Author Topic: Don't make the mistake I did...  (Read 16084 times)

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Don't make the mistake I did...
« on: October 31, 2005, 12:56:58 am »
...and go to a vet who is not familiar with large and/or giant breed dogs!!!
My little Mokey, who is a mixed breed, is 11 weeks old. Her mama was believed to be an Irish Wolfhound mix and it looks like daddy was probably a Pyr or Pyr mix. My pup weighs 25 lbs. Nothing shocking there.

Well, I went to a new vet who was recommended to me by someone in town. I made an appointment for shots and deworming. Well, the woman seemed nice until... she stuck my pup with a rabies vaccine before I could even react. :o I couldn't even speak. 11 weeks... surely that's too young for a rabies shot!!! So when I went to pay, the receptionist starts complaining that we have the birthday of my pup wrong because there is no way the vet would give an 11 week old puppy a rabies shot!! (Well guess what, she just did!!!!) So she went to the back to check with the vet, and then the vet told her to tell me my puppy was older than what I wrote down. Why didn't she tell me to my face I wonder??? ???

So I contacted the woman I got the puppy from, and ask if I had the age wrong. She tells me I had it right, Mokey is 11 weeks old. So then I was worried and I took Mokey to another vet who I used before. He used to have a Kuvasz and is very familiar with "big paws"... as we like to call them. He looked her over and checked out her teeth. "This dog is too young to have a rabies shot. She is definitely under 12 weeks". I almost fell off the seat. He said it would be easy for someone to think she was older because of her size, but a close examination told the true story. He thinks Mokey will be ok and she didn't seem to be having any bad reaction to the shot.

So... I called the vet who gave Mokey the Rabies shot. And I can't even believe it- she tried to argue with me and she was defensive and rude. She said "there's no way the dog could be 25 lbs at 11 weeks old". Honey, my dog Nigel weighed more than that at 11 weeks!!!

Anyhow, I learned a good lesson and poor Mokey had to endure a rabies shot at too young an age. AND it won't even work because she's too young and she has to get ANOTHER one in a few weeks.  >:(

DON'T LET IT HAPPEN TO YOU!!!!
Mokey still can't believe it happened to her!!!

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
Re: Don't make the mistake I did...
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2005, 01:09:07 am »
I am so sorry this happened to you. What an aweful vet!!! Grr people like that shouldn't be allowed to be near animals!

I hope she is doing ok. And wow she is getting big  ;D

OH and Dibby says hello Mokey, I think he has a crush on her. hehehe

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2005, 01:44:06 am »
Poor Moki  :(

That is appaling! I am not sure who licenses vets, but I would complain to them. I might even complain to the better buisness bureau if I couldn't find the licensing people.

I hate stupid vets  >:(
RIP former BPO

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2005, 02:01:09 am »
Yeah, I have been trying to figure out who to complain to, because I even have the rabies certificate that says right on there that her age is 11 weeks at the time the shot was given! It's ridiculous.  >:(

I guess Better Business Bureau would be a good start.

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2005, 02:13:19 am »
I did a little research on my state website and found in Mass, Vetrinarians are regulated by the  "Division of Professional Licensure". If you go to your state's website, they have have a similar department.

The mass.gov website also lists two national vetrinary organizations:

American Association of
Veterinary State Boards
4106 Central
Kansas City, MO 64111
Phone: (816) 931-1504
Fax: (816) 931-1604
E-mail: info@aavsb.org

American Veterinary
Medical Association
1931 North Meacham Road - Suite 100
Schaumburg, IL 60173
Phone: 847-925-8070
Fax: 847-925-1329
E-mail: AVMAINFO@avma.org
RIP former BPO

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2005, 02:25:07 am »
Thank you Heather, you are really on top of it! I am pretty upset by the whole thing and I just can't think straight, so I appreciate it. I am just trying to keep my calm and not do a drive-by throwing eggs at the vet clinic or something!!!

Offline Moni

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2005, 02:35:03 am »
That is too scary!!!

