Author Topic: Chicken Soup??  (Read 2873 times)

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
Chicken Soup??
« on: November 14, 2005, 12:01:28 pm »
I just talked to my BFF from high school. They just adopted a dog from their local humane society and he has instantly developed an upper respiratory infection. The vet gave him a shot of amoxicillan and some amox. pills to take and told her to give him "all the chicken soup he wants".

I have NEVER heard this from a vet before - and I have nursed countless dogs and cats through upper respiratory yucks. Has anyone else had a vet tell them this? I told her that sounded like WAAAAY too much sodium for a dog - especially a sick dog. She said the vet told her to dilute it with more water than usual, and don't get the beef soup 'cause that's definitely too much salt, but I still think this advice is weird?

Am I behind the times or is the vet?
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
Re: Chicken Soup??
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2005, 12:42:37 pm »
Homemade chicken broth?  with no salt???  I've never heard of that either, but I guess it could make some sense when you think of the prescribed vet foods:  plain chicken and rice.  If you are behind the times, so am I!

Offline Newf Lover

• BPO Fanatic
  • Cool dog + Cold beer = Chilled Out
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ryanbrumley.com
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2005, 01:26:14 pm »
This just reminds me of that Far Side cartoon where One chicken serves chicken soup to another chicken that's sick in bed and says, "Quit complaining and eat it. Number one-Chicken Soup is good for the flu and number two, it's nobody we know".   Chicken soup is used a lot for people who are sick because it is easy to digest and it tastes really good!  That's probably why the vet said that, it is something your pup will easily eat.  There's low sodium chicken broth if you're worried about that.  Maybe they were just joking?
My Newfoundland Lives My Life As Passionately As I Live His.

Offline NoDogNow

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2005, 02:14:57 pm »
We've always given our dogs chicken soup.  It's one of the first things gran taught me to make, when I was about 7.

It's very basic:  you just boil the bones out of some chicken legs/thighs in about 6 cups of water, without salt. Leave it on a low boil on the stove top for about two hours, then throw in a couple big carrots and a couple of celery stalks--you aren't going to eat these, so they don't have to be chopped.  In about another hour, pick the bones and the carrots and celery out of the broth, skim the fat off the top, then throw in about a half a cup of brown rice for another 45 mintues to an hour, or add egg noodles and let them boil until they're the consistency you want.  If you want salt, you salt your own bowl to taste.  It's very bland and basic, and just what your stomach, and your dog's, is in need of when you have the crud.

I make this crock pot style too, when I've had to go to work when I was sick--just throw the water, the chicken, the carrots and the celery all in the pot in the morning--it's ready to fish out the bones and carrots and skim off when you get home. 

« Last Edit: November 14, 2005, 02:15:45 pm by NoDogNow »
Sheryl, Dogless and sad

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2005, 04:21:40 pm »
Thanks! I'm going to email that info. to her right now!
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain