Author Topic: Seizures  (Read 6851 times)

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
Re: Seizures
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2005, 08:26:34 pm »
Cindy is absolutely right....and we share the neurologist!  It is worth it to try to find a vet. neurologist so you can control the seizures right from the start.  As he explained to me:  It is as if you have come upon a virgin field.  The first time you walk through it, it is very difficult, but each subsequent time is easier and easier.  That's how it is with the dog who cluster seizures....th e more he seizes, the more he/she is going to seize.  That's why it is so vitally important to get control as early as you can!

I took Cowboy off all grain products and I cook only meat and veg for him.  For months, he's had no treats with grain, or even a sample of kibble.  There is some thought that an allergy or even sensitivity to grains and add to seizures so we are following that protocol.  The neurologist said that it may just be coincidence, but I'm not taking any chances that we are going to go back to seizure-land.  As you have now experienced, seizures change your life!  You really can't comfortably leave a dog alone for any period of time...especia lly a clusterer.  That track can just get deeper and deeper and at some point there is substantial brain damage.  Be aggressive in getting treatment.  There are great drugs that can control it and you just have to keep going and experimenting.  Cowboy is on pheno (but finally getting off!!!), potassium bromide and gabapentin.  canadapharmacy .com is a great resource for expensive drugs like gabapentin.... about a third of the cost of drugs here in the US....it's just a long turn-around to get prescriptions filled.

I'm sure you feel overwhelmed with all the info. you've received today...we've all thrown a ton of facts out there..but please know that it's only because we all care so much and we've been there.  It's awful, but it is controllable!!!  I promise!!!

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2005, 08:36:18 pm »
Here's the website of the University study
http://www.canine-epilepsy.net/

There is a ton of info. on epilepsy: diagnosis, meds etc.
and it's University of Missouri, University of Minnesota, and Ohio State along with Animal Trust in England that are doing the study collectively.  There is hope!

Offline Carolyn

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
Re: Seizures-update
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2005, 10:18:31 pm »
Hi everone. Just finally getting a chance to sit in front of the computer. My heads still spinning. No seizures since 3pm, November 29th. I guess there were a total of 6. Shes on phenobarb & potassium brom. We are taking 1 day at a time right now. Everyone has been so supportive. I cant say thank you enough. I am totally wiped out right now. So far so good. Now all we need here is a good nights sleep!
Thanks for being here!!
Carolyn
Carolyn

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2005, 10:55:20 pm »
Sounds like you are doing better!  Great!  Hopefully the meds will do the trick.  Don't be concerned if it takes some time getting them right.  Tweaking is normal. 

Sleep well and hopefully Kiya will behave and sleep well and peacefully too!

Offline The Brindle Pack

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2005, 01:41:18 pm »
Hi Carolyn - Just thought I would check and see how Kiya is doing.  Please keep us posted.

Cindy

Offline Carolyn

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2005, 02:19:54 pm »
Hi everyone. Were hanging in there. Still don't like the meds they make her dopy. Spoke to the vet again on saturday about it & he said better to have her dopy than have more siesures. ABSOLUTLEY. Too early to do any testing to reduce the meds. Shes playing, appitiete is incredible. So far so good!
Thanks for asking.
Carolyn
Carolyn

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2005, 03:05:14 pm »
GREAT news!!!  Kiya is SUCH a good girl ;D!  It does take quiet a while to get used to the meds...and pheno is probably the agent.  Once she's stabilized and not seizing, pheno is the one they generally reduce so the quality of life is better.  Did they do a bromide loading?  Cowboy literally slept for three days straight....di dn't MOVE.  I had to give him ice chips to keep him hydrated!!!  Potty time was a nightmare!  But  we did get through it!!

Offline The Brindle Pack

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2005, 05:51:48 pm »
Glad to hear Kiya is doing well.  As for being dopey that does get better.   We use to call Tucker "mopey dopey dog".   Now that we are reducing the PB Tucker has loads of energy.

As for that incredible appetite that is also normal.  The most common side effects with both the PB and KBr are sedation, ataxia, and the 3 -P's: polydipsia (excessive thirst), polyphagia (excessive hunger) & polyuria (excessive urination).

Do keep us posted.

Hugs,
Cindy

Don't hesitate to call if you need anything.