Author Topic: Dar's Agility Practice  (Read 4978 times)

Offline 2dobies

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
Dar's Agility Practice
« on: November 13, 2005, 08:11:04 am »
I took Darmok to a beinner's Agility class a year ago.  She learned all the obstacles, and had a good time.  She will never be one of those Border Collies, though, cos she can do it, but she doesn't LOVE it! :D  I made a few obstacles at home to keep her interest up, and it's good exercise for her too.  Her "playground" is the envy of all the neighborhood kids! ;D
DOGS LAUGH, BUT THEY LAUGH WITH THEIR TAILS.

Offline 2dobies

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
Re: Dar's Agility Practice
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2005, 09:38:36 am »
My instructor in Agility wouldn't let any dog do any jumping till it was at least a year old.  She said it puts too much strain on their shoulder and hip joints if they are under a year old.  Dar really did like to go, and she came home good and tired!  There were 7 Dalmations, one other Doberman, 3 big mixed dogs, and a rat terrier in our class.  Dar's favorite obstacle was the A-frame.  She also liked the tunnels, but would sometimes go half-way through, then when I was at the other end waiting for her to come out, she would turn around in the middle of it, and run back out the other end!  She got the hang of it, though, and now just does it at home to "show off" ;D ;D
DOGS LAUGH, BUT THEY LAUGH WITH THEIR TAILS.

Kiahpyr

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2005, 09:44:09 am »
Love the pictures! She looks so graceful.

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2005, 01:29:17 pm »
I'm going to order one of those agility starter kits next week for Rocko. I found one on omahavaccines. com for $31.00 - poles, ramp, resting square and tube! Sounds like a deal, eh?

We already have this big long tube Johann got from some industrial yard. Rocko learned how to go through that in less than an hour (I taught him myself!). Now, we can arrange it in any kind of twisty shape and he still bolts right through!

I can't wait to teach him everything else.
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2005, 05:37:45 pm »
Neat!  I need to build something like that for my girls.