Author Topic: Great Pryness Barking Problems  (Read 15507 times)

Offline sams mom

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Great Pryness Barking Problems
« on: April 29, 2005, 03:07:06 pm »
I have an 8yr old Great Pryness who we love dearly! But ever since we brought him home, he's had a terrible barking problem. We have gone through several bark/training collars & methods. Nothing seems to really work, does anyone  any other suggestions.
Thank!
Sams Mom

GYPSY JAZMINE

Re: Great Pryness Barking Problems
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2005, 03:53:41 pm »
In what situations is he doing the barking?....Great Pyrenees have been bred to gaurd & that means they are going to bark...It is a breed trait & there isn't too much you can do about it...With my 9 month old Pyr, Samson, I have pretty much broken him of barking at passerbys when we are in our yard...But, because our fence isn't up yet, he is always on lead in the yard so when I see something coming I know he is going to go off on I give a sharp tug on the lead & say "no barks"...When he just watches the passerbys & doesn't bark & praise him lavishly & at first he got a treat every time...I have no phased out the treats & just reward him with praise...Now, when we are in the house & he hears something outside that he thinks is bark worthy...forge t it...We just thank him for letting us know & hope he stops before we are half crazy...lol... Good luck!

Rufiesmom

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2005, 03:31:14 am »
You are right, that is their job!  Rufus is on patrol at night and regularly wanders through the house looking out the windows and warning all the lions and tigers and bears to keep away.  I do feel sorry for the neighbors but on the other hand we will all know if someone or something that shouldn't be there is lurking around.  Theres always ear plugs!

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2005, 09:29:47 am »
I dont have a Great Pyr. but hehe since you are getting ear plugs, get some for your friends on the street too. that way you can let him walk around and be his guarding handsome self all day long lol...

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

Rufiesmom

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2005, 10:59:47 am »
Good idea!!  Ear plugs for the whole street are in order.  All the other dogs in the neighborhood and there are a lot, are all quiet at night.  I think maybe he has the permanent night watch.  Gives him plenty of sleep time in the day.

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2005, 11:54:08 am »
Thats my kind of boy, up all night and sleeping in the day lol..... He's got it down for how to make sure that when everyone else is sleeping, he is up making loud noices, and when he is sleeping he wants everyone else to be quiet so he can sleep lol.... Smart dog. Maybe you should tell everyone on the street that it would be appreciated if they could keep the volume down during day, I am sure you would be everyones favorite then  ;D

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

Rufiesmom

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2005, 12:14:57 pm »
During the day when he is asleep HE IS ASLEEP!  We have considered barking at him in the daytime to see how he likes it but the neighbors already probably wonder about us...lol 

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2005, 12:57:37 pm »
I have heard that Pyrs are nocturnal...Bu t, Samson sleeps most of the day if I let him & most of the night also...He is a PYRFECT napping buddy...lol!

Offline kildeskennel

• Paw-meister
  • Beautiful beauty
    • View Profile
    • Kildes Kennel
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2005, 04:10:36 pm »
My Kuv, Beauty is a barker, she has gotten better as she gets older, but still does alot of unneccessary barking at times when watching is more in order.  We worked with her alot on her barking incessantly.  She alerts us to problems, or what she feels is an uncomfortable situation, but after we are aware she continues to alert instead of "waiting" for our lead.  I don't use bark collars, and tried a shack collar at one pint not for the barking (she was a car chaser)  however the breed, and I assume the Pyr's are the same as they are descendants of the Kuv's, have incredibly HIGH pain tolerances, a jolt that should lay a dog down did not phase her, therefore I found it a totally waste of time, and I hated that it did inflict pain/discomfort even if she did not respond as desired.  I use positive reinforcement training with her, lots of praise and a treat for obeying.  But as another member stated they are guard breeds and thisi s what they do.  However they should know when to bark and when to be "quiet"  Beauty is much better and does not often bark out of control anymore.  I don't think there is any "one" way to redirect your companion, I believe you have to find what works for your boy's personality type.  Just like kids, what works to teach one won't always work for the other!  Good Luck!
Happiness comes of the capacity to feel deeply, to enjoy simply, to think freely, to risk life, to be needed.
Storm Jameson

Offline Jaimie

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2005, 03:38:41 pm »
You could always train your dog to bark on command and then train him when to be quiet.  When he begins to bark at something tell him good job and then the " quiet" command.  I don't have any experience with the Great Pyr so I am not sure if it would work but maybe it's worth a try.  Good luck and maybe you should get some ear plugs just in case... lol

Offline pyrmom420

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2005, 08:03:03 pm »
Gandalf's barking was the one thing that has almost caused a divorce, and my searching the house for a shotgun to use on a "blankity blank" neighbor lady >:( (I use the term lady because bitch is too good for her!) Anyway, my hsuband finally convinced me to have him de-barked. It was an expensive surgery, and it didn't take! I miss the deep WOOF now ists more of a whoop, but now everyone realizes he only barks when he thinks there is danger. We live in a neighborhood with LOTS of screaming kids, and barking dogs. My husband is actually selling the house and we are looking for rural property so Gandalf can bark at all the true dangers, and he won't feel the need to protect the entire community!

We also covered the bottom half of all the windows with that tacky contact paper for bathroom windows, our trainer suggested it. It really works, and it kinda grows on you after awhile. No curtains to mess with!

Good luck!