Author Topic: Angus needs a new trick!!!  (Read 5151 times)

Offline AC

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
Angus needs a new trick!!!
« on: October 31, 2005, 09:34:08 am »
Angus finishes Obedience training (level 1) this Saturday and I have to teach him a new trick for the last class and I am drawing a blank as to what EASY trick I can teach him. I would appreciate any suggestions and how to's. Here's things he knows: sit, down, stay, talk, spin, leave it, shake hands, high five, wave goodbye and touch (whatever I am holding).

Offline NoDogNow

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
Re: Angus needs a new trick!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2005, 09:38:27 am »
If he knows shake hands, how about clean feet? 

He needs to stay:  and let you lift and wipe his back feet:  then "shake" one paw while you wipe it, then the other one. 

Sheryl, Dogless and sad

Offline AC

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2005, 10:22:59 am »
Thanks, I have been working on "which hand" but I need stinky treats to get that one reliable! I'll try anything right now. I'm not sure I understand the clean feet trick.

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2005, 10:34:51 am »
Roll over is a good one. It can be very helpful at the vets and during grooming.... With your dog on his side, show him a food treat he really loves. Move the treat back past his head and to the opposite side. Make his head follow the treat and his body will follow. If it doesn't work, you can take try taking the front and back legs from the side closest to you and gently moving them to the opposite side.
RIP former BPO

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2005, 10:12:52 pm »
Oh so many ideas come to mind. 
Grace loves play dead...and learned it pretty fast.   She likes "up" too...I'm trying to get her to jump like a bunny again.
Peek?  I'm working on that one now.  It's relly cute since the girls are so paw expressive. 

Offline Rachel

• BPO Guru
  • Sophie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2005, 11:01:05 pm »
Sophie knows "show me your belly".  Its so funny she will stop dead and hit the floor for a belly rub.  This is also really good for when we're at the vets.
Rachel and Sophie

My new venture...
www.seasidequi lts.etsy.com

My blog for Sophie, crafting, and life in general
www.seasidequi lts.com/blog

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2005, 11:06:37 pm »
roll over is a good one. And with the give the paw trick we taught Harley to give us the Left Paw and Right paw. It impresses everyone we show it to.

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

Offline AC

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2005, 11:23:01 pm »
Thanks everyone for the great suggestions. I'll have to try some of them out tonight!

Offline lil_princess724

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2005, 04:08:34 am »
Bailey knows to give you a kleenex if u sneeze. the way we taught her was i got a kleenex box cover, and put wash clothes in them and i would say achoo and she would bring me the "kleenex". We had to switch since she drools so much.LOL .Another cute one is we have her sit in a corner tell her stick'em up and then she sits on her hind legs. then we say hit the gound and she crawls then we say bang and she rolls over and plays dead. it is a cute little set up. good luck.
Cassandra
        Bailey's mom

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2005, 04:11:32 am »
Bailey knows to give you a kleenex if u sneeze. the way we taught her was i got a kleenex box cover, and put wash clothes in them and i would say achoo and she would bring me the "kleenex". We had to switch since she drools so much.LOL .Another cute one is we have her sit in a corner tell her stick'em up and then she sits on her hind legs. then we say hit the gound and she crawls then we say bang and she rolls over and plays dead. it is a cute little set up. good luck.

oh that's funny!   I'll have to try that.  Grace loves to put towels and kleenex in her mouth and would probably never surrender them.  it's worth a shot though. 

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2005, 04:37:25 am »
Oh I love Bailey's tricks. that is so neat!
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

Offline maggieb

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2005, 06:12:05 pm »
So last night I tried to teach Cooper the "which hand?" trick.. I definitely didn't consider the danger involved in that trick.  His paws are weapons! They are so big and heavy and he grabs with his toes and nails..  It was a cute trick but very painful!!
Maggie

Offline lil_princess724

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2005, 09:37:46 pm »
ANother one with the blanket is peek -a-boo she holds and we say peek-a-boo and she rolls over and covers her self. She is sucha fats learner. We actually need new tricks. Maybe i will try the which hand. Thanks :)
Cassandra
        Bailey's mom

Offline AC

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2005, 07:27:17 am »
Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. I went with "which hand" and Angus caught on in a hurry. It helps that he has the "newfie paws" always swinging anyway. Now I'm going to try some of the other suggestions.