Author Topic: A big white one & a big black one...lol!  (Read 16123 times)

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
Re: A big white one & a big black one...lol!
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2005, 02:38:32 pm »
Sorry, ladies, but I have the opposite problem. My husband wants to keep EVERYTHING I bring home for rescue and acts like an abused child when I tell him we can't keep everything. He pouts and gets all misty-eyed. We just went through this when I asked him to pick up a border collie puppy in a neighboring town so it could get to rescue in Florida (we are in Louisiana). He drives truck for a living so he took her with him in his truck for a couple days, then when it was time to hook her up with the transport to FL he didn't want to let her go. I had a hard time convincing him that 6 dogs is WAY too many (plus 8 cats right now, too)!! I'm constantly hearing, "OH, we're keeping this one!" It's maddening!!
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline mamadog

• Big Paw Certified
  • This is me and my Finn
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2005, 02:47:35 pm »
We don't have this problem. My husband had a cat when I met him. Then my sister had a cat she had rescued and couldn't keep (her landlord didn't allow pets) so we took her too. We we like "do we want 2 cats?" but decided to take her. Then I wanted a dog, and so did he. But at the shelter (after months of looking) we found sisters and didn't have the heart to seperate them..so we fell in love with both. We were a bit freaked out at first, like what were we thinking, 2 cats 2 dogs and a son!  But my husband also wanted an IW and we found a breeder close with a 5 month old boy, so we had to take him too.
There is no way either of us would bring home a new pet right now! Not till we build our house. It will be much bigger than this one and be on 15 acres in the country. Then the sky is the limit! But we're full for now.  Though honestly, if we found an animal that REALLY needed us, we could not turn it away. I know we couldn't.....

Vicki

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2005, 06:45:59 am »
LOL!...I must confess & dear Lord don't tell my hubby...lol... When Samson had to have a bland diet the 1st dy this week he wasn't feeling well I had the choice between 93% lean ground beef or 81 % lean from my freezer...Well, Samson got the good stuff & my family got the 81% in their Enchiladas last night...I almost feel bad about it...lol!

Offline mamadog

• Big Paw Certified
  • This is me and my Finn
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2005, 06:54:54 am »
Gypsy,

LOL  That's too funny! You should feel no guilt at all, at least you're still feeding your human family!  If I hear that you've chained your husband and kids up in the back yard with a cute little dog house...feedin g them a big shared bowl...then I'll feel differently!
The real question is, did you tell your family they were eating 93%??

Vicki

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2005, 08:54:05 am »
They didn't ask...I didn't tell...& it was really good anyway!...lol!

Nicole

« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2005, 09:28:18 am »
AAAAAAAAAAAGH!!!! Those men! How funny to hear stories that are so similar to mine! By big boy Cabeza (my Newfie mix) was supposed to be a foster. My boyfriend threw a major tantrum when he found out we were going to foster an 80 pound puppy with heartworms! He was like, "No WAY. NO." And...now....f ive years later....hahah a! That puppy is 100 pounds of MY BOYFRIEND'S DOG. HA! He goes to work with him every single day. They are connected at the hip!

So, now I'm working on getting a Newf puppy. He's convinced, but says we can't do it until we buy a bigger house. I've been showing him pictures and I bought "In the Company of Newfies." By Rhoda Lerman of Blue Heaven Kennels. Have any of you ladies read it? Its phenomenal. She writes so beautifully about the bond between human and dog.

Speaking of Blue Heaven Kennels...I think that's where I want to get my pup from. Are any of you familiar with Rhoda and her dogs?

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2005, 12:21:51 pm »
I have one of Rhoda's pups, Cowboy.  He was originally sold to a person (questionable description of species, here) and not well treated.  I took him because he is SOOO wonderful and adorable and easy to live with.  What none of us knew is that he has epilepsy...the bad kind with cluster seizures.  Rhoda has been tremendously supportive and we are having all the dogs participate in the epilepsy study through a consortium of universities.  She is very consciencious and a wonderful source of information and she breeds beautiful dogs!  Cowboy's epilepsy truly is idiopathic.... we just don't know how he got it.  She hasn't had any dogs with this disease before.  I think it's just one of those bad, sad heartbreaking things that can happen with this truly remarkable breed.  I do know that it is in one of Top Mast's lines (Marge Wilmot and she's trying to get a grip on it!) and Cowboy has a lot of Top Mast in him.....

This is Cowboy:

Nicole

« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2005, 03:08:06 pm »
OH!! Cowboy is BEAUTIFUL! I hope that you guys can come up with something for the epilepsy. I'm sure Rhoda is awesome. Just having read her book and had a few e-mails with her has me convinced that she is the one I want to get a pup from. My boyfriend wants a black, but, I defintely want a Landseer. Our current boy is black. I think it would be great to have one of each.

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2005, 10:46:13 am »
I think there is NOTHING in the world better than a pair of Newfies....no matter what color!  Here's our new baby, Chester. Cowboy is such a patient big brother to him!  He's put up with needle puppy teeth, getting his favorite bone stolen, climbed and mounted!  There is SO much tail wagging going on around here, now!

Offline Jaimie

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2005, 10:50:32 am »
Chester is adorable, now it is official, I HAVE to get a newfie.

Offline poofynewfy

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2005, 06:16:50 pm »
That's a great shot of Chester!

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2005, 08:13:54 am »
Thanks!  He's learned to use the "big dog" drinking fountain and won't drink "still water" now!  Didn't take long to spoil him!

Actually he's doing amazing!  We've had him a week and he's only had two accidents....b oth my fault!  It got chilly and I closed the kitchen door so he couldn't get out to pee.  He still whines some at night...but I think it's because he sees Cowboy on his bed and he'd like to cuddle with him!  Until we get Cowboy's seizures under control, I think it's safer for Chester to sleep in his own space!!!  It's all I can do to not tuck him in with us!!!

Nicole

« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2005, 01:20:22 pm »
AWWWW Chester is the cutest thing! And he's so lucky to have a big fountain to drink from. My doggie is a bit spoiled that way, too. I have to change his water several times a day, wash the bowl....I put a little fountain down for him, but he emptied it way too quickly, and burned up the pump! AGH! I'm going to have to get him a bigger one.

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2005, 02:57:08 pm »
We got the fountain idea from a friend that has two Bernese Mt. Dogs....and they have a huge wine barrel fountain! It  beats having to add water to their bowls every 15 minutes!!!