Author Topic: Yawning??  (Read 13943 times)

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
Yawning??
« on: May 05, 2005, 07:07:30 pm »
When waking up or just waiting for me to do something that Bear wants, he yawns. Not like tiny yawns either (as if anthing he does is tiny- lol) but like loud YYYAHHHNNNWWWW NNNNSSS. He seems as though he is totally lazy and half awake alot of times or that we are boring him to death. What do you think? Dogs yawning on a regular basis frequently- strange?
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

nickerbokker

Re: Yawning??
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2005, 07:14:07 pm »
oh i get the YAWWNNNNNNNNN all the time too!  ALL THE TIME....FROM BOTH NO LESS......

do you ever get the belch?  i mean, my dogs will both just belch randomly!  it CRACKS ME UP.....

but my favorite, ALL TIME FAVORITE....is when they fart!  cody will be laying there and RIP ONE and then look around like what the heck was that!!!!  then he'll smell it!  LOL......i don't know that anything makes me laugh more than my dogs farting! 

Offline mamadog

• Big Paw Certified
  • This is me and my Finn
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2005, 07:14:23 pm »
Not so much Finn, but the girls yawn a lot! And they can't just yawn and get it over with...they have to start to yawn...no...wa it for it...try again.....wait ....and finally get out a big one. It looks silly actually cause they open their mouth a bit then close it a bit, then open a bit again and do this several times before they finally yawn.  And they do yawn quite often.
I wonder if it means anything myself....

Vicki

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2005, 07:18:27 pm »
hehehehe! I totally get the belch and the farting...noth ing clears a room faster than when that happens.  ;D
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Luvmydanes

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2005, 07:34:32 pm »
;D I am so glad I am not the only one who's dog's do the "yawning". LOL. Dane has done it since I can remember. Its mostly in the morning when he needs to go out and I am not getting up to let him out, then he'll yawn and yawn and yawn until I finally get up and let him out!

Offline mamadog

• Big Paw Certified
  • This is me and my Finn
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2005, 10:13:41 pm »
Can we talk about the burping??!! My Tali can not burp untill she has come climbed on my lap and looks me right in the eye, and BURP! Every time. She never just does it, she has to display the burp for me as though it is a sonnet or poem she has composed just for me!  Man I love that girl!
Finn is the farter.... if someday I do not return to this site it's because one of his finally did me in...Oh Man they're bad!!

Vicki

Offline mamadog

• Big Paw Certified
  • This is me and my Finn
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2005, 07:23:58 am »
What a visual!!!!  LOL

Vicki

dohertyswissy

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2005, 12:37:54 pm »
LOL...LOL....I'm guessing it is just a "dog thing."  I'll be scratching Ranger right behind the ears and he'll burp right in my face!!  Ugh - like I needed that!  You got to love it!  The funniest thing is when he's sleeping and he farts.  It startles him awake...then, he looks at Jason and I like we did it, and then get up and move to another part of the room!!  Silly puppy!  He's such a trip! :D

Offline digandbark

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
    • Digby & Barkley - a unique collections of shirt designs for people who love their dogs.
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2005, 11:10:26 am »
I have a book called "How to Speak Dog" and there's a page or so in there about yawning. It mentions that mostly dogs will yawn as pacifying gesture.
I get alot of yawns from my dogs , so maybe they are just telling me that everything is OK. Dogs give us so many signals that we rarely pick up on and if we start learning what some of them mean it makes our relationship with them even better.
And speaking of fart, our boy Ted can clear the house. And he also has a great burp with to go with it.

Barry

McKinley & Ted
Barry
McKinley & Ted

Offline Jaimie

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2005, 05:32:06 am »
Yawning is a calming signal.  A dog may yawn when someone is yelling, excited, happy or when another dog is walking directly to another dog.  I highly recommend reading calming signals by Turid Rugaas, I am trying to pull up the article but can't for some reason but I will keep trying and I will post it when I can.

Offline Saintgirl

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2005, 05:26:55 pm »
I've read the same thing about the yawning. When we are about to go to the park I will get a whole sequence of huge exagerated yawns. He is so exicited to go to the park, and apparentley the yawning helps calm him down.

Burping and farting... Yup, my Hutch is a true man when it comes to that! He sleeps in the bedroom with us, and one morning when we awoke the whole room smelled like one giant fart! :o There he sat looking as proud as could be!!
Leah, Hutch, and Abbey

Offline NatsaintB

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2005, 05:39:16 pm »
I think I yawned like 5 times while reading all these posts!  When Leo yawns it pulls his skin back and he reminds me of a pit bull!  He goes from droopy and lazy to tight and excited!  Now I can't stop yawning...

Offline WildRosePuppy

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2005, 06:48:59 pm »
The day I brought Ms. Elisa Day home she came in the house, sniffed around a bit, sat directly on my foot and let a nasty ol' fart rip. a couple of minutes later I was sitting on the sofa and she came up to me, put her muzzle right up to my face and let a burp out that would curl the hairs in your ears.  She also does the whole yawning thing when she has to go out/needs fed/ want's something that she finds particuliarly interesting outside or just wants my attention. She does it a lot while I'm on the computer too....hmmmmm. ....

Rufiesmom

« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2005, 06:52:59 pm »
Our pups are yawners too but they both vocalize when they yawn.  And talk about farts OMG don't light a match!!! the whole neighborhood would be flattened by the explosion.  Bailey the rotti is also an ear flapper as was our last rotti Sophie.  When she wants to get your attention she flaps her ears really hard and looks at you with tilted head like do you get it?  I just love em to death!!!!

Offline moonlitcroatia

• BPO Guru
  • Betti Boo March 2008
    • View Profile
    • Greta's Page
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2005, 07:25:28 pm »
Hey, Betti is an ear flapper, too.  We started obedience training for her at a place called Diamonds in the Ruff.  Lou and Greta were trained the traditional way...with choke collars and correction.  DITR trains with clickers and rewarding positively.  It is best for Betti since she was so shy of humans. 

Anyway, one thing the trainers there say is that dogs have certain non-verbal cues, of course, and that the shaking, they call it "shaking off", is a behavior that means they are letting go of stress.  So, in class we often see other dogs who are nervous at first shaking off and then lying down as they are more comfortable.  Another behavior they display when they are content is yawning.  In class they taught us that if we, as humans, demonstrate the yawning behavior it will actually help calm our dog.  So, it is funny in class to sometimes see people mock yawning.  Interesting concepts.
I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love.  For me they are the role model for being alive.  ~Gilda Radner