Author Topic: Introducing new Puppy to our Newf, any suggestions??  (Read 9586 times)

Offline TwoNewfies

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Introducing new Puppy to our Newf, any suggestions??
« on: May 05, 2005, 02:13:51 pm »
I  have a 10 month old female Newf, who is very socialized, loves everyone and other dogs. We are getting a male Newf puppy next weekend. I'm sure Bella will initially be jealous, but does anyone have suggestions as to how make the transitions any smoother for her and the new puppy as well?
Gina

All dogs are pets.  Newfoundlands are family!

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
Re: Introducing new Puppy to our Newf, any suggestions??
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2005, 03:45:48 pm »
We just brought home a second male Newf and our two year old boy has had NO problem with him.  I just make sure the puppy stays away from the food bowl when the big guy is eating and give him a safe space away from puppy teeth when he's tired of playing.  So far so good!

nickerbokker

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2005, 03:49:51 pm »
OMG, that lil face is BEAUTIFUL!

Offline Jaimie

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2005, 03:54:32 pm »
Seeing as your current pooch is 10 months old there shouldn't be any problem bringing a new puppy into the home, it gets a little trickier if they are older.  Good luck :)

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2005, 04:26:45 pm »
You are sooooooo lucky to be getting a new baby already. Please post some pics when you get him. Oh, and ditto to what everyone said about their meeting. I bet they become best buds soon.
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline moonlitcroatia

• BPO Guru
  • Betti Boo March 2008
    • View Profile
    • Greta's Page
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2005, 07:27:22 pm »
If there is a sterile environment where you can introduce them, sometimes I've heard it helps to let them meet eachother off of your property for the first time and then they can both go home together.   :)
I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love.  For me they are the role model for being alive.  ~Gilda Radner

Offline greek4

• Majestic Member
  • Kole with Maia, Baxter, Rocco, and Cody
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2005, 07:20:34 am »
I brought my exboyfriends female chocolate lab into the house when Rocco was 8 months old.  He like her but played very rough.  I just made sure to watch them when they were together.  I also made sure that the puppy spent time in her cage alone so Rocco and I could have our time together still.  We never had food issues but he constantlly snatched her toys, bones, and treats.  Stupidly I let him do this now she protects her stuff, which really isnt' my issue anymore but I feel a little (very little) bad about the fact that Rocco helped reinforce her guarding her stuff.

When Rocco was almost two I got Maia, OEM, and he knew exactly what to do with her.  Now they play rough, neither has ever gotten hurt (knock on wood).

I would get your big puppy around other puppies and see how he does.  Get him used a small animal being under, around, on top of him.  Plus little puppies bite and bite hard.  I have heard the older dog should mildly correct the puppy but not snap it's head off.  It is tough having two puppies but well worth it, they get to grow up together.

But be careful, you will now want a new puppy every 10 months and it is hard not to get one.  I foster puppies for a rescue and that gets my puppy fix in so I don't crave one as bad.  Though I have another Mastiff when I breed Maia next year.

I hope this helped.
Thanks,

Emily and 1 husband, 1 boy, 1 on the way, and 4 crazy dogs