Author Topic: Woohoo! The Sox won and we're getting a puppy!  (Read 6414 times)

Offline declanssexymama

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Um, I got BIG!
    • View Profile
Woohoo! The Sox won and we're getting a puppy!
« on: October 26, 2005, 11:41:14 pm »
So I should probably introduce myself...I'm Lisa, and I live in Chicago, Illinois.  My husband and I have been looking for a Saint puppy and the rescue let us know on Monday that a 6-month old male roughcoat puppy had come in the night before, and his name?  Crede!!  (You Sox fans will realize what a fateful sign this is!)  We're going to meet him soon, and I hope we love him! 

I've already got a giant sized crate for him, or whatever pup or dog we end up getting, but can you newbie and veteran owners give me some tips on what else I'll need?  I've owned several dogs before, but they were seniors and adopted late in life, so this puppy thing is kind of new to me.  Help me out please!

Also, I have a health-related question:  Since we don't know what breeder this dog is from, and will not be getting any papers on him (if we decide to adopt him), is there a way for the vet to check his hips for us?  Are x-rays on a 6-month old pup going to really be able to show anything? 

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions you can give!  And YAY SOX!!

~~Lisa in Chicago
God help me to be the person my dog thinks I am.

Offline jules

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
Re: Woohoo! The Sox won and we're getting a puppy!
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2005, 11:50:14 pm »
Congrats!!!Dont forget to post pics.

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2005, 11:54:58 pm »
Hi Lisa,

My name is Ang, and I have three dogs, not the least of which is my Great Dane Sanity.  First off, congrats on your team winning.  I'm holding out for a Cubbies victory, but well...... ANYWAYS.  First off wait to get the hips X rayed until your pup is two.  Isn't anything that they can do until then.  Also, look out, Giant breed pups are feeling their oats at 6 months (Which is the age most of them end up in rescue).  But as long as you've done your research you should be all set! 

For the most part you need the crate.  STEEL feeding and watering dishes (Plastic can harbor bacteria and give pups puppy acne), a high quality kibble, do NOT feed puppy food, leash and adjustable collar, a chewing toy, a stuffed toy, and a ball (Just exapmles, don't get too many toys otherwise they won't be able to differentiate between what's OK to eat and what's not), a nice bed or blanket, and TONS of socialization.  You can never socialize a giant breed enough. 

If you have any specific questions don't hesitate to ask.  My fiance's family is from Southside Chicago, and his dad still lives there.  Don't ask me what part though.  :P

Ang
BPO's Official Mistress of Mirth

Charter Member of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club

"And you will know us by the trail of skank."

GR8DAME

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2005, 12:10:30 am »
Hi Lisa, my name is Stella, and I have the three monsters listed below. Glad you posted as you are in my neck of the woods, I'm in suburban Chicago. Can't wait to see pictures of your new addition to the family.
Stella

Offline greek4

• Majestic Member
  • Kole with Maia, Baxter, Rocco, and Cody
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2005, 12:16:28 am »
I live in Chicago.
Thanks,

Emily and 1 husband, 1 boy, 1 on the way, and 4 crazy dogs

Offline declanssexymama

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Um, I got BIG!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2005, 12:26:12 am »
I live in Chicago.

What part?  I'm on the northside in Edgewater. 

Offline Jessdryden

• Supreme Drooler
  • My girls
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2005, 01:30:26 am »
Yay!  A puppy!  I think Ang summed up what to get pretty well, so I just wanted to wish you all well and beg for photos when you get your puppy!  Best wishes!  :)

Offline tonyc

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2005, 03:09:46 am »
Hi Lisa,

i'm the one who replied to you via CL. glad you found us! and yah, the wsox won.. and my neighbors shot off a few rounds .. UGH.. *scarry*

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2005, 03:46:30 am »
My brothers in law I'm sure are ecstatic about the Sox win.  Hubby is a Cubs fan, but is happy his home Chicago won out.

Anyway, here to welcome you to the group.  We're moving right outside west chicago next spring.  Can't wait to see some pupppy pics of your new guy.

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2005, 04:24:01 am »
Fingers crossed that he's the right guy for you!  The giants' puppyhood is exciting!  But we're all here to support you and cheer you on!  Keep him as close to you as you can so that he will understand that he now has his own "pack".  Also, it will minimize problems.  I think the Monks of New Skete's dog training book is great....gives explicit instructions on what you need and how to train!

Congrats on your White Soxs team!!!

Offline declanssexymama

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Um, I got BIG!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2005, 09:46:35 pm »
Hi Tony - your neighborhood was at least more exciting than mine.  We went outside and...{{crickets}}....  And sorry to hear about your peeing problems.  (Well, not YOUR peeing problems, but you know...)

I think we're meeting the pup next weekend, so everyone keep your fingers crossed!  I've seen pictures and he's a half-mask (not even a mask, really, just looks like a spot around his eye), and the most beauuuuutiful mahogany color rough splashcoat.  Boy, I really sound like I know what I'm talking about, huh? 

I'm definitely going to check out that training book by the monks.  The pup we're meeting is only six-months old, and already huge, so we'll need all the help we can get!

Thanks everyone for your sentiments!

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2005, 04:47:35 am »
Hi Lisa,

Welcome to BPO! I'm Heather and I have a wonderful 17 month old Saint named Zoey. Congrats on getting a new pup!

You'll need to get going on training right away. I suggest enrolling in a puppy kindergarten class, but of course you can learn lots of training methods here too!  As far as hips go, you should keep an eye on them, and it is a good idea to take preventative measures, but you should really hold off on xraying them until he is 2 years when his hips are totally formed. Preventative measures include: limiting excersize to moderate excersize (try and keep playtime on the grass instead of hard surfaces, and take easy walks) to build muscle around the hips without stressing them too much, prevent him from jumping, feed adult food to prevent slow growth, maintain a light weight (the less weight on the hips the better), and you can also supplement with glucosamine/condroitin/msm as a preventative measure.

As far as what supplies you will need, I posted a shopping list for a soon to be puppy owner a while back. I will search for it and post it here.

Feel free to post any questions. We're always happy to help :)
RIP former BPO

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2005, 05:04:30 am »
Here is a link to the post where I wrote a puppy shopping list. It was meant for someone getting a 2 month old, not a six month old, so not everything applies, but it's a start :)

http://www.bigpawsonly.com/index.php/topic,1564.msg15628.html#msg15628
RIP former BPO