Author Topic: rethinking getting a 2nd dog....  (Read 3581 times)

GYPSY JAZMINE

rethinking getting a 2nd dog....
« on: May 07, 2005, 10:10:48 pm »
Something came to light today when I was reading posts at another forum...Simply put the person said "One dog is a pet...2 or more dogs is a pack"...They were talking about dogs getting loose & killing a neighbors dog, going after their cats, etc...I remember years ago I had a boyfriend who had a Simoyed (sp.?) Husky who was the sweetest thing you ever knew until the day she got loose & killed a neighbors goat with two other neighborhood dogs...Maybe it is better to just have Samson as an only dog...I just don't know for sure now...I was leaning towards a Newfie, a St. or another Great Pyrenees...Any input or words of wisdom for me?...I am just very unsure now. :-\

Offline Jaimie

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
Re: rethinking getting a 2nd dog....
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2005, 03:56:41 am »
 I believe that as long as your pooch is not overly aggressive that there is no need to be concerned about having more than one dog.  Most cases that you hear about dogs in packs attacking people are usually very very aggressive and they have ignorant owners.  Just think of how many people have multiple dog households.  I wouldn't worry about it.  We are all responsible owners in here and we train our dogs and socialize them very well so there is no reason to believe that you couldn't have all the dogs you want.  It is a shame that other peoples ignorance and stupidity would make us feel this way about wanting to have more than one of the most lovable creatures around.  That's my opinion.  Looking forward to hearing everyone elses take on this issue. :)

Luvmydanes

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2005, 09:11:38 am »
I agree. We have 2 dogs, and they have seperate dog runs, and we let them out together at night to play, and we let them out seperate so we can work with them on sit, fetch, shake, those kinds of things. I think that if the owner is ignorant than it will be a problem. So far so good here. We've always had 2 dogs, and its always worked out for us. Let us know what you decide. :)

Kandi

Rufiesmom

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2005, 10:18:27 am »
I can't imagine having only one dog!  I have wondered how it would feel if the dogs were in charge and we were the pets.  It would be nice to have another of your own species to talk to and wonder what the h*ll those other creatures that "own" you are really talking about.  I think its much easier to leave 2 dogs alone to keep each other company than just one dog alone to try and amuse himself.  And BONUS!  twice the love!!

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2005, 10:45:15 am »
Thanks all!...That's kind of what I was thinking too but I am still a bit unsure now...& that's just why we were planning on getting another dog...It's going to be a puppy for Samson...My Sammy is never left unattended unless I run to the store & then he is in the house....It would be the same for another dog if we get one...My fence will start to go up on Monday!...We have over an acre yard & we are fencing in most of it...Samson & the potential new dog would never be left in the yard unattended either...Not even if I am only running to the gas station...They will be in the house if they can't go with me...maybe it will be o.k. but I am going to keep thinking on it & researching... Samson is 9 & 1/2 months old & we would like to get him a puppy before he is 2...I want to get him trained for cart pulling & get him out of the most of the puppy stage before we move on to a 2nd dog...So, I still have time to weigh all the pros & cons...Ty again!

Offline Jaimie

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2005, 10:47:45 am »
Samson will be so delighted to have a buddy, good luck.  What breed are you thinking on getting?

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2005, 11:31:08 am »
I thought we had decided on a Newfie but...lol...no w we aren't sure...It will be a Newfie, St. or another Pyr.

Offline Jaimie

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2005, 03:37:59 pm »
Thats 3 great choices to chose from.. good luck, I am glad it is not me making that decision..lol. .. very tough.

Offline kildeskennel

• Paw-meister
  • Beautiful beauty
    • View Profile
    • Kildes Kennel
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2005, 06:29:55 pm »
We have always had at leat 3 dogs, our neighbor has 5 and they listen to him as Alpha, literally, the most well behaved dogs.  Mine are excellent as well.  However iti s true, unattended in a "pack" they will get in to trouble they would not normally get into.  Fencing your yard is a great idea and I highly recommend it.  Any dog with one or more are technically in a pack, and will act as such if left unattended. Expect it and prepare for it.  Responsible ownership is a must with only one but even more with 2 or more.  "Idle paws are the devils tools!"  If you are fenced in and its safe and secure do not worry yourself to death,  having a companion or two should not give you ulcers!
Happiness comes of the capacity to feel deeply, to enjoy simply, to think freely, to risk life, to be needed.
Storm Jameson