Author Topic: Vehicle's For BPO pets  (Read 27510 times)

Offline Winslow 151

• Paw-meister
  • Winslow at 6 Months
    • View Profile
Vehicle's For BPO pets
« on: November 07, 2005, 05:20:35 pm »
Hi,

Winslow is growing Rapidily :o The Wife's Saturn Coup won't last long. What are you using to transport your dogs.

I have a Tundra Extended cab with 2 regular and 2 Suicide doors, We need to keep that for towing our camper.

I'd like something that can hold Winslow but also get some decent Gas Milage.

She wants an SUV and I'm having a hard time getting her to think gas milage.  :(

Happy Tails to All
Winslow's Dad

Kiahpyr

Re: Vehicle's For BPO pets
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2005, 05:25:45 pm »
I have a 2003 Honda CRV. It's great for Kiah! She has the whole back to herself. Gas mileage is around 20mpg in town and more then that on the highway.

Offline Rachel

• BPO Guru
  • Sophie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2005, 05:37:11 pm »
I drive a Toyota Matrix.  Its gets great gas milage (~31 mpg) and can definitely hold a BPO or 2 in the back seat.  Also the seats fold down.   I call it my car/SUV/wagon because it doesn't quite fit into any category.  :)
Rachel and Sophie

My new venture...
www.seasidequi lts.etsy.com

My blog for Sophie, crafting, and life in general
www.seasidequi lts.com/blog

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2005, 05:52:26 pm »
We drive a ford explorer. It doesn't get great gas mileage, but we bought it used and it was cheap...

If I could afford a new car, I would buy the Toyota Highlander hybrid. It is an SUV, but it is a hybrid so you are using WAY less gas.
RIP former BPO

Offline Heighway

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Webster at 8 months
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2005, 05:55:18 pm »
We got an older jeep wrangler, took the seats out of the back.  It works great for Webster and Riley.  (newf pup and goldie)
Karen

Offline Leah-n-boy-os

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2005, 06:49:49 pm »
I live in an area that gets a lot of wierd weather, so a car was not an option when we went car-shopping this year. I travel quite a bit with my pups, and also hauling sound equipment for my singing group, so I needed an SUV with a low entry/exit point so that I wouldn't kill myself unloading the dogs or equipment. Gas Milage was also at the top of the list. So after some serious comparison shopping, my husband bought me a Suzuki XL-7.

It's FABULOUS! We got it decked (all the extras) and walked out less than 30k tax/title/license. The dogs love it, I can haul my two big monsters, Zeus my wanna-be, and my three skin kids comfortably. Great gas milage, I think it's like 18 in-town and 24 highway. (don't quote me on that, best look up the specs) It's got 4x4, 'cause we get some pretty hefty snowfalls here.

All the seats fold for extra cargo as needed. It's got an optional third row (which we didn't need) and some other really great options. I've got the V-6 and it's definately ballsy.
Leah and the Boy-os
Apollo (Akita/St. Bernard)
Zeus (Heinz 57)
Onyx (Newfoundland)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Being owned by Big Paws just indicates how big your heart is.

located - Gig Harbor, WA

Nicole

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2005, 06:50:45 pm »
Great thread. I actually was going to post this same kinda question. My thing, however, is leather or fabric? We're getting a new vehicle...we decided on the Toyota 4-Runner...and we're having a debate over the interior. I think that leather will be much easier to clean drool, hair, etc. off of, and last longer. But, Mark thinks that Cabeza's claws will tear it up. I still think that leather will withstand claws better than fabric.

I posed this question on chat once, and everyone agreed with me. (Leather) Anyone else have experience with this?

BTW, the 4-Runner gets pretty decent MPG. (For an SUV) We had to have 4Wheel drive to tow our boat and various other things, it had to fit Cabeza, (and the Newf pup to come next fall)  and it couldn't be too grossly huge. So, the 4-Runner fit the bill pretty well.

