Author Topic: Bad trainer??  (Read 20066 times)

Offline AimeeSedlock

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
Bad trainer??
« on: November 15, 2005, 12:21:43 am »

I just took my 6 month old Aussie mix Kobi to an obedience class.the first thing they wanted to do was have him be held down, Kobi has always had a problem being restrained. so anyway, I was having a problem getting him down. The trainer came over got VERY rough with him and Kobi bit him. So the trainer hung him, he had a choke chain on so it was even worse, the poor pup shit himself and his lips turned blue, he almost passed out. I was SICK!!!
He did behave after, but I think there has to be a better way to train. the bad news is I live in a rural area and this guy is the ONLY trainer around.
Please any thoughts on this, I really wanted some training for him, he's a really good dog in every other way and loves people.

Thanks,  Aimee

Offline Moni

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
Re: Bad trainer??
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2005, 12:29:55 am »
OMG Aimee, that is horrible!  Where are you located?  My aussie, Mojo, was a very dominant puppy and hated being turned over.  Clicker training did wonders with him for basics and learning new things.  Here's a good place to start looking for positive trainers.

http://www.apdt.com/trainers-and-owners/trainer-search/trainer-search.php

Aussies are smart dogs and they will do what works.  But being mishandled is not a good way for a "stranger" to start a relationship with them.  Good luck and I hope that your poor pup wasn't hurt to bad.
BPO does not have my permission to use my photos.

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
    • HaveParrotWillTravel.com
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2005, 12:32:18 am »
Uhh.. Are you serious? If anyone ever tries to do that to your dog again, you should kick the ever-loving sh&* out of them.  Or let me, I'd be happy to for you.. Aussies are sensitive anyways. Why? Don't ever put up with that kinda crap for you pup.  Unless you totally want a damaged dog that won't trust you.

You can get a good training book or dvds to train your pup, and not have to deal with that jerk, if he's the only one close to you. 

Man... I went through some of that kind of stuff when I took my sheltie to obedience.  They wanted to jerk him around like he was a rag-doll, spray vinegar in his mouth if he ever barked.. Hello he is a herding dog, they bark!  Told them hands off.
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Offline AimeeSedlock

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2005, 12:38:21 am »
Thanks so much for the replys, I'm gonna try to find a DVD on training, I can't take him back to that A-hole. I've been concerned about Kobi all night. just bums me out, I was really excited about obedience class.and wish it would have went well.
Oh one of you asked where I live, I live in Western Pa. about 100 miles north of Pittsburgh, very rural area.

Thanks again so much.

Aimee

Offline Moni

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2005, 12:46:02 am »
Here is an awesome website to start with..  http://www.shirleychong.com/index.html  I've used a lot of her stuff with my crew.  Good luck!
BPO does not have my permission to use my photos.

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2005, 12:52:16 am »

I just took my 6 month old Aussie mix Kobi to an obedience class.the first thing they wanted to do was have him be held down, Kobi has always had a problem being restrained. so anyway, I was having a problem getting him down. The trainer came over got VERY rough with him and Kobi bit him. So the trainer hung him, he had a choke chain on so it was even worse, the poor pup shit himself and his lips turned blue, he almost passed out. I was SICK!!!
He did behave after, but I think there has to be a better way to train. the bad news is I live in a rural area and this guy is the ONLY trainer around.
Please any thoughts on this, I really wanted some training for him, he's a really good dog in every other way and loves people.

Thanks,  Aimee
DO NOT GO BACK THERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...OMG!...I can't believe there are still "trainers" that use the old "choke & drag' method!!!!!!!...What that trainer did is ABUSE!!!!!!!!...I have a friend that had the same kind of thing happen...The "trainer" (abuser) broke blood vessels in her dog's eyes forcing the dog into a sit...My friend left & never went back...The "trainer" paid the vet bills...Please don't go back...I'll look up a good link for you & post it as soon as I can.

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
    • HaveParrotWillTravel.com
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2005, 12:56:18 am »
Something to work on if your dog has trouble being still, or restrained, is to make him watch tv with you for a while.  It worked for me anyways.. This was for my sheltie, never was really a touch feely dog until way later on in life.  But I would hold him down for short periods at a time on the couch with me while we watched a bit of television.   He got better so that he could be handled/held still when needed as time went by with our television sessions.   He didn't love it and squirmed around a bit, but eventually figured out he'd get treats if he behaved and was still. But I sure didn't choke him or anything  :-\ It helped later on when I had to trim his nails, or if he got a splinter,etc... 
Not tons of experience here, just my 2 cents on something that worked for me :)

Welcome aboard btw!