Something similar happened to my daughter when she was younger but at the time I didn't know it was wrong.  :(  I just believed the Dr.  If it had happened later I would've definitely freaked out and done something about it!  She had started her shots at a different Pediatricians out of state and when it was time for some boosters, they gave  her the wrong one.. found out and then added the right one on top of it.  Ended up giving her 4 shots in one day.  I was so upset, but like I said I didn't know better at the time. 

Good luck with Mokey (love her name BTW).  I hope that she is no worse for the wear.
BPO does not have my permission to use my photos.

Offline BabsT

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2005, 03:07:47 am »
Keep an eye on her...if she got her 1st or 2nd series a shots plus her rabies, that is a lot for a pup...I try to wait 6mths for rabies

I know the law in MA is 16wks is the minimal age for puppies to be vaccinated against rabies

Also, if there is a law for minimal age, then put a BIG complaint in against her
Zero 23mth  Central Asian Ovcharka
Anchara 16mth old Caucasian Ovcharka

Offline doglover

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2005, 03:16:33 am »
I don't blame you for being upset. You should definatly contact that heather found.
Jenn

Offline Summer

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2005, 03:26:29 am »
Oh that's terrible!  I hate when people who are suppossed to know better don't.

I had a problem with a vet not too long ago and looked into who to file a complaint with.  Unfortunately there is no National Board that governs Vet's, there are some State one's but they can't do much and if a Vet has a complaint filed against them in one State they can move to another and set up shop.  It's horrible! 

The best defense we have against bad vets is to be really informed ourselves and ask lots of questions.  As my horse vet said "if a Vet get's upset because you are asking questions that's a sign of insecurity"  I don't want that in a vet.

If I remeber correctly my Summer was 20 pounds by 11 weeks and she's not even a Giant Breed dog, so that Vet was plain Stupid!

dohertyswissy

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2005, 03:55:54 am »
OMG - Rebekah, I am sooo sorry.  Poor Mokey!  That is just plain ignorance on the vet's part and she should not be practicing!  To assume a dog is older than you think based on weight is just downright stupid. 

Good info, Jenn!  I'd definitely file a formal complaint.  Who knows what other methods she uses to diagnose and treat animals and how it could negatively impact lives!

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2005, 04:08:14 am »
OMG Rebekah I'm so sorry.  I can't believe that not only did the vet give a rabies Vacc to a puppy but didn't even ASK you first!  That absolutely floors me.  All these things like calling the local paper come to mind....... but filing a complaint is good too :)  I'd ask for where this vet went to school and call the school too.  Rip on them for not teaching their students about large breed dogs (Which bring in more money then the small ones so it's only good business sense).  IDJUTS!
BPO's Official Mistress of Mirth

Charter Member of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club

"And you will know us by the trail of skank."

Offline taijinrr

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • we breed for quality, not quantity.TOP PEDIGREES,
    • View Profile
    • http:www.taijinrhodesianrhodesianridgebacks
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2005, 04:20:50 am »
My little Mokey, who is a mixed breed, is 11 weeks old. Her mama was believed to be an Irish Wolfhound mix and it looks like daddy was probably a Pyr or Pyr mix. My pup weighs 25 lbs. Nothing shocking there.

Well, I went to a new vet who was recommended to me by someone in town. I made an appointment for shots and deworming. Well, the woman seemed nice until... she stuck my pup with a rabies vaccine before I could even react. :o I couldn't even speak. 11 weeks... surely that's too young for a rabies shot!!! So when I went to pay, the receptionist starts complaining that we have the birthday of my pup wrong because there is no way the vet would give an 11 week old puppy a rabies shot!! (Well guess what, she just did!!!!) So she went to the back to check with the vet, and then the vet told her to tell me my puppy was older than what I wrote down. Why didn't she tell me to my face I wonder??? ???

