Author Topic: How old is too old...?  (Read 13513 times)

Offline Leah-n-boy-os

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
How old is too old...?
« on: May 06, 2005, 10:59:19 am »
Hello. I'm new here, but I thought this might be the best place to get the answers I need. I'm the proud chewtoy of a St. Bernard/Chow x. His name's Apollo. He's just over 15 months old now. We adopted him (or perhaps we should say, he adopted us!) from our local animal shelter.

Apollo has a very disconcerting habit that I was wondering if Obedience training might take care of, however, how old is "too old" for classes. I see advertisments all the time for "Puppy Classes", but nothing for boys like mine.

Can Apollo be enrolled in a Puppy Class?

As far as the behavior, Apollo likes to "taste" people. By this I mean, he's not "biting" people, but when folks first come into my home, Apollo likes to take their arm in his mouth and suck on it. He doesn't bite down, just sucks. However, he's got the size of the Saints, so most people are *very reluctant* to have him do this.  :-[

He's the most affable, lovable guy there is, but I'm concerned that if he doesn't cease this, he will be labled "agressive" or "vicious" which couldn't be further from the truth. He just seems to have this oral fixation that nothing seems to break. He "tastes" alot of other things too.

He has lots of toys, and a companion in our other dog Zeus, so I don't think boredom is a factor.

Can anyone help me out here??

Thanks a bunch!
Leah and the Boy-os
Apollo (Akita/St. Bernard)
Zeus (Heinz 57)
Onyx (Newfoundland)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Being owned by Big Paws just indicates how big your heart is.

located - Gig Harbor, WA

Luvmydanes

Re: How old is too old...?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2005, 11:05:02 am »
I know exactly what you are talking about with Apollo. Our great danes do the same thing. I've read that it is called "mouthing". Whenever they do it we say "ow!" and they immediately stop. We only had to do it with our 18 month old for about the first 3-6 months and he hasn't done it since. I don't think 15 months is too old at all. A local obiedience school here told me "no dog is too old" so I would call around and check some places out. Good luck!

Kandi

dohertyswissy

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2005, 12:30:55 pm »
My Swiss Mountain Dog, Ranger, is mouthy too.  I think teaching them bite inhibition is important - how hard is too hard, etc.  We've been working with Ranger by saying "Ouch" when he starts getting mouthy, then giving him a toy.  Trying to get him to associate that it is okay to chew on certain things...just not Mom and Dad!  There are all ranges of obedience classes for all ages of dogs.  Never too late!  In my area, most vet hospitals offer a large range of obedience classes.  I'm sure that there is probably a basic obedience class that will take older pups.  Good Luck and Have Fun!  :)

Offline Leah-n-boy-os

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2005, 01:27:37 pm »
Thank you to all for your suggestions. I will start checking around for an obedience class ASAP!

Have a great weekend.
Leah and the Boy-os
Zeus (Heinz 57)
Onyx (Newfoundland)

located - Gig Harbor, WA

Offline stjennifer2413

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2005, 12:47:02 pm »
Definitely go for the obedience class.  I've got a new foster Saint with some very bad habits and I enrolled him in basic obedience.  He's almost 3 and this is his first class but he's doing really well.  A good trainer will be able to help you break Apollo's "mouthiness" in a few weeks.

Offline Sullivan

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2005, 02:57:42 pm »
Apollo sounds exactly like Seamus.  People must think i'm abused, as I always have bruises on my arms.  It's not that he is trying to hurt me, but sometimes it just happens.
We are in basic obedience classes at petsmart now.  Seamus is 11 months old, and he is not the oldest dog either.  There is a 4 year old I think.  They seem to be going okay.
We've tried the "ouch" thing and it seems to make him more excited.  The best thing (we learned from classes) is that when he does it.  You say "uh-uh" or "no-no" and when he stops, praise him.  Once he lets go tell him "good boy!!!".  It is the only thing that has even kind of worked.  Seamus gets so distracted by the "good boy!" that he forgets he wanted to chew on me.  Once he lets go and I tell him "good boy!" I usually tell him to go get a toy and he usually complies.  The trick is to sound really mad or disgusted with the "uh-uh" and then super, super excited when he lets go. 
That is my suggestion.  Good luck!

Offline Leah-n-boy-os

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2005, 03:52:50 pm »
Thank you Sullivan and stjennifer2413 . After looking over the weekend, I've found two places that will accept Apollo in their next class, so we are on our way.

Sullivan - I agree with you about the "ouch" having a different affect. Apollo hears it so often from our two little boys fighting amongst themselves, that I do not think he grasps the different ways in which the word can be used. I like your idea of disgust though, he's very senstive to his "dignity" and becomes very huffy if he thinks that someone thinks less of his behavior. I'll definately give that a try until we can get enrolled in class.

Thank you to all for all of your great suggestions. I *finally* coaxed my baby into sitting still for a picture, so I'll get one posted this evening of him. ;D

Leah
Leah and the Boy-os
Zeus (Heinz 57)
Onyx (Newfoundland)

located - Gig Harbor, WA

Offline Wolf_Lover

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2005, 05:12:05 pm »
I posted an answer on another thread...maybe it'll help...

http://bigpawsonly.com/index.php/topic,740.msg5353.html#msg5353