Author Topic: How to make a dog unafraid of the backyard?  (Read 1688 times)

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
How to make a dog unafraid of the backyard?
« on: October 20, 2005, 09:37:04 am »
Do you guys have any tips to make a dog not afraid of their backyard?

Zoey has some Bernese Mountain dog friends with a fenced in backyard. One will run around with her and they have SO much fun, but the other won't because he is afraid of the backyard. He will play with her right up until she goes past the porch. Apparently he used to love it back there, but then something happened (maybe he encountered another animal or something) and now he hates it. I want him to like it so he will play with Zoey too!

Do you think that they should wait for him to be ready to go back there, or try making him walk back there on a leash and giving him treats for being back there? I suggested hiding treats in the yard, but that won't work since he wont even know they are there without going back there.

Any tips? I want him to be unafraid so he can be zoey's playmate  8)
RIP former BPO

Offline lilysmom

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • When I rescued Lily, she rescued me right back!
    • View Profile
Re: How to make a dog unafraid of the backyard?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2005, 10:43:20 am »
does he have a favorite toy or blanket?  Maybe you could try laying it out just a foot or so and have him get it.  Then try a little farther and a little farther.  I don't think I would make him though.  It might make him permanently fearful of it.  Will he withstand a blindfold?  I've used this method on a horse before, not a dog.  So I don't know if it would work.  And the dog has to really trust his owner.  Blindfold the dog.  coax him along with a treat.  When you get to the center of the yard, lay down with him stroking him and talking to him the whole time.  Get him really relaxed.  Try a light massage or something.  Keep giving treats and telling him how good he is.  When his breathing has become slow and regular, slowly remove the blindfold, but keep him laying down continuing to stroke him and talk to him.  If he trusts his owner enough, he'll be able to trust the situation.  It might take a couple of tries, but he will eventually follow his owner out to the yard.  See if that works.  If not, maybe someone else has some ideas. :)
When I rescued Lily, she rescued me right back!