Author Topic: Maggie,We like Best is Her Long Ears Do you all Like the New pic of Her/??  (Read 10928 times)

waffles717

This our maggie she is 4mo,old is from S,D,she 59,pounds she is our Baby,we are going to start training next week,she is very Smart,she still Bite's a Little,How much will this help? also if decide to get another how long should wait? thanks mary??
« Last Edit: May 05, 2005, 05:14:19 am by waffles717 »

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
Re: Maggie
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2005, 09:56:52 pm »
What a doll! Obedience classes will help the biting alot...and since she's smart, I'm sure she'll graduate top of the class!
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline Jaimie

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2005, 05:43:53 pm »
What do you mean by biting a little?  Biting objects or biting you?  It is normal for her to be chewing things at her age, she is teething.  Do you want to get another puppy?

waffles717

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2005, 08:36:16 am »
Hi,I wanted to ask you about biting,she is doing it when she is tired,but we do give her time out,will she grow out! of this,is this common for saints,she gets alone great with kids and other pets and has a good temp, but is only 4mo,old we are going to training next week with her,when she bites she growls and gets mad,with puppy teeth they are sharp,

Offline dufus

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2005, 12:07:20 pm »
Hi there,

Day-z is now 7 months and when she was 3/4 months she was a real biter - I have a great scar on my arm to prove it.  We knew she was teething and kind of tolerated it, with a few time outs for good measure.  While teething she did bite baseboards etc

At around maybe 5 and a half months, the biting stopped and it is very rare now that she needs a timeout.

Her adult teeth are beautiful and nowhere near like the needle teeth that used to bite us.

Teething has a lot to answer for.

Good luck

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2005, 01:20:45 pm »
I think "puppy biting" is common in all breeds, and ohhhh yeah their little teethies are sooo sharp. I think all my dogs have done it more or less as puppies. Now we have an 11 week OEM puppy, he is not too bad, but my 4 year old daughter is playing with him, and her hands and arms look like she has gone through a thorny shrub lol....

They do grow out of it, but you'll also have to help it along the way with training. The obedience you are going to start, I am sure will help. And also, something a breeder told me years and years ago when a dane puppy I had was really really bad with the biting, was to, when they "play bite" take the other hand or the same if you can, and kinda push in a lip between their teeth and your hand that way they bite down on their own lips and for some odd reason that makes it not so much fun anymore, guess they dont like the feel of their own theeth lol....

Not too hard though, just enough to make them dig those little sharp nails into their own flesh, it made a world of difference on that dane puppy, in a week she had almost completely stopped the biting.

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

waffles717

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2005, 07:07:37 pm »
To Deifis,Thank you so much, that was sooooo help full cause i don't know alot or anyone with a saint,i would love for you to email me waffles717@yahoo.com she maggie is so cute we really love her like i said for the most part she is great she is 4mo 58pd,and a comdian,if you want to get rid of a mother in law this works!!She took her Bow of her sliper,i told her she was lucky,she did not eat your sliper, ::) she really like's her but mom does not feel as comtable put that way!! and when maggie goes to give her a kiss well that is sooooooooooooo funny!!!! I really think i would like another one? for maggie what is your thought on that would deifis like a mate,or do have more than one,we have a toy poodle she love's but not a dog her size and i was told if we where to get another on don't wait to long,? her biting is getting better her traing is next week i will have a scare to and need all new shirts,and my husband,i kid not we can go any where with her she is so good,is yours to, her mom is 150 dad 200 she is from S,D, i think 145 good size i go with her i get stoped so much it is not even funny,she does not shed that much either vit,it works my name is marylee,love to hear from you o,k,thanks i could us all the help i get!!! marylee!!!!! :) :)

