Author Topic: Could anyone refer me to some good Brown Newfie breeders?  (Read 7442 times)

Offline n0carrots

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Could anyone refer me to some good Brown Newfie breeders?
« on: November 30, 2005, 02:17:27 am »

Hi everyone! I'm new here :) This website is awesome, I gotta say ;D

My family and I want to adopt a newfie next summer (I've fallen in love with the browns--they're so beautiful), but I'm having a hard time finding the "right" breeder... I've been thinking about Casa Loma Newfoundlands tho, does anyone know anything about them? I would really appreciate everyone's input :) I live in San Francisco (CA) by the way, but not many breeders around here :(

Offline coral

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
Re: Could anyone refer me to some good Brown Newfie breeders?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2005, 03:29:19 pm »
I have some experience with Casa Loma. PM if you'd like details.

And to answer your question, I've been looking for a brown breeder for about a year and have yet to find one that I am really comfortable with and really like the look of their dogs. In fact, I've just recently given up and thought I'd try again when I was ready for the next one.

Offline 4-H Pride

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2005, 04:29:44 pm »
We have one here in the Dayton/Cincinnati, OH area that has some of the most beautiful dogs that I've seen. Vist their web site www.tlcnewfoun dlands.com

Offline Winslow 151

• Paw-meister
  • Winslow at 6 Months
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2005, 05:54:27 pm »
Hi,

Try posting on www.newf.net  this is a newf dedicated board with a few breeders on it that can probably point you in the right direction for anything Newf
Happy Tails to All
Winslow's Dad

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2005, 07:58:59 pm »
Since you are in the San Francisco area, contact the local Newf Club, the NCNC for help. There are so breeders of browns in the club and other people who can help you out alot I'm sure.
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline AmorosaNewf

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2005, 03:54:00 am »
Hi,

Take you time ak question like:
How long they have been breeding,
why do they breed,
which local, regional or NCA are they mebers of and are active inwhat way?
Contact local rescue and ask if the breeder takes its dog back or are they likely to have dogs in rescue,
get the name & number of vet they use and question the vet the type of care and prevention they give their dogs.
visit, visit and most importnatly meet the dogs being bred,ask to see copies of OFA, OVC or Pennhip findinds on hips, elbows, heart and cystinuria. Every dog used should be tested for hip & elbow dysplasia, heart SAS & cysytinuria status. there is no excuse not to!!!!

Now in New York you may contact Helen Mancuso  at boradale@capital.net
Or visit the NCA website to find a reputable breeder inyour area. http://www.newfdogclub.org/

all the best,
take your time

A. Ayala-Hubbard
AmorosaNefound lands.com

Offline waffles717

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2005, 08:31:05 am »
yes I have A Breeder in S,D, she Pups!!know!! left Becky Conway!!!
This Beethoven, he went to vet yesterday, he is 36 pound and only 9 weeks old!

Offline waffles717

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2005, 08:33:31 am »
let me ask her if they are Brown?m,l,
This Beethoven, he went to vet yesterday, he is 36 pound and only 9 weeks old!

Offline Newf Lover

• BPO Fanatic
  • Cool dog + Cold beer = Chilled Out
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ryanbrumley.com
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2005, 12:30:40 pm »
Ditto what Jaime said, contact the NCNC.  They should be able to help you.  Here's their website:

http://www.ncnc.org

Also, you might want to attend any upcoming dog shows, that's a good way to talk to breeders and get some up close exposure to the dogs.  Good luck!!!  ;D
My Newfoundland Lives My Life As Passionately As I Live His.

Offline sarnewfie

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • HarborWinds Newfoundlands and Stain Glass
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2005, 04:47:46 pm »
It is crucial that the dogs are cared for and properly socialized, i went to A site many times and really, why is it that those newfs have terrified looks, and you dont see all of them only the heads, and they are not relaxed, they are tense, maybe not socialized properly and lived in kennel runs their whole life only to pump out litter after litter?
i would be leary who you settle on, be very careful, make sure those pups are raised in that house till theyare ready to go at ten weeks, NOT seven or eight, BUT TEN Weeks!
good luck to you.
it is hard to make that decision when so many tempting choices are out there.
WOW they now have them photographed on carpet in the house! well that is different from a year ago! LOL
regardless of who it is from, make sure you ask lots of questions esp on how the pups are being socialized and raised, where are they housed, and what age do they let them go.
it is crucial you be educated the breed tendancies, they tell you this is not the breed for everyone, the grooming training and responsibility that goes into feeding and excersising and socializing etc... etc.. etc.... not just, SOLD to the highest bidder!
« Last Edit: December 26, 2005, 04:56:13 pm by sarnewfie »
Photography by Christine
http://harborwinds.fototime.com/PHOTOS FOR ORDERS

HarborWinds Newfoundlands&Search and Rescue
http://www.geocities.com/Petsburgh/Haven/4505

Offline mrpuppy

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2005, 11:01:23 pm »
linda volk at beach-nut newfies.com
bear,14 month old newfie,140 pounds (estimated)

Offline Crazy4Suki

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2005, 05:44:34 am »
The Golden Gate Kennel Club Dog Show will be at the Cow Palace in SF on January 28 & 29.  The breeders (and dogs) will be on exhibit both days.  We always go see/meet breeders there when we're researching... and they usually have a lot of information to hand out to folks too.

Offline Senghe

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2005, 10:14:09 am »
It is crucial that the dogs are cared for and properly socialized, i went to A site many times and really, why is it that those newfs have terrified looks, and you dont see all of them only the heads, and they are not relaxed, they are tense.

I wholeheartedly agree. A website is supposed to be the showcase for your dogs, so what are some people hiding with pretty photos but little substance? I wouldn't even touch a breeder who's website doesn't show me several photos of each dog in different poses (it's harder to steal photos of somebody else's dog and pass them of as theirs that way), a 3 generation pedigree or at least the sire and dam, show wins and health test scores where applicable. I also like to see some history and info on the breeder and info on the breed's characteristic s, temeperament and health. I know many excellent breeders don't have websites, but some are just all fur coat and no knickers - and look how many puppy mills have websites that seduce the gullible! Yes, you can fake info on websites, but you can corroborate pedigrees and show wins online a lot of the time if you spend 5 minutes looking.

Similarly, a genuine breeder will have ALL their breeding stock on their website and will happily show you all their dogs, puppies, health test and KC paperwork and where the dogs are kept when you visit. I find it astounding how many people will buy a puppy with less thought and research than if they were buying an inanimate object like a refrigerator or car.