Author Topic: Deciding between Newfoundland or Saint Bernard  (Read 46276 times)

Offline greek4

• Majestic Member
  • Kole with Maia, Baxter, Rocco, and Cody
    • View Profile
Re: Deciding between Newfoundland or Saint Bernard
« Reply #30 on: June 15, 2005, 11:43:18 am »
I vote...one of both. ;D
Thanks,

Emily and 1 husband, 1 boy, 1 on the way, and 4 crazy dogs

Offline riley

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2005, 06:37:56 am »
I have both a saint bernard and a newfoundland.  They are now five and six.  I love them both very much but they are very different.  My saint is a great walker she heels when anyone walks her.  My newfie gets excitied on walks and loves to chase squirls.  My saint is a short hair and allthough dshe does not drool she sheds worse than the long hair newfies.  She loves people that she knows and never leaves them alone always wanting attention.  I call them needy and noisy.  My saint does not like some people and barks especially when they are on the other side of a fence.  I do NOT trust her around children.  Each dog is very different so I am not saying all saint should not be around children nor all newfies should.  Although I have never heard of a mean newfie.  The main differents that I believe does have to do with their breed more than the dog, is their strengh.  Both of my dogs weigh around 150 lbs.  What concerns me most about having MY future children around my saint is she does not understand her strentgh.  She paws at you to keep petting her and it can hurt or when she steps on your feet I have had badly bruised toes.  My newfie falls under the catagory of gental giant.  When he paws you it is much softer.  The only reason why I would have to get rid of my dogs would be because they are to ruff.  To be honest I am very concerned that we will need to find my saint a new home when we have children beacuse she is not aware that people have feet or when she paws or pushes at them with her head to be petted she pushes hard enough to knock a kid over.  There are many times that my saint will sit on your feet and push into you with all of her might to the point were I ,at 150 lbs. myself have to push back to not fall over.  My father had a stroke a few years ago and he has trouble walking and my newfie is much better about not walking into him or pushing on him.  My saint gets so excitited for attention that she runs to him and trips him up when he is trying to get to a nearby chair.  My newfie is always inspecting thinking and giving my saint kisses.  He drolls like crazy and sheeds but I do allow children around him.  I would recommend a saint to some one large enough to handle the dog.  She is very sweet and has never bitten anyone.  She is not describied as aggressive but her problem is that she is afraid and that is why I do not trust her.  She has mood swings were she is happy and then gets angry.  Newfies are great for people with kids and around other animals. (this is my second newfie)  They are however in my case more destructive.  My saint never broke or ate anything but my newfie is very smart and loves water so he has bite through several hoses in hopes of finding water.  He digs not alot.  My old newfie was a girl and she did not dig.  He gets into garbage he loves to investigate everything.  They both bring a different joys to my life and they have also brought me different struggles to overcome.  My last bit of advice- is buying these dogs is the cheapest part of owning them and we easily spend thousands each year on doctor bills.  Big breeds need to be watched for hip problems and other health issues.  DO NOT BUY A CHEAP SAINT or NEWFIE.  Investigate the breeder meet the dogs parents play with the puppy.  Discount dogs can cost  a lot more in the long run on vet bills and a sick dog takes away from the fun you and your family can have with them.  Both of my live inside and have their own room.  Good luck with your decision!

henrysmomma

« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2005, 06:45:20 am »
I have a similar question...I am torn between getting a Cane Corso and a Tibetan Mastiff. I've been robbed and threatened since I moved to vancouver and I need something inately wary of strangers , especially those who might pose a threat.I don not want an attack dog. What do you folks suggest?

PS I would also like to use the dog in my future job.. ;D (dog trainer).

Rose

Offline sarnewfie

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • HarborWinds Newfoundlands and Stain Glass
« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2005, 08:24:28 pm »
Newfs are highly intelligent, thinking dogs, problem solvers, and know when to protect and not to, they are not "needy" depends on if you buy from a breeder who doesnt care and lets them go at six seven weeks or a breeder who is there training those pups from day one, imprinting training, and working them thru ten weeks.
much of a newfs personality is shaped by the owner and the dog in the household it comes home to.
some can be needy if the other dog is domineering, aggresive, or if it is not well adjusted.
much training must go into the young BOISTEROUS newfoundland pup
it is a WORKING DOG
and needs a lot of excersise, preferably walking in sand, or in water, swimming, walking against the current in a river or up hills.
building up muscle is key to healthy joints along with keeping them thin and trim, do not be set on a huge newf, they are not mean to be huge.
if you want that get a mastiff or great dane.
No matter the testing you never know if joint problems will arise,
the odds are out of a litter of six pups two or three wont pass ofa
doesnt mean they wont function normal healthy sound lives, they dont walk on their xrays, it doesnt matter, cross referencing or not, the odds are the same, we have it in humans, it still is a mystery, everyone is trying to find the magic formula, but it is not there, as it is so polygenic in nature, and there is more than a small genetic componant, i have always believed growth rates are what contribute hugely to the factors of bad joints, and lack of correct excersise at crucial ages.
diet plays a huge role, as well as the environment they live, slippery floors?
allowed to run amuck the house?
keeping those feet shaved out?
if not they slide all over and wahh lahh, not good for joints at all.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2005, 08:28:28 pm by sarnewfie »
Photography by Christine
http://harborwinds.fototime.com/PHOTOS FOR ORDERS

HarborWinds Newfoundlands&Search and Rescue
http://www.geocities.com/Petsburgh/Haven/4505

Offline orion5221

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Kiahali
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2005, 08:39:49 pm »
I would go with a Cane Corso.. very obedient, good agility. MY CC will allow new people in only if I tell him it is ok. People that he know he lets in with a bark and a wagging "stub:)"  I can have people come up to my car and unless they move in a threatning way he is fine.  I can tell him to "watch the car" and if I leave, he will "protect" the car only if someone approachs.  Most of all he looks intimadating, and that is the big key.  And with people hw know he is the biggest mush. Out of all my dogs he is a total momma's boy !    He does drool in the summer though, and he is not that fond of new dogs that are over 6 months old, although he will tolerate them.
Hoep this is useful for you!
LA & Gang