Author Topic: I cant go on vacation  (Read 4145 times)

Offline Carolyn

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
I cant go on vacation
« on: December 05, 2005, 05:52:48 pm »
Hubby just doesnt get it. After all that has happened between Chazzy's pinched nerve & Kiya's seizures, I feel that going on a ski trip New Years Eve (4 nights) is out of the question, its less than a month away. Granted I have SEVERE separation issues from my animals but under these circumstances its justified. Last night I said we could go mid January, its cheaper anyway. Of course he said he found a (3) night package deal for new years eve the same price as mid jan. Well my mistake was to say ok I'll go for 3 nights but not 4. That was it bla, bla bla on how I always want to cut the trip short & how his life doesnt revolve around the dogs. I know its me, Im rediculous. His sister will take care of everyone & I have a friend who can check on them. If it were up to me I probably would never go away. I don't know how to break myself from this. Good thing I don't have human kids.
Carolyn
Carolyn

Offline GrumpyBunny

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Re: I cant go on vacation
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2005, 05:59:46 pm »
Carolyn, you are not ridiculous!  I feel the exact same way! 

In my previous marriage, my husband and I took ONE vacation that didn't involve taking Cabo with us. 

Scott, my current fiance, and I have never taken a vacation together. 

I realize that I am a huge loser (you are not, you are actually going - you just don't want to!  ;D), but there you have it...   
*Founder of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club*

Offline Rachel

• BPO Guru
  • Sophie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2005, 06:15:05 pm »
Everyone needs a break expecially when it is quality alone or one on one time with your spouse.  I think that every relationship needs quality time together for the relationship to prosper. I say go and enjoy yourself!  Do not feel guilty for leaving the dogs expecially since it sounds like they will be in good hands.
Rachel and Sophie

My new venture...
www.seasidequi lts.etsy.com

My blog for Sophie, crafting, and life in general
www.seasidequi lts.com/blog

Offline The Brindle Pack

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2005, 06:32:51 pm »
Boy can I relate.  The last vacation Mack and I took alone and together was last December.  It was only two days after our return that Tucker had his first seizure (Christmas Morning).  Since, I have either gone alone or we have taken the pups.  Sometimes I feel so guilty...notic e I said “I” go alone. 

In January we purchased a travel trailer (The Dog House) and it is a great way to vacation; however, it would be nice if we could get away together without the pups….Mack is really missing cruising and isn’t willing to go alone.  At least I have my sister who is always up for another cruise. 

Cindy

This picture was taken in June when we did Yosemite and Sequoia.

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2005, 08:06:21 pm »
Awww...big dilema! I feel the same way though. Michael & I try not to take a vacation if it means we can't take Bear with us. Every once in a while though, we do need time alone where we can do things that don't require poop bags or extra water or drool rags.  ;) We miss Bear terribly and are so happy when we get home to him but sometimes alone time is necessary. Plus, leaving is always a great reason to splurge on new dog toys and treats! ;D
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2005, 08:23:37 pm »
I am sure lots of you are right, that it is important with alone time, BUT I am not sure I can remember when that happened here last lol.

When I actually had to go to the beach this past summer, friends had the other dogs, but Galahad who was very young, well I wanted him closer, but in-laws (#$@%@#^@^) have a no-dog condo haaaaa. So we brought him and borded him close, first bording place, that supposedly was super good, was horrible, I cried and took him away from there after about an hour, after finding anohter place. It was furtherer away, and I had to go visit him and bring him for walks and to the beach every day, so it wasnt really a no dog vacation I guess.

When we had Hercules and he was a puppy, I made the whole family hate me because I refused to go to my husbands grandfathers funeral in Florida. He was sooooo little (not the grandfather) so I didnt want to have him sit in a car for 10 hours, and I did NOT want to board him, or leave him with anyone else, so the rest of the family went and I stayed at home snuggling with Hercules. Mind you alfter that Chris's family kinda dont like me, ohhhh well, they didnt before either so that really doesnt matter lol.

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

GR8DAME

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2005, 09:20:14 pm »
If they were human kids you'd run to the slopes, nevermind the plane!
But seriously, you have had a really stressful time with your babies lately, and it sounds like hubby needs a break as well.
You aren't deserting them, you aren'r boarding them in an unfamilar kennel with strangers, you are leaving them with people you trust.
Leave pages of phone numbers and just in case instructions and bite the bullet.
Stella

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2005, 09:31:39 pm »
Got to agree with you Marit, and everybody else.  I just HATE leaving the pups, not because I don't trust anybody to take as good of care of them (okay, maybe that's just a bit true  ::) ::)) but because it's just not as much fun.  Darling Husband and I are trying to plan a trip to celebrate 30th anniversary in April and none of the ideas include the dogs.  I keep dragging my feet because it just makes me sad to leave them....mind you I felt this way about the kids when they were tiny as well.  Guess I am just  pathetic!!! ;)

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2005, 09:33:56 pm »
yup I felt like that when the kids were TINY too, now with teen hormones well hehe its another story

Marit

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2005, 09:48:07 pm »
Ain't that the truth! Once they get big and start to smell, it's time to step back.  They can't understand why I have pics up of the dogs and not them!!!  hehehehe!

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2005, 09:57:33 pm »
hahahaha  I know, here my kids get offended when I make the doggies christmas lists before I ask the two legged ones to give me theirs lol. I have no idea why, you know for a dead fact that those lists will come whether you want it or not. The dogs are just wagging their tails and look loving at you when you tell them to go get something, my twolegged ones never look loving at me when I ask them to go get something  :P

Marit

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2005, 10:01:43 pm »
"Oh, why can't a child be more like a dog???"  (hum to the tune of 'why can't a woman be more like a man' from "My Fair Lady") ;D

Offline Carolyn

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2005, 09:29:42 am »
Well I didn't bring up the topic last night. Im going to let him bring it up & I will shut my mouth 3 nights/4 nights whatever. I will swallow my pride & go how ever many nights he wants. I read a saying on the canine epilepsy site "Live with dogs not for dogs" maybe I'll get some strenght out of that phase (although I know differently).
Carolyn
Carolyn

Anakalia

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2005, 11:26:01 am »
I'm just like the rest of ya!  Hate leaving the boys to go on vaca.  Last year we went to Puerto Villarta Mexico for 7 days!  I was a wreck, seven days seemed like enternity to me!  So we left the boys with good friends of ours.  They have 5 kids so we thought they would keep the dogs busy. lol  I had written up 2 pages of "instructions" for each dog and I got made fun of, but whatever! lol  We got back and I was relieved to find out they were both wonderful, except Koby who decided to eat their meal one evening before they had put it in the oven!  45 frozen chicken nuggets and a bag of fries!  Other than that they were good.  As long as you know the pups will be in good caring hands I'm sure everything will be fine. ;D

Andi

Offline The Brindle Pack

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2005, 11:36:54 am »
I read a saying on the canine epilepsy site "Live with dogs not for dogs"

How did I miss that?  I guess you only hear (read) what you want.  I know it's GREAT advice and I would love to follow it; however, our real issue is not the epilepsy but finding someone willing to watch 3 dogs and 2 cats.  The fact that Tucker really only likes HIS people makes this especially difficult.

Cindy