Author Topic: A big white one & a big black one...lol!  (Read 18946 times)

GYPSY JAZMINE

A big white one & a big black one...lol!
« on: April 29, 2005, 08:01:30 pm »
It has been officially decided!...By the time our Pyr Samson is 18 months old we are going to get him a companion & have decided on a Newfie!!!...I have been gently nudging my hubby towards a Newf companion for Samson since we got him about 5 & 1/2 months ago...I've been talking about how awesome they look, their sweet temperment & showing him pics on the net...Tonight, after showing him pics here, he said, "I think we'll get one of those dogs for Samson"...LOL!...At first we were absolutly "UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCE" getting another dog of ANY kind until Samson was no longer with us...heheheheh ehehe...Damn I love that man but he is SSSSSOOOOOOO easy!...lol!

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
Re: A big white one & a big black one...lol!
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2005, 08:06:41 pm »
Congratulation s!! You are a lucky woman.  There is a rumor that the man that loves a woman who loves Newfies is an extraordinary man!!  My husband has put up with me through three...good times and awful ones....we're about to get a little brown boy to be the baby brother to our big Landseer boy!! Yippee!!!  GOTTA have two!!!  Should be a rule!!!

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2005, 08:07:10 pm »
P.S...Can anyone tell me the pros AND cons of this gorgeous breed?

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2005, 08:19:42 pm »
I am now reading the thread "Tell me about Newfoundlands'...Getting lots of info. there!...& I am very lucky!...My hubby loves all of our critters (in size) from our Pyr..to out cats..to our bunnies...to our guinea pig...He has never once falted a critter for being a critter..lol.. .I am a lucky woman!

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2005, 08:23:58 pm »
Chester is a living doll!..Love those eyes!

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2005, 09:32:48 pm »
I am a little outside here lol.... not having a newfie, mine are bullmastiffs and OEM and then a couple of other medium sized rescues and the cat and the parrot and the degus. But I know how it goes with hubbies. they say,nooooooo and then when you make your move slowly, smoothly and quietly they are suckers lol.... Mine has said hmmmm I am sure the last three dogs, that no more dogs in this house, but voila, here we are three dogs later and we are still married. He is even putting up with the cat, who he is allergic to and have to take meds every day. We just gotta love them!!!!!

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2005, 09:36:37 pm »
((((((Marit)))))..Sister Friend!....lol...TY for understanding! ;)

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2005, 09:49:31 pm »
 ;D Well, you know we girls have to stick together, just let them think they are in control and then pow we hit them hard and fast lol......

Marit

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2005, 10:37:07 pm »
Pros:  there is not a sweeter dog on the planet.  My boy Cowboy is a therapy dog and when he was tested with a bunch of other Newfies...they ALL passed.  They are BIG time attention getters so we've met SO many wonderful dog lovers!  They are smart, easy to train, want to please, beautiful, charming, funny!!

Some of the cons, to me, are mere inconveniences ....the drool!  (we keep golf towels by the back door to wipe faces after they drink water), shedding, and they don't do well in the heat (so they stay with me in the air conditioning.. .cuz I hate heat too!)  

The really BAD cons:  they can have SERIOUS health issues!  Find the best breeder you can:  one with the most health clearances, the most responsible, the most inter-active!  Our first Newf had NO hip socket on one side, severe dysplasia on the other, our beautiful Landseer has epilepsy...the bad form with cluster seizures.   Would I trade him?  Not on your life!  Do your homework!  I called the Health and Longevity committee with the Newf. Club of America to get informal recommendation s on breeders.  They were a great help!

Good luck!!

Offline pitas

• Paw-meister
  • Mom! Let us out, please!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2005, 08:53:52 pm »
Gotta agree!  Two or in our case three is tons of fun! You end up stealing old bath towels etc...from family & friends just for the dogs!  LOL!  They are tons of fun and keep you surrounded with love and licks! 

Enjoy!

