Author Topic: Do any of you ever get this?  (Read 16739 times)

GYPSY JAZMINE

Re: Do any of you ever get this?
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2005, 08:59:58 am »
"Does he like children?"....I always answer..."Yes, he says they taste just like chicken"!...LOL!

Luvmydanes

« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2005, 09:07:00 am »
Gr8Dame - I HATE when people mistake Dane for a lab too. They say "I've never seen a black lab that big" It is annoying. They don't ask much about the children since we have 3 under the age of 4, obviously he is good with kids. I do think people mean well though, they are inquisitive cause it isn't everyday you see a 140 lb dog walking around, you know?

Kandi

GR8DAME

« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2005, 09:48:40 am »
I used to get annoyed sometimes at the stupid questions, but now I just shrug and answer as best I can. Danes are very unusual in our area and the least I can do is be an ambassador for the breed. Mostly people just think I am crazy,with two danes and a doberman, two kids and a husband, full time job and both kids play year-round hockey.....Com e to think of it, I don't have much time to answer questions!
Stella

dohertyswissy

« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2005, 01:41:12 pm »
GR8DAME - I just love those answers!!  LOL!!  We took Ranger, who is only 5 mths old and weighs 69 lbs, to the Farmer's Market the other day.  One woman walked by and claimed that he must be some sort of mixed breed, definitely not pure bred.  He's a pure bred Greater Swiss Mountain Dog!!!  People also confuse him with a Bernese.  I'm a fairly tiny woman, so the one that always gets my goat is when someone asks me how big he's going to get.  When I respond with 120-140 lbs, then they exclaim, "Well, honey, he is just going to pull you right down!"  Um...NO...he's a sweet boy and it's called TRAINING, people!!  However, in this same trip, a St. Bernard owner came up to us, asks us to confirm his breed, and just went on about how gorgeous he was!  Asked all kinds of good questions, like "How did you decide on a Swissy?" and "Did he meet your expectations of the breed?"...good/bad points.  By the end of the encounter, her son was convinced they needed to add a Swissy to the family!  LOL!!  Always great to meet a fellow big/giant dog lover!!  ;D

Offline coonie1970

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2005, 01:51:33 pm »
I always get "Is that a newfie??" UH NO!! You can sure tell there arent many St.s around here or Newfoundlander s eather.I have to admit though that we always get alot of attention when we take Judge out. Most people are really good with him.I really dont like when they say " Oh Its cujo." I prefure Bethtoven myself.
Karen
Karen :) Image hosting by Photobucket

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2005, 01:58:45 pm »
I want one of those shirts too!

except I'd add...and my dog can kick your dog's butt.  :P

GR8DAME

« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2005, 03:20:50 pm »
I used to have a sign on the gate to my yard behind the garage, because it was out of sight of the house. It had a goofy cartoon picture of a smiling doberman on it and the words "I can reach this fence from anywhere in 3.2 seconds. Can you?" I also had a bumper sticker that read "My doberman is smarter than your honor student."  I never had anyone test out the fence sign, but I sure had alot of verbal and nonverbal comments on the bumper sticker LOL
Stella

Luvmydanes

« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2005, 04:09:38 pm »
HAHA Stella! I definately need to get one of those signs for our yard. I love the fact that Dane is so protective over "his" family. It makes me feel so good. And when my kids even so much as walk out of the room, Danes ears go up and he is just watching. We have to tell him "Dane, the kids are ok...its ok" and he's fine. But any intruder would be stupid to break in or come on our property with him here. Nitro isn't at that protective "this is my house" stage yet, so we'll see with him. :)

Kandi

Offline CalistogaPyr

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2005, 12:37:22 pm »
I live in a relatively small town & EVERYONE stops me to ask about Bo!  Most frequently I get asked about how much she weighs (120lbs), how old is she (almost 2), and how big is her poop (huh?)!!  Sometimes I think I should wear a t-shirt with the answers to the F.A.Qs about my dog!! =)  She sure is an attention getter, though, and I'm really proud to be on the other end of the leash of such a majestic creature!
Jenn & Bo
"Be the change you wish to see in the world"-Gandhi

Nicole

« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2005, 12:46:35 pm »
HA! Great stories! Cabeza is a big boy (though not as big as most of yours! He's 100 pounds). The other day I was walking him, and three little boys ran up to me and said, "Oh my GOD! Is that a real bear? Where'd you get him!?" I just laughed and told them he was. I don't get all of the attention that purebred dogs get, cuz he's not TOTALLY huge, so I take what I can get! hahahah! Don't complain about the questions you guys! At least your baby gets noticed! hehehehe!!!!

Offline mamadog

• Big Paw Certified
  • This is me and my Finn
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2005, 12:50:20 pm »
Here's a few answers to those timeless questions:
"What do you feed him?" Miracle Grow
"How did he get so big?" He was born next to this nuclear power plant....
and my favorite;
"Does he like children?" Very much, why, are you missing one?

LOL!!!!  I love your answers!!!  Mind if I use them myself??

Vicki

Offline lburrell

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2005, 12:51:48 pm »
This is a funny thread.  Number 1 question for me is:  'he's a saint bernard, right?'  Not quite.  The second most common comment is 'Look at the size of that head!'  Mostly at drive-thru windows when Jack sticks his head out to sniff out treats.

Funniest incident is when I was sitting outside an auto supply store in my mid-size car with Jack in the back seat and in pulls a full size pick up truck with a motley looking man behind the wheel.  As he was getting out of the truck, he spotted Jack and laughed and asked if I wanted to see his...after pausing for a moment to make sure I wasn't gonna see something I didn't want to, he pulls out a teeny tiny chiuahua out of the truck.  Me, a chick in a car with a 90 pound dog and he, a manly man in a pickup truck with a chihuahua.  I chuckled all evening over that one!

Isn't it fun having a big dog!?

Lori

Nicole

« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2005, 12:56:10 pm »
That's a great story, Lori! hahahaha! Too funny! And, your Jack is GORGEOUS!

Offline mamadog

• Big Paw Certified
  • This is me and my Finn
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2005, 12:59:57 pm »
The thing I love about having an IW... people don't know the breed cause it's not very common. So it's annoying that I can't walk down the street without everyone stopping me to ask questions, but I can answer however I want.  I don't want to give the breed a bad name at all, but I go for walks with my sister at night and lots of times it will be men going "Hey, cool dog. What kind is it? Can I pat him?"  and a million other questions. From across the street I will answer their questions honestly about the breed, and I make sure to up-play their protectiveness of their family. No, you can't pat him cause you're a stranger and he will bite. "they mean dogs?" they ask. No, I tell them. They are very sweet, but very protective and this one has been trained well to protect me. It's dark and I don't know you... he has been trained to attack on command, but because of the setting I cannot be sure he won't bite you anyway.
That usually settles it. I always say what a wonderful breed IW's are and that they make great family dogs. But because he is so big, and so un-usual...he works well to scare off people who need scaring!

Vicki

Nicole

« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2005, 02:20:30 pm »
HAHAHAHA! Great tactic, Vicki! I can see from your avatar how true that is! (NOT!!!)  ::) ::) ::) ::)

My boyfriend's best friend's mom used to breed IW's. She had a whole house full of them! It was so cool! They were such nice babies!!!!