Author Topic: pupppy heartworm?  (Read 5698 times)

Offline Annabelle

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
pupppy heartworm?
« on: August 16, 2006, 02:03:24 am »
I'm getting mixed info on what age to start our pup on heartgaurd!  she is 10.5 weeks now.  our vet was saying 4 months???   when I take her outside SKEETERS are everywhere in the grass!  she is on advantix...fle as/ticks/mosquitos...ya know.  BUT, I am not sure it's working???  b/c she spins around and bites her tail and rear hips often.
one other question how many months do pups eat pup feed b/f going up to adult food...this isn't a problem...just curious? :)
thanks!!!

Kiahpyr

Re: pupppy heartworm?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2006, 10:59:32 am »
Did the vet give you a reason to wait until 4 months? I know I started Kiah on heartgaurd earlier then that. I would look on the back of the package and it will tell you how old the dog has to be.

Now switching to adult dog food is a tricky question. I know that giant breed dogs like danes, newfies, saints shouldn't be feed puppy food cause they can grow to fast which is bad on their joints. For my pyr I switched at six months. I didn't worry about her growth cause she's hard to keep weight and was in the normal growth rate. I think it also depends on the dog and how they grow.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2006, 11:02:35 am by Tajsa »

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2006, 01:21:38 pm »
I honestly don't remember when I started mine on heartworm meds.  So I can't really help with that.  But for the adult food switch, I think is basically whenever you really feel like it.  For Cinder and Kaila the switch was made when Kaila turned a year old but Shiner has never been on puppy food.  He has been eating the Natural Balance Ultra Premium dry and Merrick wet food with the girls since I got him and before that he was on Purina Lamb and Rice.  I wish now that I had switched Kaila to adult food earlier because it might have avoided her having pano when she was a puppy.
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

Offline Saint and Mal mom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2006, 04:01:57 pm »
For large breed dogs, I was told to wait until 18 months old. For giant breed dogs, they said 2 years. That's what I've been going by. And the heartguard, I started at 3 months old I think. Not sure. Whatever it says on the package of Interceptor is when I started it! I agree that you should ask your vet why he advises you wait so long.
Marissa

Zoey- Alaskan Malamute, 4 years
Dolly, CGC- Saint Bernard, 4 years
Foster mom to Clarence- Basset Hound, 5 years

"To be loved by...any animal should fill us with awe-for we have not deserved it."

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
    • HaveParrotWillTravel.com
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2006, 04:45:51 pm »
HEARTGARD Plus is highly effective in preventing heartworm disease in dogs and puppies as young as 6 weeks old.

http://heartgard.us.merial.com/whyheartgard/why_heartgard.asp

Straight from the manufacturers website.

The mosquitos are really bad here this year also, I would want them on the preventative as soon as possible.

More info:
Ivermectin generally should be avoided in dogs less than 6 weeks of age.
http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/ivermectin-ivomec-heartgard/page1.aspx
« Last Edit: August 16, 2006, 04:48:43 pm by brandon »
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Offline lshelley21

• Big Paw Certified
  • Jazmine 7 months old
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2006, 07:20:41 am »
Be cautious on heartguard...i know great danes anyways are sensitive to that... i was told to give interceptor after 6 months of age... you are putting a pesticde in the dog and they want the immune system to develop first. From what my vet said to me about Jaz
Lauren, Jazmine (great dane)
Jazmine's pets:
Calvin (ferret)
Willy (ferret)
Samantha (ferret)
Baxter (ferret)
Ferrets friends:
Shirly and baldamore (geckos)
Gecko's friend:
Big D (fish)

Oh yeah.. my pet.. Matt (hubby)
Our pets are all above