Author Topic: What I didn't expect from owning a newfie .....  (Read 24745 times)

Offline LDT

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
Re: What I didn't expect from owning a newfie .....
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2008, 10:59:50 am »
My wife and I have been owned by dogs our entire lives. We've had many breeds, and our Newfies really do top them off.  They snore, loudly, sneak up and lay behind you (we've been on our butts many times!)Our male is so lazy that if he is in front of a door you need to open, we have to physically move him by tugging his legs, it frigging halarious! We love 'em so much we are getting another new Newfie pup July 1st. When we are cooking the dogs litter themselves in the kitchen making us constantly walking over, on and around them, would not have it any other way! We feel truly blessed to share our lives with such amazing, gentle giants! Oh, we have an industrial central vac system.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2008, 07:57:42 pm by LDT »
I have tried nothing and I'm all out of Ideas!

jesday

« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2008, 11:30:46 am »
Our male is so lazy that if he is in front of a door you need to open, we have to physically move him by tugging his legs, it frigging halarious!

Others have already seen this, but speaking of lazy Newfs. They got pretty muddy from a walk and needed a little spray down. Syrus was done for the day.
http://homepage.mac.com/jesday/filechute/Tired%20Syrus_01.wmv

Welcome to the world of Newfies and to BPO.

jesday

« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2008, 11:33:37 am »
uggh! I can't get this quote business figured out. Sorry the whole reply is in quotes. I'll get it one of these days.

Offline Newly Newfed

• Top Doggie Dog
  • Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2008, 08:21:02 pm »
Ah Newfies......h ow can you have anything but love in your heart for them. They are the best!!!! I would rather have my kitchen become a lake and my walls get full of drool before I would live in a house without a Newf.  :)

Well said, Jamie. 

I have owned many dogs in my life, but no matter how much I loved them, I have never felt about them the way I do about Sierra.  I can't find the words to describe it, but there is just something special about her.  She has spoiled me to all other breeds.

What I didn't expect from owning a Newfie...was how madly, ridiculously in love I'd fall with her.
Dogs are not our whole lives, but they make our lives whole - Roger Caras

Sierra-Newfoundland
Cody-Papillon
Oscar, Gina- Cats
Roxy-Ferret
Peaches, Sean, Thunderbolt, Chablis, Lucky, Miracle, Ivy, Riley-Whitetail Deer

lookingfornewf

« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2008, 07:41:39 am »
I have always loved all dogs, pretty much any animal that I see. I don't know why, if it is his size or personality, I have never loved another dog the same way I love Clifford, he just melts my heart, even when he is a bad, bad dog ::)
The thing that surprised me the most is his personality. I know what laid back dogs they are as adults, I didn't expect it from a 10 wk old puppy as soon as I got him. Our Jack Russel growls at him and he just takes the toy out of her mouth and wants to play. Nothing really upsets him, it's all good.
Like somebody else said I knew they loved water, didn't realize they couldn't resist it and had to walk through every puddle they see. Today it's pouring down rain really hard and he doesn't want to come in from outside. Oh well, he needed a bath anyway. ;D

Offline KatysTank

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Mya
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2008, 01:24:35 pm »
Tank drinks and drinks water! He makes huge puddles of water by the water bowl! lol

The first time Tank ever saw water was when I was walking him in the pasture and we have a little stream that runs though it and at first he was scared to death of the water and just jumped over the stream. Well then he accidentally fell in and it was love! He loves water now. He plays in the stream all the time when I take him on walks.

But, Tank is the easiest puppy we have ever owned. I guess once you have had dachshunds, ANY breed is easy! Dachshunds are hard to housebreak but, Tank was housebroken the third day after being at our house. Tank can be a little stubborn though. But we are used to that(dachshunds). lol

Sometimes Tank thinks he is a dachshund! Dachshunds LOVE to bark and Tank has learned how much fun it is too!

Offline newfsie

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2008, 08:32:27 pm »
Perfect solution for owning a drooling newf.......... ..
Own a Border collie X Golden Retriever, who keeps cleaning all the newfs in her household. She used to do it for our dearly boloved Zack(atavar) and now does it to Annabelle. Mind you I have two dogs who love going swimming in our very large garden pond ::)
Newfsie, from Downunder
owned by Annabelle, Tessa, Nugget and six horses

http//:community.webs hots.com/user/newfs4ever

"Never underestimate the warmth of a cold nos

Offline newfsie

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2008, 08:33:58 pm »
Perfect solution for owning a drooling newf.......... ..
Own a Border collie X Golden Retriever, who keeps cleaning all the newfs in her household. She used to do it for our dearly boloved Zack(atavar) and now does it to Annabelle. Mind you I have two dogs who love going swimming in our very large garden pond ::)
Newfsie, from Downunder
owned by Annabelle, Tessa, Nugget and six horses

http//:community.webs hots.com/user/newfs4ever

"Never underestimate the warmth of a cold nos

Offline My Kahlua-Bear! :-]

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2008, 02:05:35 pm »
HAHAHAHA!!! How sweet! (and messy)
Kahlua will be 8 months old in september and my goodness it feels like march was only yesterday when i got her.
I've had my problems w/ her jumping and the endless medical bills, but I'm also on the same road as you where everyday is a surprise and i cant help but smile everytime she looks at me.
Being a new owner of a newf, i level with you 100%
I don't think i can ever have a newf-less house again, their just too special :)

Offline My Kahlua-Bear! :-]

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2008, 02:10:11 pm »
My wife and I have been owned by dogs our entire lives. We've had many breeds, and our Newfies really do top them off.  They snore, loudly, sneak up and lay behind you (we've been on our butts many times!)Our male is so lazy that if he is in front of a door you need to open, we have to physically move him by tugging his legs, it frigging halarious! We love 'em so much we are getting another new Newfie pup July 1st. When we are cooking the dogs litter themselves in the kitchen making us constantly walking over, on and around them, would not have it any other way! We feel truly blessed to share our lives with such amazing, gentle giants! Oh, we have an industrial central vac system.

lol, indeed. two months after we got Lu, our sturdy little sears vac died. I guess it couldn't take the large quanties of tubleweeds.... .i mean dag hair  ;D