Author Topic: Any advice?  (Read 10021 times)

Offline jules

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
Any advice?
« on: May 01, 2005, 09:10:47 am »
I was walking Spotakiss the other day when a guy across the street was asking questions about Spotakiss.Spot akiss just loves everybody I said.He walked across the street and tried to pet Spotakiss.Spot akiss couldnt get away from him fast enough.I thought it was odd.Then last night my husband said he was in the front yard with Spotakiss and another guy was walking by and Spotakiss started to growl.My husband had to hold him back.I know dogs have a good sense of bad people but twice in two days.Spotakiss loves people,I cant understand it.Should I be worried?

Offline kildeskennel

• Paw-meister
  • Beautiful beauty
    • View Profile
    • Kildes Kennel
Re: Any advice?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2005, 09:17:57 am »
I pay close attention to the way my dogs react to other people, Mine do not growl usually, they are wary of strangers and I never let anyone reach out to touch my dogs without a proper introduction from me.  If my dogs dislike a certain idividual there is a reason.  My opinion only!
Happiness comes of the capacity to feel deeply, to enjoy simply, to think freely, to risk life, to be needed.
Storm Jameson

Offline Jaimie

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2005, 09:25:14 am »
I feel the same way!!!!

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2005, 10:00:04 am »
I think that you need to trust your instincts and his. Dog's intuition is so keen that they are able to sense when something isn't right. Bear has done the same thing before but I trust him and know he is just protecting me. He usually loves everyone and isn't a growler or barker, but a few times it has happened so I knew something had to be up. IMO, I'd say watch him, do a proper introduction, and just monitor the times he does act in that way. I bet he did sense something so praise him for being such a good protector of his mommy.
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline nettrek4

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
    • Bonnie Collies
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2005, 10:48:43 am »
   I agree, he probably saw/felt/smelled/ sensed something about that person that he didn't like.  People don't have the sensory tools our dogs have, one of the main reasons we co-opted them in the first place.  I would keep a wary eye on anybody my dog didn't take to.  Marcia P. and the Bonnie Collies
Marcia P. and the Bonnie Collies

Rufiesmom

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2005, 11:05:48 am »
You don't really want your dog to love EVERYBODY!  Some people are not worthy of a dog's love.  If you can make it through Animal Cops on Animal Planet you know there are bad people out there.  Trust your dog!!!

Offline Jaimie

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2005, 03:30:12 pm »
I couldn't have said it any better myself nettrek4, they are definitely a lot of people out there that are not worthy of a dogs affection.  I always trust my dogs instincts, he is always right.