Author Topic: Ugh. What are we doing wrong?  (Read 10166 times)

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
Re: Ugh. What are we doing wrong?
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2005, 06:24:03 pm »
What do you think about letting him drink as much water as he wants before, say, 3:00pm and then nothing after until the next morning?  If he seems absolutlely miserable, maybe a couple of ice cubes...but basically nothing.  Maybe then he could get completely hydrated early in the day and then continue the process of taking him out every hour or so until he gets completely trained.  Just a thought...

Offline declanssexymama

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Um, I got BIG!
    • View Profile
One step forward, two steps back...
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2005, 10:42:27 pm »
Well, here goes another Crede pee story...

Today, my husband was taking Crede out every 3-4 hours.  Everything was going well, he was doing everything outside, not inside...  So he decided to take a shower around 5pm (you know, with a 10-month old son, you have to do it when you can).  As soon as he got out of the shower and walked into the bedroom, he slipped in a big puddle of pee.  A BIG puddle.  And it wasn't there before he went into the shower.  Crede had just been out 1 hour and 15 minutes before this. He was already in the living room, curled up in a corner (he knew he'd done wrong).  We have only been giving him two cups of water at a time.  Usually when he comes in from a walk, he'll get two cups. 

So, it's obvious that he CAN hold it.  But sometimes he WON'T.

Another really strange thing...his entire stomach was wet with pee, so he either peed and then lied down in it, or lied down and peed on himself.  THAT IS SO WEIRD.

No worries, we're going to do whatever it takes to make this work, but we are frustrated.  We've been concentrating so much on giving him only positive reinforcement, and simply ignoring any bad behaviour.  And to be completely honest, this peeing thing is the only thing he does wrong.  (Knock on wood.)  He doesn't chew, dig, bark, whine...nothin g.  But we need to find a remedy for this soon, because 1)  it's not safe for the baby to be on the floors with so much dog urine having been there and 2)  we don't own, we rent, and what if we ruin the hardwood floors?

With the baby, my husband simply cannot take Crede out every hour.  It's just not feasible. 

{{sigh}}...just frustrated and venting...and looking for some advice...
« Last Edit: November 14, 2005, 10:43:20 pm by declanssexymama »
God help me to be the person my dog thinks I am.

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2005, 10:46:28 pm »
I'm SO sorry!  I know you guys are doing everything you can....and I'm sure Crede is trying to understand how to be good!  It's so frustrating... .but he will get there in the end!  I just know it!! :-\

Offline waffles717

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
Re: He's A Baby Too that is what he is telling u!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2005, 08:28:29 am »
:PSound's nut's,but u see this Breed Dog is not Full, Grown Till Almost 3 years so for that at 5mo he a baby he wants attenntion, He does not understand u are taking a shower,I would By mine in the Bathroom,or put he in the Crate,Also Do u Speak to him, and Explain,as nuts as it sounds it  :)Help's!!Read your Books on saints to they are thery Close Dogs,so Who is he close to u or your wife? they to Reasure'es! like Good! and they really need huges!! kisses!! this is not just any Breed!!!!!!!!! :-*Please understand this is a very  :DBreed if you have any  ???please email me i will help u anytime we have two Great one's molly&Maggie :Dwaffles717@yahoo.com :-* :-* :-* :-*
This Beethoven, he went to vet yesterday, he is 36 pound and only 9 weeks old!

Offline tonyc

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2005, 11:00:10 am »
Lisa,
sucks to hear this... i was going thru the same routine just about a month ago and Nikki is already 9 months old. she'd pee in the most random positions, places, etc. and finally, once in the crate.

we, of course, live in chicago and also rent so the hardwood situation is close to my heart. that said, Crede is a rescue dog & you just don't "know" his previous behavior/environment. i think you can only be ready w/ plenty of paper towels/nature's miracle & lots of patience. afterall, he's still new-to-you and some dogs take much longer to adjust to a new environment.

not too sure what to do about the baby in pee situation tho...

g'luck and i look forward to meeting you guys next.. SPRING?

Offline BabsT

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2005, 11:34:27 am »
Do you know the dogs past?  I mean if the dog is used to dirting his area, it may not bother him...also when I let my dogs out my female seems to fully eliminate but my male he does little pees everwhere and at one point during the day he will fully relieve himself...

