Author Topic: Josh has hip dysplasia  (Read 5896 times)

Offline Jerry

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Josh has hip dysplasia
« on: December 06, 2005, 09:01:21 pm »
We just got back from the vet where Josh was x-rayed because I thought that when he walked, his gait was a bit strange.  He has dysplasia in both hips and his left front elbow.  We are a bit beside ourselves at the moment.

Has anyone here gone through this and what did you do about it?  Is there any truly effective treatment?  the vet has prescribed anti-inflamatories and mentioned the the vet college at the state university does hip replacements but had little more than that to offer. We have no intention of putting him down unless it ends up being the very last humane thing to do.

Josh can walk and hopefully will continue to be able to do so.  Anyone's experiences with this would be very helpful.

We love Josh and he loves us and we want to do whatever is possible for him.

Thanks

GR8DAME

Re: Josh has hip dysplasia
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2005, 09:34:52 pm »
Josh,
I haven't dealt with hip dysplagia in any severe form, although Strider has a mild case. I do know that there have been several threads on it here. Check on the forums page at the far right under medical conditions and such, and you should find some information there. If you run across a post that seems really hwlpful you can always PM the poster for more info. Sorry I can't be more help.
Stella
« Last Edit: December 06, 2005, 09:37:17 pm by GR8DAME »

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2005, 10:01:43 pm »
I am sorry to hear about Josh's hips.

The only real treatments for HD are surgery and prevention/maintenance. We chose not to do surgery for two main reasons. 1. zoey would have had to go through two surgeries (one per hip) each with a long painful 3 month recovery with a lot of confinement. we felt like this was too much to put her through. 2. It is extremely expensive and more than we can really afford anyway. We chose prevention/maintenance instead. There are many things that you can do to help the hips. Here are a few things you can do right now to try and help ease his pain:

1. Reduce his weight. The more weight on the hips, the more the pressure. So putting him on a diet to make him lean is one of the most important things you can do.
2. Do not allow him to jump. If you take him in the car, buy a ramp so that he can walk up.
3. Make sure that he has lots of good cushy beds to lay on. Hard floors are tough on sore hips.
4. Try a glucosamine/chondroitin/msm supplement. I find the liquid ones to be best. Many people swear by cosequine, but when I switched to it I could see the difference.
5. If you can afford it, check to see if anyone in your area offers theraputic dog massage or hydrotherapy.
6. Prescription anti-inflammatories or pain reducers can also help.

If you ever need to talk, you can pm me. I know how you feel it feels to deal with HD - I cried for an entire day when I learned my Zoey has hip dysplacia.
RIP former BPO

k2campbell

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2005, 10:31:29 pm »
I don't have any advice for you but wanted to say I'm so sorry to hear about Josh's hips.  I'm sure (with loving owners like you) you will find a way for him to live both happily and comfortably.

I wish you guys the best with him, sorry to hear the bad news (but) try to think positive - you'll find a way to help him out I'm sure!

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2005, 11:00:46 am »
I'm so sorry about Josh.  My first Newf had a severe case (no hip socket at all on one side) and we did do a total hip replacement on one side.  A vet school is probably your best bet...since they do lots that kind of surgery.  It's a tricky procedure and there is a lot of pain involved, but my boy Otis bounced back after the recovery period (about 6 weeks) and did great!

Offline Good Hope

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2005, 11:11:30 am »
Our American Eskimo rescue, Gucci, has HD. The anti infammatries work well. They unfortunately are needed more often these days because Sapphire plays too hard. (But I'll be hopefully solving that problem soon.) We set money aside in our savings account for surgery, but are waiting until we see the meds are no longer as effective. She has good days and bad days. Usually cold wet weather and too much rough housing with Sapphire are the major culprits. Hope that helps.

Deena
« Last Edit: December 07, 2005, 11:25:04 am by Good Hope »

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2005, 11:16:13 am »
I'm sorry to hear about Josh. I hope that with meds and love you can minimize his pain.
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
    • HaveParrotWillTravel.com
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2005, 11:25:02 am »
There is a lot of good information on things you can do to help make your dog more pain-free and live a more normal life. 

Two lists that I am on that has a LOT of information on them:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/orthodogs/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ConservativeManagement/

Also check into Adequan, there's a lot of dogs that wouldn't be alive today if it wasn't for that miracle drug.  I like Jacksmom's suggestion and have read a lot of positive things about the gold beads therapy.

Newf.net in the Maladies/Disease section has a lot of good information also, with specific exercises, supliments, etc that can help. 

A total hip replacement is a salvage operation and can be done at any time, so there is no rush, try some alternative (less-invasive) things to try and help him. 
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Anakalia

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2005, 12:15:36 pm »
It sounds like everyone's giving you GREAT suggestions!!  I have heard (through the grapevine) that Koby's parents might have had bad hips, so I'm constantly keeping an eye on him.  He started slowing down a bit so I started giving him an herbal supplement which has Glucosamine HCI, Ginger Root Extract, Bromelain, and Green Tea Extract.  Within a week he was back to his normal psycho self.  I would love to share the information I have on Hip Dysplasia and Arthritis and using natural herbal supplements, just send me a PM and I'll get you all the info I have!   ;D

Andi

Offline Jerry

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2005, 02:09:38 pm »
Just to update:  The vet put Josh on Rimadyl but only for 10 days... too risky to use it longer.  After that he will get 2 entropic coated aspirin per day.  We are feeding him Eukanuba lamb and rice large breed kibble which contains chondroitin and glucosamine.  In the meantime we are researching other options but need to sort through the claims carefully.

Our plan is to make him as comfortable and happy as possible for as long as possible.  If he ends up in excessive pain we will look into hip replacement at the Iowa State U vet college... they do a lot of them.  This, of course will depend on his age at the time.

We are also looking to get him (and us) a companion dog probably in the spring..  In fact his brother (who is not dysplasic--- go figure) may become available.

I greatly appreciate all the words of encouragement and the very helpful advice.  We are going to do whatever we can to help Josh.  One way or other we will have a happy Josh..