Offline Leah-n-boy-os

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2005, 07:03:44 pm »
I highly recommend the leather. I've had both, and my leather is much easier to wipe up the drool and food slimies than fabric. I went to the farm store and bought the padding that they line horse stalls with, and custom made mats for the cargo area. They soak up any mud or water that the puppers track in, I can also haul them out for cleaning, and just hose them down.
Leah and the Boy-os
Apollo (Akita/St. Bernard)
Zeus (Heinz 57)
Onyx (Newfoundland)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Being owned by Big Paws just indicates how big your heart is.

located - Gig Harbor, WA

Offline BabsT

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2005, 07:04:15 pm »
I have a Honda Pilot and I LOVE IT..Zero and Misha both fit in it with room to spare, they can both stand, move and turn and that is not folding seats down

Zero 23mth  Central Asian Ovcharka
Anchara 16mth old Caucasian Ovcharka

Offline NoDogNow

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2005, 07:09:46 pm »
You mean what kind of seats are best under the HEAVY DUTY SEAT COVERS!

I recommend the leather, but suggest aquiring 2 sets of extra heavy duty sail canvas seat covers that you can Scotchgard to the moon and back no matter what you end up getting.

Sheryl, Dogless and sad

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2005, 07:10:26 pm »
I have a Mercury Mountaineer which'll probably fit 3 Danes.  (Fits Nee and Tench pretty well with room to spare).  I'd LOVE to get a Ford Freestyle or the new CHevy HHR which looks like an awesome dog car and gets good mileage for a SUV.
BPO's Official Mistress of Mirth

Charter Member of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club

"And you will know us by the trail of skank."

Nicole

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2005, 07:27:36 pm »
That's such a great picture of Nee and Tenchi, Ang!

Hmm....seat covers, eh? Mark HATES them....maybe we can get some just for Cabeza's area. Or maybe do like Leah suggested and get the rubber mats. That sounds like a good idea.

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2005, 07:33:01 pm »
Leather works great!  Be careful with the SUV's and, at least, Newfs.  Their knees are so delicate so they need to be assisted down as well as being helped up.  Cowboy has learned to put his front legs in the back of my station wagon and I support his back legs as he climbs in.  When he comes out, he knows to wait for me to support his chest to take some of the weight off his landing.  He came to me, at 18 months, limping, from his previous owner allowing him to jump and the vet said a tiny bone in both his front knees had broken off.  Cosequin and support of stablilized that problem.  Chester is a whole other story....WILD MAN!!! ;D ;D

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2005, 07:39:54 pm »
Their knees are so delicate so they need to be assisted down as well as being helped up.  Cowboy has learned to put his front legs in the back of my station wagon and I support his back legs as he climbs in. 

Zoey does the same thing if we can't do the ramp for whatever reason.... But for those who need it, they also make a car ramp called the 'pet step' it is heavy and has to be stored in the back seat which is akward, but it is still a great thing to have around if you have a tall car and a dog with achy bones.
RIP former BPO

Offline hugo~monster

• Big Paw Certified
  • Giants- companion-protector-inspiration-friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2005, 09:50:28 pm »
well i have a mitsubishi outlander.  it is in between a car and an SUV.  the saleman called it a "civilized SUV".  actually it is all-wheel-drive.  it has automatic transmission but has a "sport-matic" transmission in which you can shift it over and actually change gears like a stick shift, good for off road or hazard driving conditions like snow.  gets about 24/29 mpg and is very easy to get in and out of and load your cargo easily.  you dont need a step ladder to get in and out.  very good when you are short like me.  hugo rides in the back seat (which is a 60/40 spilt) with plenty of room to spare.  actually the back seat would comfortably hold 2 giants and with the seat folded down would comfortably fit 4 giants, although i have never hauled that many at once.  it is a peppy little vehicle, but no speed demon.  i have been very happy with it.  had it for 2 years.  it is very affordable $17k-25000 (depending on options).  it has been around for a couple of years so you might be able to find a good used one. 
~SHELLIE & HUGO~