Author Topic: Am I feeding enough?  (Read 8799 times)

Lyn

Am I feeding enough?
« on: November 20, 2005, 09:52:19 am »
As some of you probably know.. I've been feeding Bubba DVP Natural Balance Potato & Duck. But it appears that Bubba does NOT have a food allergy. He is allergic to flea bites.  :( That's where all the scratching/chewing is coming from. Regardless we have decided to keep Bubba on the DVP since it's working wonders for his sensitive tummy.

Now my hubby thinks Bubba is too skinny. He's about 110 pounds, currently maybe a tad less and he's 9 months old. I know it's better that they grow slowly.. but hubby thinks he could use a bit more food. Now I'm beginning to wonder myself.

Here's the feeding guidelines..

Weight of Dog (lbs)  Serving Size 
10 or Less  2/3 to 1 cup 
10 - 20       1 to 1.5 cups 
20 - 30       1.5 to 2 cups 
30 - 40       2 to 2.5 cups 
40 - 60       2.5 to 3 1/3 cups 
60 - 80       3 1/3 to 4.25 cups
80 - 100     4.25 to 4.75 cups 

That is the adult feeding amounts.. and that's pretty much what I've been following. Bubba gets 5 cups a day. 2.5 in the morning and 2.5 at suppertime.

Hubby thinks I should be following the PUPPY feeding guidelines.. not the adult. But the recommended amount for puppies is double. 8.5 to 9.5 cups a day. Seems like alot to me..

What do you all think?

GR8DAME

Re: Am I feeding enough?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2005, 10:33:58 am »
I have never fed my dogs by the guidelines on the bags, I've always found that each dog is too much of an individual for that. I never really went by weight either, because 70 LBs on my dobie is not the same as 70 LBs on my dane/IW mix. As long as their coats are good, muscles developing normally, energy level high and eyes bright and happy, I wouldn't worry. You should be able to just see (or feel, in heavy coated dogs) their ribs, as too much weight on a growing puppy can lead to alot of joint and bone issues. Also, pups will go through growth spurts, and their needs  will fluctuate to accomodate that as well
Merlin-4 years old eats 10 cups of food plus 1 can a day, he is thin as a rail, but healthy as a horse per my vet.
Raven 11 years old eats 3 cups of food and 1/2 a can and is a little fatso.
Strider is 11 months old and eats 6 cups of food and 1/2 a can and is ideal body form and condition.
As you see the amount needed can really vary.
Stella
« Last Edit: November 20, 2005, 10:35:51 am by GR8DAME »

Offline BabsT

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2005, 10:52:02 am »
Second the above post...feeding guideline is just that a guideline a starting point...modify from there when needed
Zero 23mth  Central Asian Ovcharka
Anchara 16mth old Caucasian Ovcharka

Lyn

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2005, 10:54:07 am »
Bubba does have a nice layer of fat over the ribs. I have to apply a little bit of pressure to feel each rib. I think the reason Hubby is thinking he's too skinny is because he's at that awkard leggy stage. Sometimes though I even look at him and think geez you look skinny. LOL

I would prefer not to follow the label either. But Bubba's such a pig he would empty the bowl regardless of how much I put in it. I was feeding him 7 cups a day and my vet told me before to cut back a bit that I was feeding too much. He's not all that active unless I make him play.. so even cutting back to 5 cups he's still gaining weight and has put on some girth.

I dunno maybe it's just me?! I'll have to take some new pics and post them for everyone to critique.  :D

Offline BabsT

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2005, 11:05:42 am »
I try to keep my dogs skinny while growing...the pic with Zero and the snake is his summer weight and about 9months old and my female who is 25wks old now is thick thick coated and i can feel her ribs very easily without looking for them...now that it is getting colder, i up'd the food because they spend a lot of time outside.