Brandon
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2005, 12:59:09 am »

Thanks,  Aimee
DO NOT GO BACK THERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...OMG!...I can't believe there are still "trainers" that use the old "choke & drag' method!!!!!!!...What that trainer did is ABUSE!!!!!!!!...I have a friend that had the same kind of thing happen...The "trainer" (abuser) broke blood vessels in her dog's eyes forcing the dog into a sit...My friend left & never went back...The "trainer" paid the vet bills...Please don't go back...I'll look up a good link for you & post it as soon as I can.
Here...this is who our trainer emulates.
http://www.flyingdogpress.com/artlibreg.htm

GR8DAME

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2005, 10:52:40 am »
OMG, I am so sorry that you and your puppy had to go through that! I agree with Gyps, don't ever go back there! That is abuse absolutely. If that is the only trainer availible in your area, I'd do alot of reading and train him myself rather than subject him to that jerk. I am so angry for you!!!
Stella
« Last Edit: November 15, 2005, 10:53:08 am by GR8DAME »

Kiahpyr

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2005, 11:17:49 am »
That's so horrible! I can't even imagine what your poor baby went through. That trainer should be charged with abuse. Just give your baby lots of lovin'.

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2005, 11:22:12 am »
The Monks of New Skete have a wonderful training DVD/video!!  It's calm and gentle and makes perfect sense.   It's on Amazon.com.

And if you want to give us the trainers address, I'll show up with two drooling Newfs and see what he wants to do with them!  We'll all just sit on him!!! >:(

Icerotti

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2005, 11:35:00 am »
That is such  horrible experience for your baby. I am so sorry you had to go through that. I think that everyone made very good suggestions above. I don't think I could add much more. That so called "trainer" needs serious help.
It makes me so angry to hear about such abuse.

Offline Carolyn

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2005, 05:29:56 pm »
I just don't understand what the purpose would be to restrain him like that. I would have bit him too.
Carolyn
Carolyn

Offline hugo~monster

• Big Paw Certified
  • Giants- companion-protector-inspiration-friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2005, 05:54:31 pm »
that's unreal! what type of training class?  was it just puppy obedience or some type of behavioural class?  geez, i cant imagine that. when we took hugo as a pup to obedience class he learned things like sit, stay, down, wait etc.  the trainer really was teaching us (the owners) how to teach our dogs.  she rarely had to handle the pups except to show us how to use the leashes when having them heel and such.  did he do this in front of you guys? and in front of other owners?  can you imagine what he would do behind closed doors.  you said he is the only trainer in your area.  i dont know where you live, i would certainly be looking in the phone books for other trainers.  perhaps he is the only one who advertises.  if you searched around at vets' offices and grooming shops you might be surprised to find he isnt the only trainer.  is worth a shot.  training classes with a good qualified trainer are invaluable and so worth it, but i agree that this joker is no good.  i hope he didnt scar the pup to being touched by strangers.  i really would be very adament over the next few weeks and make sure that your pup has alot of positive experiences with people.  maybe you could take several trips to petsmart and everyone you meet give treats and love on your pup.  hopefully that stupid trainer's technique hasnt ruined him to meeting new people.   
~SHELLIE & HUGO~

Offline NoDogNow

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2005, 06:10:18 pm »
OK, I've talked to some people about your experience and the consensus is that he's not a bad trainer, he's a psychopath.

But serious props to you.  You are a way, way more controlled person than I am.  My pup wouldn't have had to bite him--I'd have grabbed the choke, knocked him on his a**, put the leash around his neck and choked HIM till he turned blue and sh** in his pants.   >:( >:( >:(  That you didn't end up in jail for assault just speaks volumes about you, because I so completely would have been needing bail money.

There's NO excuse for treating a dog like that, ever, never, ever.  And on top of it he has the unmitigated gall to call himself a professional and charge MONEY to abuse people's dogs? WTF?? >:( >:( 

You should call Animal Control and find out what you have to do to file a formal complaint against him.   You should also call the local newspaper and tell them the story; I'll guarantee that he's been abusing dogs in the name of 'training' for years.  The people of your community should be warned that they're putting their dogs at risk.

Oh, oh, oh.  I'm just furious for you and especially for Kobi.  I'm going to be mad all day now.  I might be mad all week.  :'(

I'm thinking bad karma voodoo curses at the psychopath trainer, so if he runs off the road and breaks both legs...

« Last Edit: November 16, 2005, 06:28:43 am by Jacksmom »
Sheryl, Dogless and sad