Author Topic: Do any of your dogs do this???  (Read 19199 times)

Offline coonie1970

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
Do any of your dogs do this???
« on: May 09, 2005, 06:52:28 pm »
Tonight on my way out I forgot a casserole on the stove. BIG MISTAKE!! I was in such a hurry I didnt get a chance to clean up after supper. I came home and ..... casserole, 4 muffins. and 1/2 loaf of bread GONE. No evidence other than and empty bowl and a very guilty look. I didnt even have to say a word I just picked the bowl up and looked at Judge. He walked to his mat and layed down. Thats were we send him when he is bad. SMART??? Too smart I think. He gave me those EYES and, well you know.
HOW DOES HE GET UP ON THE STOVE? :o I dont think I want to know. No one will ever come eat here again. He's big but...??.He's gonna have a big buttt if he keeps that up. LOL
Now thats what I call a brat. HEHEHE
Karen
Karen :) Image hosting by Photobucket

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
Re: Do any of your dogs do this???
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2005, 08:41:41 pm »
Big botty boy- that's for sure what he'll be.  :D We've never had any food stolen but whenever something has been done, Bear gives himself away everytime. You just walk in and he's got his head down with nose almost touching the floor saying "I'm so sorry. I did it. Please forgive me". Sometimes we've had to search for the evidence because it doesn't always stick right out.
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline Lucy

• Gnawer
  • No sensible shoes
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2005, 08:58:02 pm »
Ohhh myyyy! Such de ja vu:)
Max, my Pyr/Laab, just started doing this....when I bake fresh bread. I've never had this problem before, and he's never been allowed to do that, but all of a sudden, it's like the bread is worth whatever the chastising will bring! I mean one day my friend came over, and I had just baked bread, so offered her some, and she was at the table, just about to eat, when Max literally sailed over the table, grabbed the bread, and had the entire fat slice down before he hit the floor, and he IMMEDIATELY went under the table, which is where he goes when he knows he's in trouble...I have changed the cooling area for the bread now, (to the top of the fridge....), because he has (in seconds) disposed of the ENTIRE loaf, before we even get a chance to cut it! He actually learned the jumping/standing at the counter while we had a basset hound stay with us for a while...after the basset left, Max knew how to drink from the toilet, stand at the counter, and several other irritating things that we worked hard to make NEVER happen, from pup hood...grrrr., but he has NEVER stolen food off of the counter or out of HANDS until recently...sim ply shocking, but funny too.:) It really seems to be the bread, but I notice that the more attention Ella (our Pyre) gets, the more he acts like a clinically attention starved sibling...whic h he's not. He gets more attention then Ella by a loooong shot, but the jealousy (on his side) is astounding. It sounds like you just have a character, full of personality... better then blahhh, right:)?
from under the fur....

Offline karen8

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2005, 11:54:38 pm »
My malamute, Angel, will steal anything on the counter that is not nailed down if it has food on it.  I now keep all bread in the cupboard because she will steal the whole loaf.  It's a bit scary since she got sooooo sick from eating human food.  We had to carry her to the car because she couldn't walk (that was interesting!).  I find bowls and empty cans up in the dog pen.  I think she takes them up there to eat at her leisure.  It does help me to get the dishes done every night, tho.  No messes left for her to get into....unless I forget the bread again!

Karen R.

Offline Saljen

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Rosie with icy whiskers
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2005, 12:22:33 am »
My Lab mix Rosie used to get up on the counter with her front paws and steal anything she could reach when she was younger but we pretty much broke her of it. She still goes for it tho occasionally for old times sake. Just the other night we looked over and she was snout deep in a tub of butter, eating away!

Now, its the INEDIBLE things that we've had the harder time keeping  her from eating! Plastic, leather, cotton, rubber, wood - she even got into some xmas decorations once and chomped on tree lights and some of those ball decorations before we could stop her! Its bizarre the things I have found half eaten in her 'lair' in the backyard. Sometimes things I didn't even know we had! LOL But we've finally found something that is helping. If we catch her in the act, take it away and say NO in a deep, disappointed sounding voice. Then, bring her one of her toys, say CHEW TOY all happy and when she starts chewing it, praise and praise her!

