Author Topic: Deciding between Newfoundland or Saint Bernard  (Read 43197 times)

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
Re: Deciding between Newfoundland or Saint Bernard
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2005, 03:54:34 pm »
I have been loved by four Newfies and being totally and completely prejudiced toward the breed, I can't imagine having anything else ever!!  We've just picked up the fourth baby and this knowing all the bad things you've heard about drool  (oh, not so bad) shedding (so does my husband  ;)) and the health issues (really, really scary!!!).  The most important thing is to do your homework and find a responible breeder.   The initial cost ususally reflects the level of care that was taken in the breeding, whelping, vet bills etc.  Our last Newf before this baby  was a rescue so "free" and our first expense was monumental to diagnosis idiopathic epilepsy!)  Find the VERY best breeder that you can!  Contact your local Newf Club and ask them.  Most people are really happy to share their opinions about their breeders.  Then check with the Health and Longevity Committee through Newf. Club of America.  They won't recommend a breeder, but they can tell you if the breeder you are considering has any known problems in their line.  The emphasis is on "known".  Things do pop up unexpectedly!

Also, get a bigger car!!!  A full grown Newf (nor, I wouldn't think,  St. Bernard) wouldn't be comfortable  in the back seat with a car seat.  Also consider the claws on the upholstery.  I have a smallish station wagon and with the back seat down, my 140 rescue boy rides comfortably.

I'm sure which ever dog you get you'll adore!  Good luck and post pictures when you pick him/her up!  We're all cheering for you (both Newf and St. lovers, I'm sure!!)

Offline Bear

• Paw-meister
  • The Bear Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2005, 10:30:23 pm »
Beautiful!

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2005, 10:42:26 pm »
Beautiful!
Just wait 'til I'm big enough to wear "shades"!!!   Hopefully I'll be as cool as you!

Offline Newf Lover

• BPO Fanatic
  • Cool dog + Cold beer = Chilled Out
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ryanbrumley.com
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2005, 10:53:26 pm »
That has to be one of the cutest Brown Newf puppies I have ever seen.  There's no ignoring a Newf Pup.
My Newfoundland Lives My Life As Passionately As I Live His.

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2005, 11:10:42 pm »
We didn't get a new car when our Pyr startedto grow up but we DID take the backseat out & our childrens' arms rests off of the bucket seats in back...Oh!...I forgot to mention that's in our Dodge Grand Caravan mini van...lol...It's a hound hauler for sure but if we get a Newfie or a St. we are gonna get my hubby's '79 Ford Bronco out & running again...I always knew we kept her for a reason..lol!

Offline Newf Lover

• BPO Fanatic
  • Cool dog + Cold beer = Chilled Out
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ryanbrumley.com
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2005, 08:38:13 am »
A big vehicle is a must with Newfies, Pyrs or Saints.  Our Suburban is a must when we go on trips with Drake.  Although he is OK in the car, it ends up getting trashed.  A pickup truck is a good idea, these dogs bring nature home with them in their fur.
My Newfoundland Lives My Life As Passionately As I Live His.

Jen

« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2005, 10:20:22 am »
Please consider a GREAT PYR too.  The don't drool as much as a newfie or St. Can't count how many times I've heard people say "LOOK A WHITE NEWFIE!"  They are so great with children too.  A natural gaurdian!  ANd if your really lucky like me..our Pyr doesn't shed!  here check out my "WHITE NEWFIE"

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2005, 11:18:21 am »
WOW!!  How cute is THAT picture!!!  Both babies are SO adorable! :)

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2005, 10:32:08 am »
You definitely need a large vehicle....We have a dodge Grand Caravan mini van & took the back seat out & the armrests off of the middle bucket seats 2 months ago & Samson is just 9 & 1/2 months old now...He is still having a bit of a hdr time getting around in there..He usually rides with his butt on the bucket seat & his feet on the floor...lol..I f the kids are both with us he often plops his big Pyr butt right on one of their laps like they aren't even there...lol... B.t.w., I heard I sad statistic today about the St.'s...3000 are registered with the A.K.C. every year & 1000 of them end up in rescue. :(  :'(

Yaz

« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2005, 07:56:35 pm »
Hi Sara;
We have a 12 week old Saint Bernard named Guinness, along with our children - a three year old, 18 mth old and a three month old. We did a lot of research and made a list of our preferences and found Guinness to be a great match for our family. We chose a short-haird Saint because  it's a lot less maintenance than a longer haired breed. Our previous dog was an Australian Shepherd and his beautiful   coat was high maintenance - when it was wet or muddy out he had to be bathed weekly. Also, I find that the longer haired dogs tend to have more of a doggey odour when they come in from outside  :-\. Because time is very precious with three little ones running underfoot, I had to factor in the grooming maintenance requirements in our decision on a dog and. Here's some pics of Guinness with our kids.

Offline DreamTimeNewfs

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
    • DreamTime Newfoundlands
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2005, 07:33:00 pm »
Hello There,
I have a 2 year old Newfie and a 1 year old Saint Bernard. I adore them both.
There is tremoundous differences between the 2 breeds in my opinion.
After having both I prefer Newfs. Do not get me wrong, I adore my Saint but if I were to get another puppy it would be a Newf.
Saints are much bigger then Newfs and they do not realize how big they are. My Saint weighs 175 at 1 year old and he is as stong as a bull. He is however, extremely loving and wants to be with his family 24/7. He thinks he is a lap dog and he can be found on my husbands lap most of the time.
My Newf is the smartest dog that I have ever met. He was easy to train and understands so many words. He was a very hyper pup but has calmed down a lot and is very sweet. He requires more exercise then my Saint. They are both good with children. Newfs are cleaner then Saints and as far as health problems, my Saint has been to the vet more then my Newf. Big Dogs in general are expensive to maintain.
Remember that they are both are working dogs that need to be challenged.
Good luck with your quest. I hope you find what you are looking for. ;D
Renee Robinson
DreamTime Newfoundlands
Home of the Bears

Offline elmo

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2005, 03:42:56 am »
. I'm hesitant because of the huge price tag attatched to them :-\. I like saint bernards because I've  read that their great with children and have a very patient manner. They're also cheaper.
where i live saints and newfs are about the same price what is the diffrence there?

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2005, 04:53:44 pm »
Good question. I think it might have to do with the fact that until Josh and Westminster, Newfs weren't that common of a dog to see all across the world. Kind of like a supply & demand thing.
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline ksullivan

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2005, 10:46:54 am »
I don't know if you have found a Newf puppy yet, but we got ours from a breeder who raises both St. Barnards, and Newf's. She has alot of adult dogs, and we are very pleased with our puppy who is now 13 months old.
If you look at TLC kennels on the internet that is her site.
ksullivan

Offline lburrell

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2005, 11:18:37 am »
Hi Sara!

Well....if the drool factor concerns you...you can always look into Berners (Bernese Mountain Dogs)!  Just kidding...my own personal bias, I know you have decided to go Newf!

We had to make a similar decision, Newf or Berner.  Hubby fell in love with my aunt's newf and was set on that, but I have always wanted a Berner.  I won (though now hubby is a Berner convert).

We waited over a year for our boy.  The important thing is to find a reputable, responsible breeder you like and trust.  The wait is worth it!  It was so hard to wait, but with these large breeds, bad breeding can have very expensive, and heart breaking, consequences.  The time will go fast and the anticipation makes bringing him/her home even sweeter.

Good Luck!!

Lori