Author Topic: one blue eye  (Read 23656 times)

Offline sc.trojans

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • Gracie and Skylar
    • View Profile
    • Natural K9
Re: one blue eye
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2005, 10:12:07 pm »

I know there isn't being actively discussed now, but I just had to comment as someone who raises Berners.  I find it absolutely unbelievable that your breeder, assuming she is a reputable one, isn't discussing blue eye in Berners with you.  It is very common and considered a fault for show purposes so it disqualifies them in the ring.  I do not believe any breeder who says she has never had one, unless she has had less than 3 litters.  I don't personally know a breeder who has never had a blue eye.

So onto the blue eye - there is absolutely nothing wrong with the functionality of the eye. It is simply a recessive trait - just like in us humans.  It takes the gene in each parent to create it.  Some Berners have one blue eye, and some even have two.  The blue is typically a light, bright blue, just like the Aussie eye.  If the pup is going to have a blue eye, you know it by 6 weeks of age.  If a blue eye is there, it is not going to change.

If you are not going to show or breed the dog, and it will be a companion animal instead, there is absolutely nothing wrong with a blue eye in the Berner - it is unique after all.

I strongly encourage Berner owners to join the Berner-L or NaturalBerners discussion groups on Yahoo Groups.  There is a lot about the breed that requires experience and knowledge, so these lists are very helpful.

Good luck
SC Trojans
with Gracie and Skylar

Offline agowan

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2005, 12:58:18 am »
Well, we've had 10 litters of Berners in our years of involvement with them and have never had a blue eye.  The gene is not common in the lines we've worked with.  We also have darker faces (less white).  The more white and blue eyes often are seen together.

Most babies that will end up with brown eyes are born with dark blue eyes that gradually turn.  We did have one litter that we thought we might have blue eyes in, because the eyes were grayer than usual.  They ended up a lighter brown.  A blue eye is bright blue, almost from the time the eyes open, or so I've been told. 

There is nothing wrong with a blue eye, other than it can't be shown.  It comes down to personal preference as to whether or not you like it.

BabsT

« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2005, 01:06:26 am »
I am sure it is a DQ in the ring but in over all health NO...if you arent planning on showing or breeding then i dont see a problem in taking the pup...

Offline Moni

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2005, 01:32:26 am »
Its probably a moot point by now since this was asked in May, but I figured I'd share this site anyways.  :D

http://www.ashgi.org/color/aussie_eye_color.htm

Yes it talks about aussie eye color, but it explains wonderfully about the different colors.  Its also a great site about colors and genetics.  ;D

My red tri aussie, Mojo had blue eyes until he was around 4 months or so.  Hard to remember the exact age since it was 9yrs ago.  lol  But it was longer than most puppies keep their baby blue eyes.  His ended up being a light amber color, not yellow or dark brown but in between.

My two deaf dogs both have blue eyes.  A common misconception is that blue eyed dogs/cats are all deaf.  However its actually almost the opposite.  The reason that most deaf dogs have blue eyes is because of lack of pigment in the inner year.  If their is no pigment in the inner ear, the nerve endings atrophy and die off.  Usually if their is a lack of pigment there, it also extends to the eyes causing them to be blue.  :)

~moni
BPO does not have my permission to use my photos.

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2005, 01:56:36 am »
I think that site belongs to one of our members! I remember seeing it before when I was checking out her aussies.
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2005, 02:39:49 am »
I've always liked blue eyes in dogs, and was really hoping to get a blue eyed husky mix out of my friend's litter.  No such luck.  Three had odd eyes, the other two had brown eyes.  I picked out the prettiest of the bunch, and am always getting comments on her eyes, mostly if she is blind in that eye.  Which I think is a funny question b/c I've never met a blue eyed dog that is blind.  The only blind dogs I know have cataracts, which makes their eyes white, not blue.   :-\

It's an especially funny question since so many huskies have blue, odd eyes, or bi-eyes.  I haven't met one yet that was blind.