Offline amajac

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2005, 08:56:25 am »
My boy Austin is 6 months old today and the biting has been less and less frequent recently.  When he tries to gnaw on my arm I take mine out of his mouth and put his own paw in, that has pretty much stopped that.  He is a wonderful baby and SPOILED rotten. 
Cheryl Hain
Amajac

waffles717

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2005, 06:48:30 pm »
Hi,I wanted to ask you about biting,she is doing it when she is tired,but we do give her time out,will she grow out! of this,is this common for saints,she gets alone great with kids and other pets and has a good temp, but is only 4mo,old we are going to training next week with her,when she bites she growls and gets mad,with puppy teeth they are sharp,

waffles717

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2005, 07:45:39 pm »
Drifis,looks like he has short hair how do you like it as far as sheding?I have no problem with maggie we have her on supplments and she get's combed every day,helps her skin,also, peaple say to me you must have so much hair in your houese,but it is cleaner then most no hair,!i sweep vacoom coupe of days not that bad,so let me know,thanks maym!!

waffles717

you where so right she stoped,biting!!! ;)k ;)w,do you think she would do with a pup?not till 8/15 she would have a play mate of her own breed? i am not sure of this 6mo, in age close,to it,grow together, ;)may!

Offline moonlitcroatia

• BPO Guru
  • Betti Boo March 2008
    • View Profile
    • Greta's Page
As with all training methods, they vary, but I had a situation with Lou, our rott/lab, where he would become hyperactive every day when I came home.  This was when he was a teenager.  He would wait until my back was turned and nip the backs of my arms between my elbow and armpit.  I had terrible, black bruises all over and I just didn't know what to do.  I consulted books, etc., but nothing seemed to work...spray bottles, saying no, ignoring him and turning away, folding my arms and looking up at the sky...he kept nipping me.

So, I called an animal behaviorist who charged by the hour.  Now, I can pass her advice forward for you.  Perhaps it will work as well as it did for us.

She said to firmly grasp the puppy's muzzle, as you would grasp the railing while climbing stairs.  Curl your fingers around the snout, so that your thumb and probably your ring or middle finger touch the canines...thum b touching top canine on one side of dog's mouth, ring/middle finger touching top canine on opposite side of mouth.  Then, step one, apply pressure/squeeze gently so that the skin on the pup's upper lip presses lightly into his/her own canines.  While squeezing gently say, "No biting!"  The trainer said there are basically four steps to doing this...we only had to go to step one, which is the least amount of pressure.  Lou stopped grabbing me and leaving those terrible bruises.  It was so easy.  If he had not, then the next step would have been to apply more pressure.  Some pups will snap again after you let go of their muzzle, and that's when you grasp again and apply slightly more pressure and say, "No biting!"  It is mildly unpleasant for the snapper, so the idea is that they will stop doing it and it is supposed to be similar to what their mother would do during "bite inhibition".  Any behaviorists want to help out?  This is just what worked for us.
I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love.  For me they are the role model for being alive.  ~Gilda Radner

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
I was told by my vet it is best to wait 6 months to get a second puppy. So I got Sugar Bear when he was 8 weeks old. I waited 7 months to add another puppy.   I got Dixie when she was three months and Sugar Bear was 9 months. They are the best of pals, most of the time they are not more than 6 feet from each other. 
Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

waffles717

Dear lisa,we are Giving tony his birthday gift mon,i sure hope he like's it dakcta is due any day,she could have a half mask,saint that would be our's how nice would that be,she has had them before,my aunt gave me an idea,i think this will help,his mom will be here,lot's of gift's this will be last one,how nice!! can you be!!let's hope he like's it!!love may!! ??? :-*Delhila! :-*

waffles717

Re: Maggie,is our Sampler We love so much we Gave our Bed!!!!!!
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2005, 06:04:06 am »
thank you so much for your advise,on Biteing! I will use it,she is better,she only get's like that know from over heat!! i wonder if that is Sounds right,so i try to keep her cool, only walk early or late,if she plays outside to long it is no good or if sh orver eats and can't work it off due to the heat than she will get over heated, you can't Win!! At least i know more know for molly I hate to say this but maggie is my Sampler!!!!We love so much so will molly!!love MaryLee111&maggie&molly!!! ::) ;) :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*