It seems like you have to fully start as if he was a puppy and follow a strict routine

He is undergoing a lot of stress and been all over the place in such a short period of time so I am sure he is very confused and not sue what is expected of him

You are going to have to water him at certain times and make sure he fully eliminates before coming back in....and trust me a dog of his size has a lot of pee up there so when he is peeing for a minute that means that he is eliminating  vs. marking terriotry
Zero 23mth  Central Asian Ovcharka
Anchara 16mth old Caucasian Ovcharka

Offline tonyc

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2005, 12:45:47 pm »
ooo.. another thought: 4 cups of water for a st. bernard is apparently NOTHING. doing a quick search, you'll see Bernie pups can drink quarts and quarts at a time... which is why i resorted to a 14 qt BUCKET for both dogs...

Offline declanssexymama

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Um, I got BIG!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2005, 12:54:47 pm »
ooo.. another thought: 4 cups of water for a st. bernard is apparently NOTHING. doing a quick search, you'll see Bernie pups can drink quarts and quarts at a time... which is why i resorted to a 14 qt BUCKET for both dogs...

Holy crap, if we give him more than 4 cups at a time he's like a spigot.  I think we'll work our way up to the "14 quart bucket".... ;D

Yeah, Spring.....was it snowing down by you this morning?  It was up here when I took Crede out at 6am.....

Offline declanssexymama

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Um, I got BIG!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2005, 01:00:23 pm »
You are going to have to water him at certain times and make sure he fully eliminates before coming back in....and trust me a dog of his size has a lot of pee up there so when he is peeing for a minute that means that he is eliminating  vs. marking terriotry

Ya know, he is SO submissive that he doesn't even mark when he's outside!  And, he pees like a GIIIIRL!!!!! 

Poooooor Crede....... ;)

Kiahpyr

« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2005, 01:15:16 pm »
Like the new avatar! Show's his markings very well.

Offline declanssexymama

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Um, I got BIG!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2005, 01:41:34 pm »
Like the new avatar! Show's his markings very well.

Awww, and I looooove yours too!  We didn't get enough snow to stick on the ground this morning, but the minute we do, I'm taking tons of pictures!   Awwwww, she is sooooo cute!

Offline NoDogNow

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2005, 03:11:24 pm »
You know, years ago, my friend Julie's baby Golden used to do the separation peeing thing when he would think he was alone--Becky even bought clear plastic shower curtains so Bo could see her when she was in the shower.  I guess when you don't have words, peeing on things is about all you can do when you're upset! 

When she got married when Bo was about 8 months old, her husband (who had given Bo to her as an engagement gift, so it was really all his fault anyway) started putting diapers on the boy so they could have some newlywed privacy without drowning in the pee puddle that would be outside the door when they opened the door.   I don't know that it helped him get over his separation issue, but it sure saved the floors!

Sheryl, Dogless and sad

Offline vizslamaniac

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
Re: One step forward, two steps back...
« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2005, 07:56:04 am »
Well, here goes another Crede pee story...

Today, my husband was taking Crede out every 3-4 hours.  Everything was going well, he was doing everything outside, not inside...  So he decided to take a shower around 5pm (you know, with a 10-month old son, you have to do it when you can).  As soon as he got out of the shower and walked into the bedroom, he slipped in a big puddle of pee.  A BIG puddle.  And it wasn't there before he went into the shower.  Crede had just been out 1 hour and 15 minutes before this.
Maybe he got a little separation anxiety being alone while your hubby was showering? The sound of water running?  It's true that big dogs are babies longer. My female, Zoey took a long time to train. Have patience, you sound like you are doing all the right things.

Offline waffles717

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2005, 09:56:45 am »
I't is very Simple just put him in his Crate while in the shower!He is a Puppy please Treat him like one!!! u will not have any more problem's.! so when u are out put him in the crate ! when u come back,let him out, it is so easy! when u are in the shower the same!thing!love molly&Maggie!We got to go to petco so hope you can get along till we get back!!! But try it!!!!!!!
This Beethoven, he went to vet yesterday, he is 36 pound and only 9 weeks old!