Author Topic: How did you find your breeder?  (Read 23125 times)

Offline newfdog

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
How did you find your breeder?
« on: March 09, 2005, 11:12:31 am »
The one breeder I’ve received a pup from I would probably never recommend as she was a bit crooked. How did everyone find their breeder and what were your experiences?

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
Re: How did you find your breeder?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2005, 02:15:26 pm »
My husband found ours through research and referral. He filled out many packets of paperwork to make sure we were qualified & was chosen to get a puppy from one breeder. Unfortunately that breeder had a problem with the puppy we were supposed to get, so she referred him to our current breeder. It worked out for the best because she is the best breeder (IMO) in the world! We love her and still keep in contact frequently.
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline Terrasage

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
    • Noah's Wife
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2005, 03:49:16 pm »
That's a great question--I found my breeder through a breeder that was recommended to me by our vet.  She had a litter spoken for that has not even been born yet!!  The person she referred me to is on the board of the NCA, so I felt very confident about getting a puppy from her.  We pick him up on Friday!!

Sorry about your bad experience, I hope at least that your puppy is healthy and so forth.
Under the spell of Sage the Border Collie, Terra the Afghan Hound, Christine the Evil Housecat and Smoky the African Timneh Grey Parrot and now Sweet William the Newf, born 01/10/05! Support the NCA Health Challenge by shopping at The Critter Cafe: http://www.cafepress.com/crittercafe

Offline raaleppo

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
    • Raaleppo Saint Bernards
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2005, 03:55:23 pm »
The one breeder I’ve received a pup from I would probably never recommend as she was a bit crooked. How did everyone find their breeder and what were your experiences?
We found ours  From thebnewspaper
We only had a couple of breeders in Western Australia in those days

Offline taijinrr

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • we breed for quality, not quantity.TOP PEDIGREES,
    • View Profile
    • http:www.taijinrhodesianrhodesianridgebacks
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2005, 10:10:28 pm »

we have been friends with a breeder that has our breed for many years. she bought a show pup from my breeding, championed her, bred her , and i got the pick, our nandi , who's photo is on our BPO.
our newest addition is from going to the dog shows and seeing  the great specimens of our breed, we picked a male from a breeder who's dog s were outstanding. he is absolutly beautiful.
our other dogs come from TOP lines, and all are doing just great!  we did see both parents of the others we have, also offspring from them.

see;; rhodesian ridgeback pix on BPO.. always do your home work when buying a dog, ask the breeder any questions, and if they wont answer you, go some where else. also  see the parents and pedigrees .

if the dam or sire is not there, at least get photo,s and pedigrees of the dogs.  i did not meet the sire of our new boy, he lives in calif. i am in florida, but how handsome he is, a champion, and beautiful pedigree. i did see the dam, and also an older brother from this repeat breeding, so i have a great clue on what my dog will look like , when grown.

good luck with your new addition
TAIJIN Rhodesian Ridgebacks

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2005, 10:14:17 pm »
I spent way too much time on line typing in Rott breeders, Rott breeders in Michigan, Michigan Rotts.  It was a grooling experience.

Offline taijinrr

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • we breed for quality, not quantity.TOP PEDIGREES,
    • View Profile
    • http:www.taijinrhodesianrhodesianridgebacks
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2005, 10:40:15 pm »
I spent way too much time on line typing in Rott breeders, Rott breeders in Michigan, Michigan Rotts.  It was a grooling experience.

you might have been better off going out of state or the rotti club of america. a bit of a hardship, but you could get exactly what you were looking for,,  in all th over 20 years, i did buy from other states, even waited 2 years for 1 perticular breeding,,,,,,,,,,,it was well worth it to me

BTW

yous look preety good to me
TAIJIN Rhodesian Ridgebacks

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2005, 10:50:32 pm »

you might have been better off going out of state or the rotti club of america. a bit of a hardship, but you could get exactly what you were looking for,,  in all th over 20 years, i did buy from other states, even waited 2 years for 1 perticular breeding,,,,,,,,,,,it was well worth it to me

BTW

yous look preety good to me
WHY THANK YOU!
Gracey did come from out of state.  Milwaukee even.  The breeder's handler had a website that come up in my Michigan Rott search.  That's how Gracey came along.  She's a great pup!  :) 
We found Lady through an ad in the newspaper.  We hadn't done a lot of research when we got her.  We wanted a puppy before Lady got too old to enjoy a sister so Gracey came along pretty fast. 
Both are so happy and healthy...but we'll definately do more looking next time...or just call Gracey's breeder then. 

Aggghgmom

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2005, 10:53:59 pm »
I really wanted a flat coated retriever and they are kind of hard to come by plus most of them want you to show the dog; get a title and then breed the dog.  I found one and she wanted a deposit as soon as the dog was bred and then I had to write an essay of what I expect in my Flat Coat, unfortunately the dog miscarried the pups and she returned my deposit.

But I finally found Harley in a strange way; I was working in a retail store that sold plates with dog images on them; in came a lady who wanted 2 flat coat ret. plates I asked if she had one and she said she had one in the car and co-owned one in Texas (i am in Rochester, NY) and the one in Texas had puppies but she thought they were all taken; so I called and found out that one puppy was going to a family with 3 children under 6 and the family hadn't owned a dog for many years and thought this pup would be better with our family (plus the co-owner in Rochester would get to see him).  So a few days later Harley was on a plane it was a quick decision because we were expecting a nice day not to hot or cold to transport a puppy by plane; the plane was a few minutes late and the cargo area was going to close for the night without me getting my puppy; I told them they would have to get the police to remove me from the offices if they expected me to leave without my puppy so they stayed the extra 20 minutes and out of the crate popped Harley - YEAH!!!

