Author Topic: i can't paint the whole picture here  (Read 7407 times)

nickerbokker

i can't paint the whole picture here
« on: May 08, 2005, 09:56:34 am »
because i have to take angus to the vet right away cuz shocker, hes sick....then i have to go to work since im alreayd late so i can take angus to the vet....

ANYWHO....i took the dogs for a walk this morning, and the darn yorkie from nextdoor was out with his owner (WHO NEVER HAS HIM ON A LEASH), AND HE CAME AFTER MY DOGS.....THATS RIGHT, A 2 LB DOG FLEW AFTER MY DOGS BARKING AND GROWLING AND TRYING TO EAT THEM...AND IN TURN, WHAT DO MY BIG MEAN SCARY HUGE DOGS DO?  OH THEY RUN!  THEY SPIN MOM AROUND AND WE ALL TOOK OFF RUNNING AS FAST AS WE COULD FROM THE DAMN RAT. 

ARE YOU KIDDING ME?  THEY ARE SERIOUSLY SCARED OF THAT DOG...ALWAYS HAVE BEEN, BUT TODAY MOM ABOUT KILLED HERSELF TRYING TO GET AWAY FROM HIM!

my friggin dogs crack me up.  all they have to do is step on him and he would ge gone, but no...we just run like little sissys.  lol.  so much for big scary male dogs hey?

HAPPY MOTHERS DAY!

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
Re: i can't paint the whole picture here
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2005, 10:32:42 am »
Nicki,
We have the same problem with my bro-in-laws 4 lb. Yorkie. I think that Bear is just afraid that he'll hurt it because it is soo tiny and doesn't bark like a dog (its more of a bird chirp) and just jumps everywhere. He will kinda chase him but hte minute Trigger goes after him Bear turns and runs. We had the same experience with a baby Newf last weekend though. I think he may be afraid of hurting them....then again he LOVES to chase & play with tiny dogs at the dog park- ie. Datchsunds, Malteses, Poodles, etc. Maybe our dogs are just wierdos!

Have a great Mother's Day!
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline Jaimie

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2005, 10:39:58 am »
I think that secretly our big bad mean dogs..NOT...  are trying to prove a point to the people who think just beacuse they are big they have to be mean.... sooo not true.  To be completely honest I am way more weary around a little dog then a big one and I believe that most vets will tell you that they get bitten more often by smaller dogs.

nickerbokker

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2005, 11:50:43 am »
I AM TERRIFIED OF LITTLE DOGS!  THEY FRIGGIN SCARE THE HECK OUT OF ME!  I WILL NEVER HAVE A SMALL DOG. 

little dogs and cats are animals i cannot handle!  they are mean and scary and attack me and i am slow and cannot get away, lol, i have really slow reflexes, and they know it!  my sisters cats stalk me, bat me, and run and i am left there shaking and terrified while they start it again.  and its not cuz they like me, they hate me!  and i hate them LOL

anyway....TOTA LLY LATE FOR WORK!  but angus is okay, just has some allergies!  super!

lata yall!

Offline Sullivan

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2005, 03:11:52 pm »
Seamus is kind of the opposite, he hates big dogs, but loves little ones.  At the dog park people are always freaking out b/c he trys to play with their chihuahuas or their puppies.  I try to explain the little dogs would do more harm than Seamus.  He seems to have no concept of his size.  It is one of my favorite things about him.

Offline Saljen

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Rosie with icy whiskers
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2005, 03:23:38 am »
Little dogs seem to be meaner too. Its like they're over-compensating or something. I've been around a lot of dogs and seen a lot of people bit for different reasons, usually having to do with playing too rough, getting in the way of dogs fighting, accidently startling a dog, things that don't have to do with exact aggression towards the person. The ONLY time I saw clear evidence of that is when my little brother was just 5, we were standing outside the neighbor's house talking to her, and suddenly her little miniature poodle came FLYING out of the house, went straight for my little bro and attacked him! And bit him HARD on the leg! The poor kid was terrified of dogs for the longest time. We got him over it by getting a new puppy that was "his" - worked like a charm!

My big dog Rosie seems to have a problem with little dogs too. Not scared of them, just doesn't seem to like them. We are currently sharing our home with a Westie Terrier that we have to keep an eye on Rosie with because she sometimes acts aggressive with him in a way she doesn't with larger dogs. I think that with terriers and poodles in particular, they don't tend to act much like larger, more pack oriented dogs do. They stare and don't avert their eyes, they don't use as clear body language. Perhaps its because they've been bred so much for other characteristic s its put them kind of far away from their basic instincts. The Westie doesn't even obey pack order as clearly as the other dogs do, with the other dogs and with the humans. Sometimes I think Rosie's aggresiveness is because she it trying to remind the Westie of his place. Other than that, Rosie doesn't even really interact much with the Westie. She kind of acts like she doesn't even think he's a dog at all! Maybe there's a little something to that - because of their different behavior, they might be seen as a bit foreign, so maybe that has something to do with your dogs' fear of the Yorkie. Dunno, just a thot...