Author Topic: VERY SAD AND VERY UPSETTING I AM PISSED  (Read 17247 times)

Offline kildeskennel

• Paw-meister
  • Beautiful beauty
    • View Profile
    • Kildes Kennel
VERY SAD AND VERY UPSETTING I AM PISSED
« on: December 08, 2005, 04:11:00 am »
I do not want to repeat this so I am pasting the situation froma  private email I had with another BPO member.  I just cannot keep reliving this.

I am totally up for a visit, I don't have the time off that you do, but we can work something
 out!  We don't have new puppies yet, I expect Beauty to come into heat again in 3 months and at that time we will be expecting!....
Sad news also, I think I told you that my son lost his lab 2 years ago this time of year, we promised him a new dog after we sold all Beauties pups this last summer.  Brought a Cocker home, Kuvs did not like at all, so we rehomed him and I got Anthony a lab girl pup.  10 weeks old today...Yester day Steve (hubby) let her out to go potty with Aidan and Cali, she dissapeared!  Steve called me at work and I came home we searched and searched, talked to neighbors, took teh snowmobile out and it was fruitless...We had fresh snow so it was easy to track Aidan and Cali, however Shadow (lab) prints did not leave the yard.  You have ben here so know how big our yard is....There has been an Eagle hanging out last few days and Steve thinks it grabbed her....Her prints just dissapear....I am so upset, but worse was telling Anthony another oneof his dogs was gone...He was totally destroyed.I could not stop crying when he came home from school to train her some more and asked him to sit with me first.  He just looked at me and said " No mommy, not my dog , not again!"  He ran upstairs and I just cried, he came back down and laid against me and cried, I bawled like a baby...Steve feels so bad, he looked, she is gone.   
Today he stayed home from school, and Steve took him to a home that had 3/4 Chessies and 1/4 lab pups.  He picked a girl who is brown with black accents.  Nose, ears, chest and tail.  Anthony refused to pick a black girl because "I have bad luck with black dogs"  This girl is very pretty however I was at work when they went, and when I called to find the birth day so I know whento give shots, I find that she is BARELY 4 weeks old.  Go figure....She is beautiful, and full of spunk, no whining, no crying....I am still totally upset and want to case the woods and surrounding areas for Shadow.  I realize she never left the yard, we had fresh snow they were easy to track but I have to be sure....I CANNOT believe she is gone, I CANNOT believe an Eagle grabbed her, although they have grabbed our cats.  She was with the Kuv's!  Our neighbor told us her poodle was grabbed right in front of her never to be seen again..DA**!!!! I cannot tell you how horrid this is.....
On a different note, this week I am off fri, sat, sun.  Next week, I am off fri, sat sun.  Let me know what you want to do!  Shaan
ps.  I am going to copy and post this on big paws as I don't want to keep repeating the story of our missing pup.....Shana
----- Original Message -----
« Last Edit: December 08, 2005, 06:56:11 am by Jacksmom »
Happiness comes of the capacity to feel deeply, to enjoy simply, to think freely, to risk life, to be needed.
Storm Jameson

Offline my3dogs

• Leader of the Pack
  • Daisy - FEB 2006
    • View Profile
    • Blossoming Daisy
Re: VERY SAD AND VERY UPSETTING I AM PISSED
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2005, 05:12:01 am »
Oh no.  I'm so sorry for what you are going through.  Your poor son. 
"I have bad luck with black dogs."    That is heart wrenching.

I hope your son gets to keep his new pup for many many years of fun and friendship.

Sending warm thoughts your way.

-Wendy
"As long as the world is turning and spinning, we're gonna be dizzy and we're gonna make mistakes." - Mel Brooks
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/164179

Offline kildeskennel

• Paw-meister
  • Beautiful beauty
    • View Profile
    • Kildes Kennel
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2005, 05:19:52 am »
Thx...I am sorry if I am not "enthuastic" about the new girl.  I am so very Pissed is the right word.  I am sure she is going to be great, my son should never feel it is his bad luck to owna black dog, labs is his favorite, it is wrong and it totally makes me want to choke something.  I am waiting for teh sun to come up and as I took the day off of work I am going to look again and look in places I think my hun may have missed.  I have to be sure there is no trace of her before I can accept that she "just dissapeared"  Who knows I may feel crazy enough to search the neighbors property while they are at work!  We all have 80 120 acres!!!!!!!Sucha big area to search....I am sorry I better log off, I am much to negative to be talking right now.  I am sorry to vent on you all...
Happiness comes of the capacity to feel deeply, to enjoy simply, to think freely, to risk life, to be needed.
Storm Jameson

Offline my3dogs

• Leader of the Pack
  • Daisy - FEB 2006
    • View Profile
    • Blossoming Daisy
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2005, 05:28:53 am »
I'd want to do the same thing.  I'd want to search and be absolutely sure.

Vent!  That's why the board is so wonderful.   Everyone here understands.

-Wendy
"As long as the world is turning and spinning, we're gonna be dizzy and we're gonna make mistakes." - Mel Brooks
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/164179

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2005, 09:44:45 am »
I am so very sorry.  Maybe to day will bring you some good news.
Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2005, 12:33:51 pm »
Oh NO!!  That is terrible!!  I'm so sorry your son lost another dog.  I hope you can find some more traces of her.  I can only imagine what it must feel like to not know exactly what happened.

My heart goes out to you and your family, especially your son.

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2005, 12:34:12 pm »
I cannot imagine how awful that must feel. I am so sorry. If it was an eagle, there is just nothing you could have done. Please hang in there and if it's possible try to focus on the new arrival, maybe it was just meant to be for your son to have this new puppy. I can't think of anything to say that could make you feel better... I wish I could help somehow!!!  :'(
You and your son are in my thoughts.