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2005, 11:48:04 pm »
I got our first two Newfs the easy way.  I just found a breeder who was closest to our home....and that is NOT the way to find a good breeder!!! :-[  As much as I loved them both, they both had pretty serious health issues and each only lived to be three years old!  Their personalities were marvelous:  it was their health that was so awful!

Our third Newf is a rescue and he has epilepsy.  Again, not the best way to get a healthy dog...but I learn slowly!  This last time, I researched breeders on the web, interviewed them by phone, drove to meet the ones I could (when they didn't have puppies...so I could at least have a little self-restraint) and then finally, when I narrowed my choices to three breeders, I called the Newfoundland Club of America and talked to a couple of members of the Health and Longevitiy Committee and got their opinion.  It was SUCH a learning experience!  They gave me all sorts of new questions to ask, knew the history of the various breeders, problems in the various lines and in the end, when we finally got Chester, I know what a healthy Newf is supposed to act like!  His breeder, who I stay in contact with, is truly breeding to improve his line.  I'd get another of his puppies right now!!  (but darling husband would KILL me!)

Offline Newf Lover

• BPO Fanatic
  • Cool dog + Cold beer = Chilled Out
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ryanbrumley.com
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2005, 01:55:28 am »
Research, research, research!  We just did our homework and we also wanted to find a breeder in our state so we could go pick our pup up.   A lot of it seems to be luck and random circumstance.  We, like most people, wanted to get a puppy so we had to find a breeder that had a litter coming and put a down payment quick enough before they were all spoken for.  We lucked out and got a great dog!
« Last Edit: November 01, 2005, 01:56:19 am by Newf Lover »
My Newfoundland Lives My Life As Passionately As I Live His.

Offline galaxybears

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
    • chins n newfs
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2006, 04:02:10 pm »
When we decided we wanted to own a Newf we went to Crufts dog show and had a look around at all the Newfies there. One boy realy took mine and my husbands eye, so we went for a chat with his owner. She said if we seriously wanted a puppy then we needed to go and visit her and her dogs to see if we could cope with them.

So a few short weeks later we drove for almost 5 hours to get to her house. She asked us all kinds of questions about our lives, our garden and our daughters. We asked her all kinds of questions too. And when we were ready to leave, she said if her Newfs hadn't put us off the breed she would be happy to put our names down for a puppy from her next litter..... And along came Molly, 18 months later we had our 2nd Newf, from the same breeder.

If she had had a litter with browns due when we wanted puppy  number 3 (and 4!) we would have had one from her again, but alas her breeding bitches wouldn't be producing any browns. So she gave us the number of a friend of hers who would have some browns... We are more than happy with the pups and that breeder too :)
Shelley
Mum to Molly, Honey and Kitten
RIP my darling Bronte

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2006, 02:46:31 am »
I found my 1st breeder because I saw an add in the local paper (you NEVER see Pyrs around here) & I freaked...I had to alot of work with him to get him "o.k" but he is about Pyrfect now...lol...Be cause of the problems I ahd with Samson we did a ton of research & found a breeder we admired a 2 day trip away...We talked at length with the breeder, sent personal & proffesional references & got the like, loaded up 2 children, my hubby, & myself into our minivan & set out...I have not once been dissapointed!!...A litte more hassel but well worth it!

Offline Senghe

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2006, 10:02:05 am »
It's all been a bit unorthodox with my pedigree dogs. The shar-pei weren't my decision and chose me. But if I'd have been looking for a puppy I'd have gone to their breeder as she has been a good friend for 20 years and I know that she breeds for health and good temperaments in all the breeds she's owned. Now knowing the shar-pei bloodlines in the UK inside out, I know which breeders I would or wouldn't buy a puppy from.

As for my Tibetan Mastiff, again unusual circumstances. They are very rare in this country and usually there is a waiting list. Flynn's breeder has also bred and shown shar-pei for years so I know him too. He also has Tibetan Mastiffs and I've literally dreamed of owning one for nearly 20 years. Flynn was sold and came back 9 days later as his family couldn't cope. At the same time I lost one of my shar-pei unexpectedly. It was pure coincidence, but to be honest his breeder would have been my first choice and I couldn't have got a better bred puppy.

If I was going the usual route that people use when finding a breeder, I'd go to shows and keep my eye on the show results. I'd read all I can and know the health issues and what tests need to be done on the parents. I'd check the history of the bloodlines and see as many relatives as possible both in the flesh and in photos. I'd dearly love another chow chow and when the time comes, I know which breeder or if not possible, bloodlines I want him/her from.

Offline Saint and Mal mom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2006, 03:53:51 pm »
I found Zoey's breeder in the newspaper. I had been looking to get an Akita, but they are rare in the midwest and so we got an Alaskan Malamute, which was a favorite breed of mine too! Then we got Dolly through puppyfind.com ! Great site! I talked to the breeder directly and we settled on a price. Finding Dolly was a lot easier than looking for Zoey, but either way, I'm happy!
Marissa

Zoey- Alaskan Malamute, 4 years
Dolly, CGC- Saint Bernard, 4 years
Foster mom to Clarence- Basset Hound, 5 years

"To be loved by...any animal should fill us with awe-for we have not deserved it."