Author Topic: PETRA LET ME TRIM HER BACK PAWS!!!  (Read 13045 times)

smohr

PETRA LET ME TRIM HER BACK PAWS!!!
« on: November 04, 2005, 01:51:00 pm »
What the heck is going on???  I decided to try again to trim Petra's nails.  I decided to try the back paws while she was lying down.  I was talking to her and petting her, touching her feet.  She was wagging her tail so I trimmed one and she never moved.  The same until I got to the second back paw.  She got up and moved around then laid back down and I repeated talking and petting and she let me trim the second paw.  When I got to the front paws she snarled and got up but didn't bite.  Is this a step forward??  Just another blip??  Am I grasping for straws??  OMGosh!!  I was so excited that she got lots of praise and treats. 

Gypsy Jazmine

Re: PETRA LET ME TRIM HER BACK PAWS!!!
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2005, 02:04:27 pm »
That is good news!!...I think so long as you have hope & you take the proper precautions with Petra there is always the chance that she'll be alright...I am thinking of you guys! :)

Offline Stacey

• Grand Master
  • Tonka
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2005, 02:32:41 pm »
I am always glad to hear when Petra takes a positive step forward.  She is so lucky to have such a patient and loving mommy! :)
I am kind of a big deal!

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2005, 03:17:19 pm »
Oh YEA!!!  A very positive updates!  I do think the more she bonds to you, the more hope you have....and that was a VERY good sign!  Fingers and paws crossed!!! ;D

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2005, 04:08:47 pm »
Yeah Petra! I am so excited! That really is terrific news Smohr. Maybe she is calming down!!
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline VdogLover

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2005, 05:05:42 pm »
 I have a question...sor ry if you have already touched on this before.

When having her nails cut in the past has she always been restrained? Or was she restrained due to you trying before and her getting aggressive?

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2005, 10:17:16 pm »
It warms my heart to know how very much you love Petra, even when she is not easy to love. 
Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

Offline Senghe

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2005, 08:56:41 am »
That's great news and definitely a positive step. I didn't realize she was only 6 months old.

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2005, 03:38:38 pm »
Hey Smohr- quick go buy this book and read it as fast as you can- Bones Would Rain from the Sky by Suzanne Clothier!!! I am reading it right now and I cannot stop thinking about Petra the entire time!!! It has all this information about aggression from a completely different point of view, apparently the "dog" point of view, and it is a new perspective that could really help you I think!!!! I mean, I hope! It's worth a shot anyway!!!! :)

Offline sarnewfie

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • HarborWinds Newfoundlands and Stain Glass
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2005, 04:01:05 pm »
Actually she is still being naughty
when grooming i always start with the back paws
cockers , cockapoo and weiner dogs are all very sassy for nail trims, and many times it is always the front nails that they will try to nail you on.
so still be wary.
it is a step up to at least be able to do the backs ,but....
it is not unusual behavior that i can see.
Photography by Christine
http://harborwinds.fototime.com/PHOTOS FOR ORDERS

HarborWinds Newfoundlands&Search and Rescue
http://www.geocities.com/Petsburgh/Haven/4505

Offline VdogLover

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2005, 08:16:43 pm »
Hey Smohr- quick go buy this book and read it as fast as you can- Bones Would Rain from the Sky by Suzanne Clothier!!! I am reading it right now and I cannot stop thinking about Petra the entire time!!! It has all this information about aggression from a completely different point of view, apparently the "dog" point of view, and it is a new perspective that could really help you I think!!!! I mean, I hope! It's worth a shot anyway!!!! :)

Even better save the $$ and read her work on line~ http://www.flyingdogpress.com/artlibreg.htm

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2005, 10:15:50 pm »

Even better save the $$ and read her work on line~ http://www.flyingdogpress.com/artlibreg.htm
She is who our trainer models his training after...Good stuff!

Offline Titansmom

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2005, 11:09:48 pm »
Have you ever tried to dremal (sp?) them? I know its sounds strange but I groom several dogs who will try and kill me if they see the nail trimmers but I can grind them as long as I need to.

smohr

« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2005, 11:18:41 am »
I have a question...sor ry if you have already touched on this before.

When having her nails cut in the past has she always been restrained? Or was she restrained due to you trying before and her getting aggressive?
[/b]

I have tried first NOT restraining and was bitten, then had to muzzle her.  Sorry not getting back sooner.  Been cleaning out my mom's house and caring for her at same time; she's sick.

Offline lifeisgood76

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2005, 11:28:06 am »
When we take my 2year old neo Daisy to the vet.  I now know not to use restraints.  My vet is a man, and uses a stern voice with her, and uses guts i wouldnt have.  If we use nurses and restrain her she fights for her life.  If he talks to her, uses alot of stern voice correction, its a lot calmer in the room.  Now Daisy has never snapped, or even shown her teeth, she has growled.  But she is submissive in the long run.
Please, i am not sure if I read your post right, but did you praise her and give her treats after you tried her front paws??  That would be rewarding her for bad behavior.  Also, if she listens good when dear hubby is around, is she the same when he is not around.  Remember, you will have two woman in this house now. 
I wish you luck.  If you need some help feel free to email me.  Also, do you know this dogs breeding??  I say this because I have run into 3 dogs this last year with similiar problems.  Come to find out.  Their grandparents were brother and sister.  My fingers are crossed for you.  A dog not comfortable in its own skin, that feels it has to be in defense all the time is a sad dog.  I am so sorry for you :( 
Laurie
Laurie French
Mommy of Neapolitan Mastiff Daisy DOO!!
And Rotti Gunnar!