So I contacted the woman I got the puppy from, and ask if I had the age wrong. She tells me I had it right, Mokey is 11 weeks old. So then I was worried and I took Mokey to another vet who I used before. He used to have a Kuvasz and is very familiar with "big paws"... as we like to call them. He looked her over and checked out her teeth. "This dog is too young to have a rabies shot. She is definitely under 12 weeks". I almost fell off the seat. He said it would be easy for someone to think she was older because of her size, but a close examination told the true story. He thinks Mokey will be ok and she didn't seem to be having any bad reaction to the shot.

So... I called the vet who gave Mokey the Rabies shot. And I can't even believe it- she tried to argue with me and she was defensive and rude. She said "there's no way the dog could be 25 lbs at 11 weeks old". Honey, my dog Nigel weighed more than that at 11 weeks!!!

Anyhow, I learned a good lesson and poor Mokey had to endure a rabies shot at too young an age. AND it won't even work because she's too young and she has to get ANOTHER one in a few weeks.  >:(

SOME VETS ARE HORRIBLE!!!
 as an ex vet tech, i got a jon once in a vet office, since i only was a tech at a shelter, i thought id do ok here. a woman came in with a small mix breed, she also brought her 12 year old daughter. the poor little dog was hit by a car. after 300.00 worth of ex rays, he saw no breaks and told the owner he needs to do a blood work up. i saw by the gums, it was bleeding internally, the woman said that was all the money she had, no CC. can she please make payments. he said  NO!
he didnt even to offer euth. for this suffering dog. as the child cried, he said take the dog home. she asked what would happen to it, he said it should be dead by 4 days.  i was applaled!! needless to say, i walked out of his office. he said, where are you going, i need a tech, you cant leave me in a lurch like this. i said, yes i can, and
TAIJIN Rhodesian Ridgebacks

Offline Good Hope

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2005, 04:25:41 am »
Doghealer,

You will need the Vet's full name, as it appears on her license, and her state license #. Also the clinic name and address, as well as the name of the vaccine used, exp. date, dosage given. Write out everything that has happened up to this point, before you contact or go back to the clinic to get the info. Write down everything that happens after you request the info and during the process of obtaining it.

Contacting the AVA is nice, but won't get her in trouble.

You need to contact the state board at:

http://www2.state.tn.us/health/Boards/Veterinary/

After you have all the info, call them. They should email or snail mail you a form to fill out. Just remember to try not to be emotional when writing your statements and do them as soon as the happen to maintain accuracy. Date and time everything you write out.

Unless the vet has had complaints in the past, she probably won't loose her license, but she could be fined, fired from the clinic she works at if not an owner, and at the very least, if a second complaint is every filed, she will be in major trouble...

Also keep an eye on your pup for reactions now and after her next vaccine, any neg. effect in the future could be a result of this vaccine given too early.  So, I agree with BabsT, wait until 6 mo. to give her that rabies shot. Also do discuss this with your vet (the one who had a Kuv), sounds like he/she will give you the best advise for Mokey.

Deena

Offline taijinrr

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • we breed for quality, not quantity.TOP PEDIGREES,
    • View Profile
    • http:www.taijinrhodesianrhodesianridgebacks
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2005, 04:26:01 am »

SOME VETS ARE HORRIBLE!!!
 as an ex vet tech, i got a jon once in a vet office, since i only was a tech at a shelter, i thought id do ok here. a woman came in with a small mix breed, she also brought her 12 year old daughter. the poor little dog was hit by a car. after 300.00 worth of ex rays, he saw no breaks and told the owner he needs to do a blood work up. i saw by the gums, it was bleeding internally,  they weere white and would not bounce back to pink,the woman said that was all the money she had, no CC. can she please make payments. he said  NO!
he didnt even to offer euth. for this suffering dog. as the child cried, he said take the dog home. she asked what would happen to it, he said it should be dead by 4 days.  i was applaled!! needless to say, i walked out of his office. he said, where are you going, i need a tech, you cant leave me in a lurch like this. i said, yes i can, and SAID, YOU NEED COMPASSION !!!!!!!  you Mutha*&^^&**&^%%$$%^^&*
hope all the money he makes, being a "VET"? brings him misery
TAIJIN Rhodesian Ridgebacks