! Luckily, I copied and saved all the recipes in a Word document so if anyone wants them, just PM me and give me your e-mail.

Jeanne
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline doglover

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2005, 05:06:24 am »
I got the link to work. Just so you know.Thanks for the post. I swear if I start baking for the dogs my hubby will go nuts. He already thinks I feed the dogs better than the rest of us. :D.
Jenn

Anakalia

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2005, 05:10:39 am »
Hheheeeee!!  I just got a really good idea.  I'm gonna bake some doggie treats and tell Tony I made cookies.  He'll be so excited he just might eat some before I tell him they're for the dogs!   :o  OK.... maybe not.... that's not nice, I know!

Andi

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2005, 05:58:05 am »
Hheheeeee!!  I just got a really good idea.  I'm gonna bake some doggie treats and tell Tony I made cookies.  He'll be so excited he just might eat some before I tell him they're for the dogs!   :o  OK.... maybe not.... that's not nice, I know!

Andi

LOL you are soo bad  ;D
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2005, 06:45:40 am »
A breeder friend of mine has a Mother in Law that LOVES her puppies and made this recipe.

Combine:

8 cups white flour

4 cups whole wheat flour

8 cups oatmeal

12 cups grated cheese

MIX IN

2 beaten eggs

1/2 cup oil

1/2 cup milk

1 cup liquid honey

4 cups warm water MIX WELL Roll out on floured board ( not to much flour)around 1 inch

thick. BAKE AT 350 FOR 20-25 MINUTES.

if YOU WANT YOU CAN DIVIDE IN HALF FOR SMALLER BATCH.
BPO's Official Mistress of Mirth

Charter Member of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club

"And you will know us by the trail of skank."

Anakalia

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2005, 06:55:30 am »

Andi

Its not horrible per se ... there were some peanut butter cookies that sounded pretty good on there Andi!!!

HAHAHAHA!  I was thinking more along the lines of the garlic treats!  4 Cloves of Garlic! WHOOOHOOO!!  That's enough to make ya wanna clear outta the house! lol

Andi

Offline MustLove Dogs

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2005, 06:57:51 am »
Thanks for the recipes!!!! Maybe I'll make one for my new pup    ;D

I love to bake and always wanted to try a dog cookie recipe  :)
"The more boys I meet the more I like dogs"

"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion"

I'm blonde... whats your exc

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2005, 08:37:59 am »
Allrecipes also has a bunch of dog recipes. Here is a list ofsome of their dog recipes: http://mrlt.allrecipes.com/lists/195.asp

Come christmas time I am going to make these for presents to the doggies in my life:  http://cookie.allrecipes.com/az/DgTrts.asp (it is reviewed with a perfect score by 83 people; can't beat that!)
RIP former BPO

Offline Fumble

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2005, 07:52:20 pm »
i got the cutest dog cookbook from barnes and noble nearly 5 years ago!  i had a really picky eater shihtuz at the time, and now that i have my newfie, who loves everything food, i can't find it!  :P but i know you can get it and it has some really cute recipes!!!
"My newfoundlands live my life as passionately as i live theirs"
"I slip the hater of what i've become.  they slip the halter of what they've been, and we live together, passionately, changed"
-Both from "in the company of newfies"

WE REPRESENT THE LOLLIPOP GUILD!!!

Offline 2dobies

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2005, 04:22:08 pm »
Here's one that I make all the time for my dogs.  Have also sold them at craft fairs, and they go fast!
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1 cup peanut butter
1 cup skim milk
Preheat oven to 350
Combine flour & baking powder; in a separate bowl, combine peanut butter & milk; mix wet ingred. w/ dry ingred. and knead together.  Roll out to 1/4" thick. Cut w/ cookie cutter (I use bone-shape), bake for 10-15 min.
I make these for all my human family's dogs at Christmas.  So simple, and the dogs love them.  PS you can underbake them for a couple of minutes and they wont be as crunchy--good for those older small dogs with shakey teeth!
DOGS LAUGH, BUT THEY LAUGH WITH THEIR TAILS.

Offline declanssexymama

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Um, I got BIG!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2005, 05:26:05 pm »
OOooohhh, this is so cool!  Now I can do some holiday baking but not have the cookies etc. lying around for ME to eat!!!
God help me to be the person my dog thinks I am.

Anakalia

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2005, 05:44:49 pm »
I'm sooo excited, I'm going to try to make doggie treats!!!  I've decided nothing I bake for human consumption turns out right, so I'm going to try to bake for my doggies instead!  Wish me luck......I bet my furbabies won't complain! hehehe ;D

Andi