Author Topic: calling Kuvasz people... I need your expert opinion...  (Read 8440 times)

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
calling Kuvasz people... I need your expert opinion...
« on: October 25, 2005, 01:15:22 am »
I have a new pup, and I have no history on her except that the mama dog looked "like an Irish wolfhound". Well, my pup doesn't look anything like an Irish wolfhound at all. At first I thought she looked like a great pyrenees, and she has double dewclaws on the hind legs. But she has very dark pigment to her skin, and a much more pointy nose than a pyr. I have been looking at some pictures of the beautiful Kuvasz, a breed I previously knew little to nothing about.

With your well-trained Kuvasz detecting eyes, have a look at my pup and tell me what you think.
Do you see Kuvasz?
She is 10 1/2 weeks old and about 24 lbs.

I've got all my mutts figured out except this little girl!!!

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
Re: calling Kuvasz people... I need your expert opinion...
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2005, 05:42:25 am »
BUMP  :)
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

Offline kildeskennel

• Paw-meister
  • Beautiful beauty
    • View Profile
    • Kildes Kennel
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2005, 09:26:37 am »
She does resemble donut...There is an excellent breed description ont he Kuvasz discussion thread I believe called the difference between a Pyr and  Kuv.  For me I think it is hard for me to decide "what" breed may be mixed in.  I usually don't speculate as I am not very good at it, a young pyr and a kuz look very much alike, and at the age she is I can see Kuv in her, the difference's between the breeds may prove more helpful to you.  I have attached a few pic's of Kuvasz pups at different ages from our last litter.  Good luck!  Regardless she is very sweet!
Happiness comes of the capacity to feel deeply, to enjoy simply, to think freely, to risk life, to be needed.
Storm Jameson

Offline kildeskennel

• Paw-meister
  • Beautiful beauty
    • View Profile
    • Kildes Kennel
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2005, 09:29:27 am »
a few more
Happiness comes of the capacity to feel deeply, to enjoy simply, to think freely, to risk life, to be needed.
Storm Jameson

GR8DAME

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2005, 11:02:00 am »
I'm sticking my nose in but I see IW in the long narrow bone structure of her face. I hijacked one of your pictures for comparison.
Stella
« Last Edit: October 25, 2005, 11:02:48 am by GR8DAME »

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2005, 11:06:58 am »
Thank you so much for posting pictures, Kildes. And I will look up that thread.
The main reason I want to figure out her breed mix (other than good old fashioned curiosity  ;)) is so that I have an idea what to expect in the way of temperament. I know that LGD's have a very protective nature, and I want to be prepared for that. I guess my best bet would be to socialize my pup really well and hope for the best!!   :)

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2005, 11:08:19 am »
WHOA totally awesome Stella!!! They have the exact same profile!!! Maybe there IS Wolfhound in her!  :D

Offline Good Hope

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2005, 09:28:22 pm »
Hello Doghealer,

Here are some pictures of Sapphire for further reference.  The first two were taken at roughly 9 weeks, and the other two were taken at 3 months (about 13 weeks).

Your little girl might have some Kuvasz blood, but I don't really see it.  However, I wouldn't know for two reasons: 1, my family is new to Kuvaszok, and, 2, one never can tell how a mix will turn out.

Do Irish Wolfhounds have dark pigment?  I think Great Pyrs have some dark pigment on them, like Kuvaszok, but maybe not as much.  I don't know much about dog breeds.

Still, I wouldn't worry too much about breed.  Some animals do not have the typical breed temperament anyway, and in cases like this, where the dog's breeding is unknown, there is no way to really know what breeds (if any) your girl was mixed with.

Sofia

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2005, 10:52:12 pm »
Thank you, Sofia. I really appreciate you posting those pictures.

You're right- I will never know for sure what she is! That's the beauty of adopting a mixed breed! I have three of them now and I wouldn't trade them for anything!