Author Topic: Suggestions and advise would be appreciated...  (Read 5637 times)

GR8DAME

Suggestions and advise would be appreciated...
« on: December 06, 2005, 10:31:25 am »
Strider (Hound from h*ll, Devil's Spawn, Satan's Son) has developed a taste for collars. To date he has chewed Raven's web collar in half and destroyed two of Merlin's rolled leather collars. While the other dogs were wearing them! All that remained of Merlin's collars were the tags and buckles, the rest is MIA.
Not wearing collars is not a good idea in my area, because if by some chance the dogs get out without collars and proof of ownership they are considered dangerous strays and dispatched by the police to the nearest vet and euthenized. I can't take that chance.
Between collar one and two of Merlin's I drenched it in bitter apple, and apparently it reminds Strider of Catsup, because it is still gone. What remains is the stain, much like ring around the collar (that all you middle-aged housewives will recognise ::) ) that surrounds Merlin's neck.
Replacing these collars on a weekly basis is getting expensive, not to mention the problems that can occur if he is actually ingesting the remains, which I cannot find.
Any thoughts or advise would be greatly appreciated- help me out BPO gurus.
Stella

Offline my3dogs

• Leader of the Pack
  • Daisy - FEB 2006
    • View Profile
    • Blossoming Daisy
Re: Suggestions and advise would be appreciated...
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2005, 10:44:59 am »
That's a tough one since the collar is on the other dogs neck. 
Normally I would suggest hot sauce but not sure that's a good idea so close to the dogs skin on a continual basis.
Hmmm.......wha t about baby shampoo diluted with water?   
Or maybe squirting with a spray bottle whenever the chewing starts?

I hope you find a solution quickly.  Collars aren't cheap.

-Wendy
"As long as the world is turning and spinning, we're gonna be dizzy and we're gonna make mistakes." - Mel Brooks
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/164179

Anakalia

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2005, 10:50:37 am »
Hmmmm..... this is a tough one!  I'd say use a squirt bottle when the chewing starts, but then you'd probably end up squirting both dogs which isn't good for the dog that's not doing anything wrong.  Is there any way you can put the collars on them before going outside, but inside keep them off?  I'm no help, but maybe someone else will come along with a great idea.  :D

Andi

Offline Winslow 151

• Paw-meister
  • Winslow at 6 Months
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2005, 12:05:08 pm »
Hi,

What a bout a metal choker colar. If you don't attach a leash it is not going to choke the wearer, and the loops are perfect for attaching tags. I don't think he'll chew through the metal
Happy Tails to All
Winslow's Dad

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2005, 12:08:16 pm »
Hi,

What a bout a metal choker colar. If you don't attach a leash it is not going to choke the wearer, and the loops are perfect for attaching tags. I don't think he'll chew through the metal

That's actually wicked dangerous, especially when it's already been established that another dog chews on the collar already. 
BPO's Official Mistress of Mirth

Charter Member of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club

"And you will know us by the trail of skank."

Offline Rachel

• BPO Guru
  • Sophie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2005, 12:14:34 pm »
Hi,

I think thats a good idea. But i would be sure to always supervise them when they have it on just in case.   
Rachel and Sophie

My new venture...
www.seasidequi lts.etsy.com

My blog for Sophie, crafting, and life in general
www.seasidequi lts.com/blog

Offline BabsT

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2005, 12:28:20 pm »
www.blockydogs .com make incredible collars  but it seems like you are going to have to set the dog up....the moment you see him starting to chew on a collar big correction.  leash him and when he goes for a collar...corre ction....when he stops HUGE praise...
Zero 23mth  Central Asian Ovcharka
Anchara 16mth old Caucasian Ovcharka

Nicole

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2005, 12:33:37 pm »
I was going to suggest Lupine collars as well. They're very nice and they do replace them, even if chewed. Plus, they last FOREVER. Cabeza has had his for 5 years, and it looks brand new.

I think that Babs is right. Set the Collar-Muncher up. Its for everyone's own good.

But, since you are a middle-aged housewife just like me, why can't you just darn the collars everytime he chews them?  ;)

Offline clark

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2005, 12:33:56 pm »
I have a really scary story about metal choke collars.  When Buddy and Jake were puppies I had their choke collars on all the time.  One day they were wrestling and Jake got his front paw twisted in buddy's collar.  It was cutting off Buddy's air supply and he was starting to pass out.  I WAS FREAKING OUT!  while my husband ran downstairs to the garage to find something to try to cut the thing off, I stayed with the boys trying to keep them calm, but they were starting to freak out too.  All I could do was cry and pray!!  When my husband got back upstairs he just twisted Jake's paw a little and it loosened up and slipped out of the collar.  They were both o.k.  Our trainer said not only was it bad for Buddy, but Jake's leg could have been broken.  We were so fortunate it turned out o.k.  From that moment  on we only put those collars on when we go for walks.
"The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue."

Offline BabsT

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2005, 12:39:58 pm »
My dogs know when they are in trouble...the run for their crates as fast as they can.  all i have to do is change the way is use my eyes and i can move them without touching them LOL

I never leave collars on when they are unattended...b oth my dogs have lots of skin so i can easily grab zero's dewlap for a make shift collar

i know some people choose not to be really firm and use postive reinforcement always but with my breeds sometimes you really need to show them who is boss and once the respect is there, no more issues

if the dog knows you dont like it...the animal shouldnt do it

GR8DAME

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2005, 01:05:22 pm »
Thanks, everyone for all of the suggestions.
Babs, I have no problem being the bad guy and will set that little collar muncher up tonight. In fact, we may as well address the fishtank issue also, as that has been getting worse as well.
Nicole, I tried the darning thing--Looked at the collar and went "darn..DArn...D ARN!!!" and it didn't help at all. LOL
Jenn, According to the Lupine website there is a retail store in my area that stocks the collars and I will get a couple of them as well. Aside from the chewing situation it just sounds like a darn (hehehe) good deal.
Stella

Offline BabsT

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2005, 02:29:35 pm »
I just dont like coming across as harsh LOL... good luck with the training