Author Topic: Am I feeding enough?  (Read 8636 times)

Offline Svnt4God

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
    • Visit my Website
Re: Am I feeding enough?
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2005, 08:26:32 pm »
" Serving Size  "

I think the key word here is SERVING SIZE.   This is not the quantity of food PER DAY, but per serving.   Giant Breed dogs should be feed at a minumum of 2 to 3 times per day.  So, if your serving size is 5 cups ... that should be fed 2 to 3 times per day.  Chances are though that the dog will not eat that much.  When the dog walks away from the food (if any left over) pick up the bowl until the next meal time.

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2005, 08:41:26 pm »
I totally agree with what is already said here, it is waaaay better to have a dog a little on the light side rather than on the fat side, especially our big and giant dogs. Mind you all dogs are different and have a different metabolism. If both you and hubby think you might want a tad bit more weith on him, I would try to feed him 2 cups 3 times a day, that will only be about 1/2 a cup more than what youre already feed, but even if it is just a slight upting in amount, if you feed more times a day it is easier for them to digest and really take up the nutrition in each meal.

But I think he looks really nice too, so I wouldnt worry at all.

Good Luck and happy eating

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

Lyn

« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2005, 11:30:26 am »
Bubba never leaves 'anything' in his bowl. I feed Bubba twice a day.

Now that I switched him to Solid Gold Hundenflocken he's getting 6 cups total. 3 cups in the morning between 7-8 am and 3 cups at about 5pm. The calories are a bit less with this food, so I tried to adjust it accordingly so the calorie intake was about the same.

I found that 3 feedings made his loose stool worse. But I may try putting him back on 3 meals a day and just monitor his potty duties. lol

Thanks all.