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2005, 12:25:54 am »
The old bait & switch..lol... That's just what Samson's behaiviorilist said to do!...Works too huh? ;)

Offline Saljen

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Rosie with icy whiskers
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2005, 12:29:53 am »
It really is so far! *knock on wood*

Offline coonie1970

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2005, 06:12:16 am »
LOL We have pretty much gotten him trained to not take food from the kids hands when he isnt offered it. He still likes to hang around near my 2 year old JUST IN CASE and she likes to give him a taste of whatever she is eating. He wont take it right out of there hands though.
When he was about 8 or 9 months he ate a whole POGO (weiner with stick and batter). When I caught him with it in his mouth I YELLED NO JUDGE!! Well, he swallowed the WHOLE THING one big gulp and it was gone stick and all. I was so scared that it would hurt him but, a week later I fund the stick. You know were!!! LOL
Its so nice to here all your stores. They are so funny. LOL
Karen

GR8DAME

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2005, 07:31:31 am »
Merlin has counter surfing/scarfing down to a fine art. I caught him standing on the counter with his front feet on the top of the fridge a week or so ago, after a loaf of bread. To date he has eaten four dozen peanut butter and sugar cookies (he opened the tuperware container), half a pizza off of the stove while we were eating it at the kitchen table, an entire jar of peanut butter out of the pantry when my daughter left the door open-how he managed to get the screwtop off is still a great mystery-, and numerous loaves of bread, muffins and biscuits(we assume to go with the peanut butter-with that much it still could be digesting. It is hard for the big guys, because everything is eye level, and oohhh, so tempting. We never had that problem with our dobies, only the danes. He will not snatch food out of anyone's hands, though, and when you do offer it to him, he has the softest mouth of any dog we've ever had. House rule is if it hits the floor, it belongs to the dogs, The pup's nickname is also Hoover. We have a time out blanket in our bedroom (ironically,just off the kitchen LOL) where he goes when he has sinned. Then he peeps around the door at yopu like some kind of mischeivios kid to see if it is safe to come out. If your gonna have a giant, you've got to have a sense of humor.
Stella

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2005, 08:34:07 am »
We had a dinner party for some of my husband's business associates out side.  My husband and I made a deal for one of us to stick close to the appetizer table at all times to protect it from wandering Newfies.  I took the women around the garden and as we coming back around the house I noticed that 1) my husband and buddies were no where to be seen and 2) the appetizer table was completely clean.....not a plate moved but nothing on it but the Greek olives...  And two disappearing Newfies with garlic breath!!

Dinner was served earlier than planned and my husband was the one on "time out"!!  He thought that they weren't paying attention to the food laid out and that they "weren't interested"!  Hmmm.  Guess they should have nominated for "best acting" Oscars!

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2005, 09:37:08 am »
Mine try it all the time.  Sometimes I never let them out of my sight.  They are still at that age where they are more like little kids that can't be trusted.  I've learned to push everything I don't want eaten into the middle of the counter and never within reach.  Lady is about 5 feet when stretched out and Grace is learning to reach onto counters. It's all fun to them...but it's annoying to us. 

Offline ARCH10

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2005, 09:39:43 am »
my springer spaniel cody will lay on back porch & when he here's the screen door open he will get off real fast or for him fast as now he is 10 years old. Then we will play around in back yard a little. & i will feed the birds & do a  few chores & he can tell when I am about to go In the house again 7 he will go & Lay on top of back porch so i can not open door untill I pet him & love him up a little     

Offline coonie1970

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2005, 12:32:51 pm »
Usually I make sure everything is put away. The bread goes on the fridge. Judge has had his share of margarine and bread too.I guess my casserole was filling though. His dog food bowl is still full. LOL
Karen

Offline Jaimie

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2005, 02:22:57 pm »
My new pooch Sasha is a die hard for cat food.  I keep the cat food on top of my dresser and I have caught her 3 times on the bed with front feet on the dresser eating it as fast as possible. Also one time I forgot the little cat treat dish( pounce) on the coffee table and she chewed right trough it and ate ALL of it( it was brand new).  My Dobe Ace has eaten a whole block of butter in the past, wrapper and all.

Offline Sullivan

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2005, 03:27:58 pm »
I'm scared.  Seamus has just now figured out how tall he is.  It is like it just came to him one day..."I can see and REACH anything that is on the counter".  He has only done it once or twice, but he is sure spending a lot of extra time in the kitchen lately.  Now I know what i have to look forward to. >:(