Author Topic: Peanut Butter  (Read 7631 times)

Offline MustLove Dogs

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
Peanut Butter
« on: November 12, 2005, 10:41:34 pm »
I have a question... is peanut butter OK to give to an 8 week old lab? ???

We gave some to Cooper, and he's got gas now... but we don't know if it was that or something else he ate.
"The more boys I meet the more I like dogs"

"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion"

I'm blonde... whats your exc

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
Re: Peanut Butter
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2005, 10:45:47 pm »
Peanut butter is great for dogs! Bear eats it regularly and loves it!!
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline Jessdryden

• Supreme Drooler
  • My girls
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2005, 10:46:14 pm »
Our first newfie loved peanut butter!  I've never heard of a reason why they can't have it???  Maybe it was something else?  I hope your cute puppy feels better...

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2005, 10:50:15 pm »
Peanut butter is fine, but just keep in mind like any other treat to do it in moderation (peanut butter is high in calories and also high in protein). Theoretically, you should also get an 'all natural' peanut butter instead of the less healthy us humans eat, but honestly, dogs like junk food the way we do - I bought zoey all natural peanut butter once and she HATED it  :D
RIP former BPO

Offline Stacey

• Grand Master
  • Tonka
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2005, 11:34:47 pm »
Tonka LOVES peanut butter!  And it cracks me up to watch him try to get it off the roof of his mouth for 15 minutes! :D
I am kind of a big deal!

Offline tonyc

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2005, 11:49:33 pm »
i hv yet to meet a dog that doesn't love PB.. it's what i use when feeding horsepill medicines...

Offline MustLove Dogs

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2005, 11:46:27 am »
Thanks for all the info!!

Does anyone know how many times I should feed him each day??

"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion"

Offline Rachel

• BPO Guru
  • Sophie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2005, 01:42:18 pm »
When we gave Sophie Jiffy reduced fat peanut butter (the same that we eat) it gave her gas and the runs.  When we gave her an all-natural one we never had a problem again.
Rachel and Sophie

My new venture...
www.seasidequi lts.etsy.com

My blog for Sophie, crafting, and life in general
www.seasidequi lts.com/blog

Offline greek4

• Majestic Member
  • Kole with Maia, Baxter, Rocco, and Cody
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2005, 01:57:09 pm »
My new treat is real raw bone, like soup bones but not cut up, cleaned out by the dogs, run through the dishwasher, filled with yogurt and frozen.  I give them to the dogs when they start to get wild at night.  They love them and yogurt is great for them too.
Thanks,

Emily and 1 husband, 1 boy, 1 on the way, and 4 crazy dogs

Offline Tulsas' Dad

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2005, 02:13:11 pm »
Tulsa LOVES Peanut Butter!
I made the mistake of leaving an empty jar on a counter as a reminder to get more.
I hadn't cleaned it or scraped it down real good, so there was about a quarter of a cup in the jar, and the lid was on, but not tight.
Went to the market, and when I got home, there was the PB lid, with teeth marks, by the door!
Found Tulsa under my desk, holding the jar with her front paws, her nose buried DEEP into the jar, her tongue lapping the inside like a PB junkie.
She looked up at me with that "Busted" look on her face! PB on her eyebrows!
I started laughing. The jar was spotless to within a half inch of the bottom.
Never had any digestive problems with her, she could eat a train and just BURP real good.
PB is a Treat anytime.
p.s.
Tulsa likes Skippy, Super Chunky!
Me too.
The scientific name for an animal that doesn't either run from or fight its enemies, is Lunch.--Michael Friedman

Offline Rachel

• BPO Guru
  • Sophie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2005, 03:02:34 pm »
I gave Sophie an empty jar once too.  She was soooo happy!  I took pictures... I'll have to find them  :)
Rachel and Sophie

My new venture...
www.seasidequi lts.etsy.com

My blog for Sophie, crafting, and life in general
www.seasidequi lts.com/blog

Kiahpyr

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2005, 03:30:48 pm »
This reminds me of something I used to do for Lexi.  You take a cup of peanut, a 32oz. container of yogurt, nuke until melted and mix together.  Then pour into ice cube trays and freeze.  It would keep her busy FOREVER.  I had forgetten about that completely ... I might have to make some for the boy's "wild nights".   

That's a great idea!!! I'll have to try that with Kiah.

Offline MustLove Dogs

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2005, 03:54:23 pm »
Yumm!!! Sounds good!!!  :D

Offline hugo~monster

• Big Paw Certified
  • Giants- companion-protector-inspiration-friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2005, 08:53:23 pm »
My new treat is real raw bone, like soup bones but not cut up, cleaned out by the dogs, run through the dishwasher, filled with yogurt and frozen.  I give them to the dogs when they start to get wild at night.  They love them and yogurt is great for them too.

greek4, excellent idea!!!!
~SHELLIE & HUGO~

Offline hugo~monster

• Big Paw Certified
  • Giants- companion-protector-inspiration-friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2005, 08:57:54 pm »
my dogs love pnut butter and it is great to hide a pill in.  also its great if you are looking for a little entertainment.  just get a spoonfull and scrape it off on your pooches upper teeth.  they love it and its soooo funny to watch them "lick, lick, lick".  a dollop wiped on the top of the nose is cute too.  i swear their tongues grow twice as long when it comes to licking off pnut butter. 

the only problem i see with p nut butter is in toy or small breed dogs who are prone to pancreatitis such as mini schnauzers.  the high fat content in pnut butter can trigger this.  opt for the low fat type if you have small dogs.   
~SHELLIE & HUGO~