Author Topic: Unsure about getting another dog...  (Read 11014 times)

GYPSY JAZMINE

Unsure about getting another dog...
« on: May 07, 2005, 10:13:55 pm »
Something came to light today when I was reading posts at another forum...Simply put the person said "One dog is a pet...2 or more dogs is a pack"...They were talking about dogs getting loose & killing a neighbors dog, going after their cats, etc...I remember years ago I had a boyfriend who had a Simoyed (sp.?) Husky who was the sweetest thing you ever knew until the day she got loose & killed a neighbors goat with two other neighborhood dogs...Maybe it is better to just have Samson as an only dog...I just don't know for sure now...I was leaning towards a Newfie, a St. or another Great Pyrenees...Any input or words of wisdom for me?...I am just very unsure now.

Offline tanimara

• Big Paw Certified
  • Tanimara's Spirit Warrior "Warrior"
    • View Profile
    • Tanimara Great Pyrenees
Re: Unsure about getting another dog...
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2005, 10:46:57 am »
In general, you will not have a problem with your Pys going after any other animals unless they come into their territory.  I have 6 and even though they are not allowed out of a fenced area with the goats, they have gotten out before as a "pack".  No problems.

I cant speak for other breeds but as a breeder of Pyrs for almost 20 years, I can tell you it's not a problem with the breed.  There is always that one exception however so this is a decision you should make for yourself.

If you do not keep your dogs fenced, I can tell you that they will roam more when there is more than one loose.

Jackie
Jackie Wood
Owner/Breeder Tanimara Great Pyrenees

"A people without a history is like wind on the buffalo grass"
Crazy Horse - Oglala Sioux

GR8DAME

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2005, 12:19:41 pm »
Since hubby and I both work, I have always had at least two large-giant dogs in the house, currently have three, and when my Mom is away from her house I have four for weeks at a time. I do have a fenced in back yaerd where they can run around freely, but other than that I live in an urban area and keep them leashed outside of my property. That is not to say that they have never gotten loose, but it happens infrequently(the last time was probably three years ago) and they are obedeince trained well enough to beat it home when called. I think that it depends on the individual animals, their training and prey drives as to whether they are a threat to other animals or people.
I do agree that the number of pets that you have is your decision-and your responcibility . Having more than one dog is much like having more than one child, double the work,but also for us anyway, double the fun.
Stella

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2005, 01:49:57 pm »
Ty for the replies!...Our fence is starting to go up TOMORROW!!!! ;D  We have over an acre yard & are fencing in the whole abck which is most of it!...I think I will keep researching the 3 breeds I am interested in again. :)  I thought we would get a Newfie...It was all but decided but now...lol...I think I like the St.'s too & am leaning more & more towards another Pyr!

Rufiesmom

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2005, 02:49:15 pm »
I think another Pyr is a pyrfect choice!!

Offline Saljen

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Rosie with icy whiskers
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2005, 12:01:56 am »
I've had dogs for nearly all my life. For most of my childhood, we only had one dog (Maddie). Then when I got older, the family got a second dog (Captain). Then a third (Luna). When we got Capt, Maddie had begun her senior years, and was starting to feel and show it. After she got used to and bonded with Capt, it changed her completely. She was playful again and much happier, and became more involved in the family and the goings-on in the house again. In fact, Maddie became much more 'dog-like' and just seemed much more contented than she ever had been b4. And I think Capt added several years onto Maddie's life (she lived to be 17). Luna came along years later when Maddie had gotten old enough that she wanted to be left alone more, which was very good for Capt, because he then bonded with Luna and so Maddie's passing was not as hard on him. I now have two dogs of my own. I agree, it is a personal decision about how many dogs to have, but from my experience, it is a better thing to have more than one dog at a time. What that person said is true, 2 or more dogs is a pack - and dogs are pack animals. They think of us, their familiy, as part of that pack. But I think they need the company of other dogs as well. There are exceptions because some dogs don't 'play well with others' and just are better only children. But I just think that in general, dogs lives are far more enriched, balanced and contented when they have other dogs to complete their pack. If you've ever seen two dogs tumble around a yard together, or sleep piled up together on the couch, then you know what I mean.  :)

Offline Tabby

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2005, 12:20:29 pm »
I have a samoyd/husky mix.  She is a wonderful dog but she would injure small animals if she got the opportunity.  Samoyeds and husky's are prey animals and must be taught at a very early age not to display that behaviour.  Since my mix was full grown when rescued we didn't have that opportunity.  I also have a Pyr.  They are guardians, protectors.  My Pyr is safe with all of my smaller animals.  It's a hoot to watch him play with my 3 ferrets.  Even when my Samoyed goes after birds or squirrels in the yard, the Pyr makes no attempt to join in such "games".  So, I don't think it's how many as much as it is what breed.  Get another Pyr and enjoy :)
Tabby and Mike the Pyr

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2005, 10:11:55 pm »
I will get another Pyr (or St...haven't decided for sure yet) & enjoy it darnit!...lol...After reading your replies & after much research I can see we'll be o.k. here...I am fostering a bunny right now & Samson lets it crawl all over him & just lays there...He's great with all other animals...Ty all for putting my mind at ease!