These are just pics so you can see...other people may want their dogs to have more weight because they want BIG dogs...healthy and happy is my preferance and they will eventually get what they are genitically meant to be

Offline BabsT

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2005, 11:28:20 am »
The pics didnt go through...this is how thin i kept my dog while he was doing big growing (pic with snake)...i can feel ribs without looking for them and my female although thick coated...you can immed feel ribs when you got feel her sides...

GR8DAME

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2005, 01:12:40 pm »
Mine are short coated, so you can see what I mean. First is Merlin, then Strider.
Stella

Offline BabsT

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2005, 01:15:21 pm »
Strider reminds me of a giant Catahoula Leopard dog...such beautiful markings on both of them

GR8DAME

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2005, 01:19:12 pm »
Thanks Babs. They are my pride and joy, next to my skinkids.
Stella

Lyn

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2005, 09:07:09 pm »
Thanks. I see what you both mean. Although Saints are different in structure it gives me a good comparision.

Bubba's body structure actually looks similar to Zero's first pic. Thin.. but not 'thin' if you know what I mean.

Here's a pic of Bubba taken today. I have to take my pics outside since the house lighting makes all my pics too fuzzy. I need a new camera.  ;) Bubba's bum is still bareish from the vet shaving around that hot spot. It's taking forever for that spot to grow back in.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2005, 09:09:54 pm by Lyn »

Offline Senghe

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2005, 10:57:44 pm »
Bubba looks perfect to me - not skinny but not rolly poley fat. How old is he?

I was going to post several photos of Flynn at different ages, but he's always been about the same proportions and never gone through an awkward stage. Here he is at 8 months and 9 months. He's filling out a bit now and his chest is dropping.

Yaz

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2005, 11:00:31 pm »
Hi Lyn,
I think Bubba looks fine - he is definitely at the adolescent stage - very similar to a teenage boy that hasn't grown into his adult body yet. I know that Bubba and Guinness were on par with each other at first, but Guinness has a very thick build - when he was a pup he looked almost bulldogged in appearance. When we saw him on the weekend at nine months he was 150ish, which is fourty pounds more than Bubba but you can't compare since they have such different frames.

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2005, 12:36:17 am »
Thanks. I see what you both mean. Although Saints are different in structure it gives me a good comparision.

Bubba's body structure actually looks similar to Zero's first pic. Thin.. but not 'thin' if you know what I mean.

Here's a pic of Bubba taken today. I have to take my pics outside since the house lighting makes all my pics too fuzzy. I need a new camera.  ;) Bubba's bum is still bareish from the vet shaving around that hot spot. It's taking forever for that spot to grow back in.
I feed my dogs what I think they need & if they gobble that down in no time flat I give them each another cup...I am not worried about them getting overweight as pups because they are active even for Great Pyrs...I check their ribs weekly & even though they've both been eating like pigs since the cold weather hit I have no worries about their body fat.

Lyn

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2005, 09:53:36 am »
Senghe, Bubba is 9 1/2 months now. He'll be 10 months on Nov. 2nd.

Yaz, Bubba was built like a little tank, like his daddy when we first brought him home at 9 weeks. But his legs appeared to grow overnight and nothing else. He had a huge head, long legs and skinny body. LOL At least he's a bit more in proportion now.

Bubba mom was a beast. She weighed 155 pounds and was pretty tall for a female. His Dad was shorter, but solid and really wide. He weighed about 220 pounds. My vet figures Bubba will hit 200 pounds. I don't really see it.

I think Hubby is in a hurry for him to hit his final weight. He wants me to feed him more. But I'm trying to explain to him that feeding him more will just put more weight on his joints.

Plus Bubba's shoulders, front ankles/hocks and hips are clicking when he walks sometimes. That's another reason my vet suggested to drop him from 7 to 5 cups a day. Luckily my vet doesn't think it's hip dysplasia. Both his hips fit properly in the socket and rotate freely. But it's still something we are keeping an eye on. The clicking started after his pano diagnosis when he was favoring his front right leg. Still worries me though.  :(

Offline BabsT

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2005, 10:51:45 am »
That is perfect...he is not too skinny....trus t me, it is better in the long run...