Author Topic: Chewing  (Read 5074 times)

Offline OdyOne

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Chewing
« on: May 06, 2005, 12:25:52 pm »
My dog, Dozer, is having a hard time here!  He keeps chewing everything.  When I go to work I used to let him be free.  Now I can't, he eats everything.  I make sure the house is picked up and he still finds stuff.  He eats the pillows to the couch and last week, he actually got books down from the bookshelf!  I am wondering if it is separation anxiety?  I don't know what to do about him.  I hate to cage him up all day and he really is a sweet boy but I can't have a dog who is eating everything in sight.  Any suggestions??
Melody and Dozer

Offline Carolyn

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
Re: Chewing
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2005, 12:30:36 pm »
Rather than a crate for all day I always fenced off the kitchen, its easier to "puppy proof".
Carolyn
Carolyn

Offline OdyOne

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2005, 12:34:08 pm »
Thats something I can't do.  Number one, he will jump over gates.  Number two, I have a very open house  and I would need a HUGE gate to cover it!  My dog is too smart and too stupid for his own good!  I feel so bad, I don't want to get rid of him but I have to work and he is getting himself into BIG trouble when I am gone!

Offline brat

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2005, 03:06:11 pm »
Chewing you say?????? Been there - done that...was recomended bitter apple...(you can get it at the pet store). tried spraying it on everything ( I am a non crate type!)  and guess what? Lucy Joy didnt mind that at all thank you very much.....soooo o it came down to choices for me...

I put everything I really really cared about either in a closet or waaaaay up high...and waited out the chewing phase...Yep..s he loved my books...and the couch....but I chose to see it as an adventure....  I didnt know what went into the framework, the building of a couch.  I do now - and hey I had finished with those textbooks too...BUT..if only she would clean up the mess afterwards...i nstead.... she would be soooo happy to see me..."look mum...see how clever I was.."  Riiiiiiiight.. ...BUT:  "this too shall pass"....Repeat after me..... ::)

Offline Jaimie

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2005, 03:14:53 pm »
How old is your dog?  The only solution may be to crate your dog.  I tried the bitter apple thing with my dog and as luck would have he actually liked the stuff, go figure.  Try not to think about crating as something mean( why don't you like crates?), dogs actually like being crated, it is their den.  You could always work on the seperation anxiety by just leaving the house for a minute or so and then returning and gradually make the time that you are away even longer, it is a great way to treat seperation anxiety by showing the dog that you will indeed return.  It is WAY to exhausting to have to worry about what is being destroyed while you are away, been there done that, not fun.  I don't think you should have to part with your pooch over this matter.  Hope that helps, good luck.

Offline brat

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2005, 03:21:31 pm »
My lucy joy DID grow out of it....she "matured"....rofl....an d yes separation anxiety when they are young 'uns....but Lucy learned very quickly that mum will ALWAYS come back for her... I did the leave for 5 minutes and return to prove this point...

goood luck ...... :o

Offline OdyOne

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2005, 05:46:57 pm »
It isn't that I don't like it, I just hate to have to pen him up for a whole day!  I just got a new job where I work 3 10 hour days.  That mean Dozer goes in his cage at 7am and my husband isn't home until 6pm.  If he would stop this chewing he would have free roam of the house.  And the only reason I think it is separation anxiety is because he only does it when "I" leave!  He never does it when John leaves the house, only when I do.  Thank you all so much for your help!
Melody

Offline Carolyn

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2005, 11:26:31 am »
That is a long time to be in a crate, what about an outdoor pen? Only bad thing he'll probably become a barker.
Carolyn
Carolyn

ann

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2005, 08:21:21 pm »

i had the samething with my female boxer we went through a leather couch and love seat and several phone books among other things , i started getting up an extra hour earler and let her run i think that helped alot but i think growing up alittle as the big thing....i work from 8-530 but i come home for a hour for lunch and let the dogs romp..is there anyone who could come and walk him or a doggy day care in your area...good luck i know how ya feel

ann

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2005, 01:31:38 am »
I remember The Hatter chewing the phone books...That was amusing...When she ate your leather furniture, that was not..OMG!...I remember...I remember! :-\