Anita & the goofy Landseers from NJ

Offline kildeskennel

• Paw-meister
  • Beautiful beauty
    • View Profile
    • Kildes Kennel
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2005, 09:57:07 pm »
Men are so funny!  AND if they truly love you, I think they will put up with just about anything you bring home!  My mom has 36 cats, none inside they are divided into 3 batches, we call them the front yard bunch, the spoiled bunch, and the side yard bunch.  Each has their own plastic plate and each feeds off the same plate twice a day, mom goes out and its like a mad rush to get on the picnic tables she uses to feed.  The spoiled ones are the ones that are to timid to be out in the great outdoors, my dad built them a kitty condo, then there are the dogs, 4 of them, horses, potbelly pigs, goats, sheep  and TONS more variety, we had a raccoon too growing up!  I brought a litter of possums home one day when the neighbor dog killed the mother, we tried so hard to get him off her but it was a bad thing!  They were so little mom almost died...They needed bottles and warm cottom balls to their bottoms so they would pee and poop!  She did not let us handle them often for fear we would tame them to much, out of the 7 I had 5 lived and we released back to teh wild.  As an adult I ahve fixed broken wings on birds, fed babies the cats have killed parents on, and my kids bring all sorts of fun things home!  My mom hides her new animals away and gradually brings them out, my dad gets so disgusted sometimes that she sneaks new things in all the time!  I learned all me best tricks from her!  Every year my mom and dad have a petting zoo at their place for the church youngsters!  They have a BEAUTIFUL place, it reminds me of a fairy land.  fountains and my dad plants and landscapes for privacy, its just gorgeous!
Happiness comes of the capacity to feel deeply, to enjoy simply, to think freely, to risk life, to be needed.
Storm Jameson

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2005, 09:00:36 am »
Oh my gosh, that place sounds like heaven, please give us something to look at,like a pic or so lol.... And I know what you mean about bringing all the birdies, cotton tails and scirrals and everything else in to "mend" and then get out to the wild. It is sometimes heartbreaking though, but how rewarding when we actually manage to keep a little one alive. I once had a litter of cotton tails, that cant have been more than just a few days old, everyone told me, I would not be able to save them, but I wasnt going to give up without a try, It was some tough weeks, all the tiny bottles all the kitten formula, and all the warm damp cotton balls to make them go potty, but at the end when everyone except one made it, it was all worth it. Mind you the bags under my eyes were rather big lol.....

And yes our hubbies must be of a special breed too, to put up with it all, I mean when they dont get any food when it is supper time, because you are sitting with a bunch of animals who need to be fed first, or when they dont really sleep all that well because the bed is way way too crowded, or when they get big giant slobber kisses from a dog who has just emptied the cats litter box.

Hmmmm do you think they have a show for them, so we could bring them out to show them off to the world, and tell everyone how good they are lol.... Maybe that is something Pig Paws should start, a day for all the men in our doggie lives lol...

Marit

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2005, 10:17:36 am »
Woo-hoo Gypsy! It's awesome that you are gonna get a Newf. We are in hoping to get a brother for Bear in the fall so that we'll have 2 big, slobbery, messy, hairy Newfs lazing around the house. Can't wait. There is no better lovable teddy bear than a Newf!
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2005, 01:13:14 pm »
LOL all!...Love the stories & comments!...The health issue...I'll have to look into that...The drool & slobber...lol. ..our Great Pyrenees is Captain Drool U.S.A.!...lol...I keep the mop in the kitchen leaning against the counter all day because when he drinks from his water dish it is a great oppertunity to mop the floor...AGAIN!..lol...I am still thinking things over & have awhile as we won't get another dog until Samson is at least 18 months old maybe closer to 2...I just LOVE the big goofy dogs!...Now, as far as my hubby goes, we could only have 1 cat & "that's it"!!!...We have 8 cats in the house, 2 house bunnies, 1 guinea pig (we lost our very elderly g. pig 2 weeks ago) & our Pyr...My hubby ADORES each & every one of them & never faults an animal for being an animal...He never complains & pitches in to help with their care as do my children...I am a lucky woman for sure!

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2005, 10:34:20 pm »
FOR SURE!!  I think that's a brilliant idea to celebrate the men in our lives!  "Darling Husband" has just taken on the job of the new baby in the family...signe d the AKC papers and calls twice a day to check on "his baby"!  This after raising four human babies, innumerable dogs, cats, rats, etc.!   We are all so fortunate with 1) choice of men in our lives and 2) size of dogs in our lives.  (feel free to exchange priority!  ;))