Author Topic: How many pairs of pants can I rip????  (Read 6611 times)

Offline starla

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
How many pairs of pants can I rip????
« on: November 22, 2005, 08:54:48 pm »
Hello... My name is STARLA, I'm a St Bernard, just under 15 weeks old and loving life at a full 40 lbs! ;D  I have a big yard to run around in and a full reign on a good size house too, but i just love to follow my loving parents around and drag myself on there pant legs untill I get tossed in the Garage!  They aways try to give me toys or chew thing or ropes or anything to disctract me but that only works for about 2 mins... then i realize I'm not nipping at a pant leg and go after the closest one in sight...

Ice works for me... and pig ears, but at this point I can rip a pair of jean in like 2 chomps...  ???

Any suggestions...  My loving parents are thinking of getting a good squirt gun and trying that for a bit, but they just think i'm too cute to squirt in the FACE...

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
Re: How many pairs of pants can I rip????
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2005, 09:48:19 pm »
.....or on a previously ripped pair of pants, spray a good dose of bitter apple and let her fly.  The spray of water works well too! 

Offline Fumble

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2005, 09:54:36 pm »
hahahaha.. that's greaT! not for your pants of coursE! or your legs because of the puppy teeth! but i can definately relate!  fumble stopped after a few weeks, and is now onto chewing on everything else!  but it stops, i swear!!   :)  with the spray bottle.. fumble loves getting sprayed!  he thinks it's great and will actually do more bad when he gets sprayed so it gets him again! 
« Last Edit: November 22, 2005, 09:55:38 pm by Fumble »
"My newfoundlands live my life as passionately as i live theirs"
"I slip the hater of what i've become.  they slip the halter of what they've been, and we live together, passionately, changed"
-Both from "in the company of newfies"

WE REPRESENT THE LOLLIPOP GUILD!!!

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2005, 10:11:28 pm »
First of all, Welcome to BPO! We would love to see more pictures of Starla :)

I agree with what has been previously said. A squirt bottle with a no, followed by praise as soon as she stops is good to try. Bitter apple spray is also good to try - and if you find that bitter apple doesn't work, you could also try some tobasco on an already ruined pair
RIP former BPO

MommyOfSchnauzers

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2005, 11:44:54 pm »
Oh I can relate!  Only with me, I was dressed up and the skirt was a tulip type skirt and the bottom just just a tad "swingy".  Well,  Dazy just could NOT resist the temptation.  One chomp and it was bye bye for that skirt.  *sigh*  I liked that skirt too.

Offline Heighway

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Webster at 8 months
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2005, 12:10:31 am »
Webster and Fumble are sooooo much alike!  Webster loves to be squirted in the face! He doesn't like to be told "no" and will cry like a baby, but then he will stop what he was doing....well, for a wee time anyway...
Karen

Offline doglover

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2005, 05:01:46 am »
Hi and Welcome. I have a Saint who will be 5 months on the 29th. We tried using the squirt bottle and it didn't work, she loved it, as she loves all water. just to let you know.

Offline jules

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2005, 10:49:18 am »
Spotakiss does the same thing with my pants and if I have a long sleeve shirt on.He just wont let go.Need help too!

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2005, 10:51:47 am »
Sounds stupid but have you tried yelping?  Act like she's killing you.  If they don't realize they're hurting you everything you do is play to them.  Nee used to love to grab my sweatshirts, (I have a nice hole in the butt of the one I'm wearing right now thanks to him) and that's how I stopped him.
BPO's Official Mistress of Mirth

Charter Member of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club

"And you will know us by the trail of skank."

Offline iluvbigdogz

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2005, 11:03:11 am »
I have a great pyr. When he was a baby, he did the same thing. Especially to my kids. He thought the stream of water comming out of the squirt bottle was something to play with. (He HATES it now that he is older). Anyway, the only thing that worked for us was to stop walking or moving and fold your arms and turn away from him. He did continue for a few more seconds but the fun was gone so he stopped. There are many things that people will tell you to do and you should try all of them until you find one that works. I love you puppy. Too cute.

Offline brigid67

• BPO Guru
  • Dream And Desire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2005, 12:34:18 pm »
at my house its how many pairs of shoes can I eat?

Offline Fumble

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2005, 07:35:40 pm »
oh my gosh!  i wish that anything worked! lol!  fumble gets more excited with the yelping or crying.  when i turn my back, he only trys to attack the back of my legs.. oh my poor legs!  and the stream of water, we've even tried putting lemon juice in it.. that was just a waste!  he just loves it!  i think i've just gotten kinda used to saying "no bite" or "leave it"... most of the time when he gets all excited and "attacks" us it's because he has to go out.. then when he comes back in he's like a new puppy.. or give your puppy ice cubes or a frozen towel with a knot in it! fumble LOVES those two thingS!
"My newfoundlands live my life as passionately as i live theirs"
"I slip the hater of what i've become.  they slip the halter of what they've been, and we live together, passionately, changed"
-Both from "in the company of newfies"

WE REPRESENT THE LOLLIPOP GUILD!!!

Offline tyscrzymom

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2005, 01:41:58 am »
Hi,Welcome to BPO.My Bubba was awful at the chewing thing.His fav. thing to chew was my 4 yr old sons clothes because he was his size and defenceless..p oor kid! We tried everything too...the water thing never worked for us. He is 8 months old now and still loves to get squirted...lol Bitter apple worked for us but we had to figure out how to use it...I was told to use it by a lady on a list so I sprayed it all over the kid and we went out to see the pup in the yard and Bubba was all over him chewing away...didn't work. So I was telling the lady what had happened and she said No silly when the dog bites you spray the dogs mouth...duh so we tried it and it only took a few days and he stopped chewing on clothes with people in them!Now if you take your coat off and lay it on the couch that is a whole different story...lol  Good Luck!! I know this is a hard one to break but you'll find what works for you guys
Take Care,Heather&Bubba

Offline waffles717

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2005, 08:06:40 pm »
[Try a Clicker it works!!! i use it on maggie have got one 10$click it then give a snack show that is better then bitting!! only when doing the thing really Bad!!! try it get Tomarrow Petco any pet store has the,them,let me know!!! try giving bagels for snack she could be hungrey!!! let me know!! m,l!!!!!
This Beethoven, he went to vet yesterday, he is 36 pound and only 9 weeks old!

Offline starla

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2005, 09:29:29 pm »
Thanks all for the great advice... I'm not sure where to start.  Starla loves water... when shes in the back yard and the main sprinkler system goes on she bolts directly to one of the heads and starts to bite it off or play with it... Water is going to be a tough one...  The bitter apple thing in the mouth when she bites sound like it could work...
« Last Edit: November 27, 2005, 09:32:20 pm by starla »