Author Topic: Search & Rescue  (Read 5550 times)

Offline 2dobies

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
Search & Rescue
« on: November 10, 2005, 07:46:21 pm »
Are any of you guys involved in, or ever have been involved in, Search & Rescue?  I belong to a Vol. Fire Dept here locally, and we've had to go out many times at any time of the day or night, all kinds of terrain, looking for someone's lost child.  Thankfully, the missing child ends up being asleep under the bed, or playing video games at the neighbor's house without anyone knowing where he/she is.  But I got the name and phone number of a guy here locally who is going to start a SAR team, and they are looking for "volunteers. spotters, and working dogs". WOW. That's right up my alley! :)  I am going to try to get in touch with this guy over the weekend and find out more details.  I don't know if my dog Dar will qualify or not--she will be 3 in December, so they may consider her to be too young still, maybe not experienced enough (she's only played hide & seek w/ family members) or she may be....I hate to say this...too fat!  Who knows, I may not meet the qualifications, either.  Maybe I'm too old, not experienced enough, or...yes, me too... too fat.  Anyway, I'm gonna give it a shot.  I'd be willing to be a spotter for the dogs that are on the team, or even be a 'victim' who just hangs out behind a tree till the dog finds me. Just wondered if anyone else has ever been through this training with their pooch?
DOGS LAUGH, BUT THEY LAUGH WITH THEIR TAILS.

MommyOfSchnauzers

Re: Search & Rescue
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2005, 08:28:22 pm »
Nope.  I've never participated in anything like that.  But the breeder I purchased Dazy from has search and rescue dogs.  Sounds awesome.

henrysmomma

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2005, 11:20:25 pm »
Nope, but it's something i want to get into when I get my corso.

Rose

Offline sarnewfie

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • HarborWinds Newfoundlands and Stain Glass
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2005, 10:32:26 pm »
Eyup
for six years i drove five hours one way to train twice a week
been there done that.
the politics in the group were horrible. so much so searches in my backyard, the officers of the group decided it was not anyone but the officers who got to go.
pretty sad.
anyway, all in all it was a fabulous experience, but so much time, it is a second full time job.
Photography by Christine
http://harborwinds.fototime.com/PHOTOS FOR ORDERS

HarborWinds Newfoundlands&Search and Rescue
http://www.geocities.com/Petsburgh/Haven/4505

Offline 2dobies

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2005, 10:53:54 pm »
Yeah, I was kind of afraid it might be that way. This little community I live in is so darn political, anyway, and if you're not "in with the in crowd" they dont see you or hear you.  I think I'll still check into it---I can always drop out if it gets too stupid, y'know?  I just have this thing about trying to expose my dog to as many experiences as I can, because I may find something that she REALLY excells in.  Thanks for the info!
DOGS LAUGH, BUT THEY LAUGH WITH THEIR TAILS.

Offline Kelly89084

• Big Paw Certified
  • My Protector!
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2006, 05:28:19 pm »
I would love to join a SAR team (or even go it alone as needed) when I get my dog.  I can't think of anything better to do with our time than to save lives.  I don't know where to get started though.  I may have to settle for obedience.  Not so bad I guess.  :)
"If a dog jumps in your lap, it is because he is fond of you; but if a cat does the same thing, it is because your lap is warmer." - Alfred North Whitehead