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2005, 12:48:38 pm »
I can't believe an eagle would snatch something so large, but I'm a city girl go so I don't have much experience with that. I'm sure he would swoop down before a sleeping kuv could do anything about it. Poor baby. Hopefully, the eagle will have realized the pup wasn't something it wanted and will have left her somewhere for you to find. Anything's possible, right?

I feel so bad for your son. He sounds like a very responsible, caring little boy.
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Kiahpyr

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2005, 02:07:07 pm »
I am so sorry for your loss. My thoughts are you with and your son. I feel so bad for him too. That's just awful. Hopefully you will find something today to give you peace.

Offline Binky

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2005, 02:10:24 pm »
I am so so sorry for you and your son.  Now I am crying too!  I hope you will find out what happened- nothing is worse than not knowing.  My thoughts are with you.
Binky-Great Pyrenees
Sophie-Leonberger
McDougal-Papillon
Chicklet-Papillon
Sigfried-Cat  RIP Sigs
Spooky-Cat
Jasper-Nigerian Dwarf goat
Ferdinand-Nigerian Dwarf goat

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2005, 03:07:54 pm »
I am sorry for your loss  :'(
RIP former BPO

Offline NoDogNow

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2005, 03:09:37 pm »
I can't believe an eagle would snatch something so large

Jeanne, eagles are seriously BIG birds.  Eagles commonly prey on LAMBS, not just newborns, but up to about 4 months old, and they've been known to grab newborn calves.  Any dog under 30-40 pounds is at risk, especially a puppy who doesn't have any fighting reactions yet.  Their talons are wicked sharp and very strong.

You should take another look around, but if you don't find any sign of him, don't harbor false hope--if an eagle grabbed your Shadow, you aren't going to find your baby.  Those talons would have literally crushed the life out of her before she even realized she was off the ground.  Eagles are apex predators--fast and strong.  Their prey doesn't suffer.  I know that's not a lot of comfort, but at least Shadow won't be out in the cold hurt and scared and not able to get home. 

Without having had this happen before though, there's just no way that ANYONE could have foreseen this.  Neither you or your husband or your Kuvs or anyone is to blame, not even the eagle, really.  It's winter, it's cold, and most of its prey is underground now.  It was hungry.  Nature can really suck, and it's always a terrible, scarring lesson to have to learn.

I'm just heartbroken for Anthony.  I had a puppy--his name was Blaze--disappear in the night right out of my yard when I was 10, and I remember being helpless and out of control.  Even Nickie couldnt' console me for a long time.  I cried, I was mad at everyone, I raged around and hit things--it devastated me.  I can't imagine how it must feel not to be able to fix that for your boy.  I'm so, so sorry.  :'(

But at least now you know that someone should be out side with your new baby until she's a good bit bigger, because you know that this eagle WILL take a pup.  Eagles tend to stay away from us, so just a person's presences should provide her some measure of security.  But if you're going to need to leave her out with just her bigger brothers sometimes, I would recommend rigging her some kind of temporary run screened with some chicken wire, just to be on the safe side. 

Hug your boy as much as he'll let you.   :'(

Sheryl, Dogless and sad

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2005, 03:33:56 pm »
No Dog Now, I know that you're trying to be helpful, but I really wish you would read your post over again and ask yourself if it would help someone or make them feel worse and edit accordingly.
BPO's Official Mistress of Mirth

Charter Member of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club

"And you will know us by the trail of skank."

Offline Fumble

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2005, 03:58:03 pm »
oh my gosh! i am sooo sorry!!  i can't believe that happened!!  not with a puppy!  :o  last year, i was walking to our dining hall at college and i saw a hawk with a squirrel in it's claws, and i started to cry and scare the hawk away, but then it flew off.... even though i witnessed it, i still can't believe it!  i just can't even imagine how you and your family are feeling right now! fumble and my heart go out to you!!  :'(
"My newfoundlands live my life as passionately as i live theirs"
"I slip the hater of what i've become.  they slip the halter of what they've been, and we live together, passionately, changed"
-Both from "in the company of newfies"

WE REPRESENT THE LOLLIPOP GUILD!!!

Offline kildeskennel

• Paw-meister
  • Beautiful beauty
    • View Profile
    • Kildes Kennel
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2005, 06:14:23 pm »
Thank you everyone for the support, there is still no sign of her.  Anthony is feeling a little better today, he just got home from school and is taking Ginger (new baby literally) out side to potty.  She is really quite something, I think we will have our hands full with this one.  Very spunky.  Hopefully th e lab in her will tame down the Chesapeake in her.  I am sure it will all work out fine.  Thanks for commenting on nodog's post Anky.  It did not bother me really.  I grew up and as an adult live in an area where wild animals are prevelant, bobcat, timber wolves etc.. I am quite familiar with Eagles and the nature of the situation if indeed that was what occured.  We watched one last year carry a big buck across the road to a river and drop it and feed, it was amazing.  I could not believe it.  ANywaqy I don't know what else could have happened save for the Eagle scenario.  Unfortunately oneis not always able to be present when the dogs are outdoors, When Beauty had her pups all 13 were in the kennel with mom and dad, I worried all the time about the weasel, bigger predators, and especially the Eagles no problems then, but like nodog pointed out it is winter.  Mabye that post would upset someone else, but honestly I am ok with it, like I said I am very well learned on the wild side of life so to speak.  Again thanks for the positive thoughts.  I will be posting a few pic's of Ginger shortly.  Might as well just start getting used to this right?   ???  I think she should be named wild thing.  Personality is quite , well WILD.  Not sure if I mentioned in my first post that when Steve took Anthony to look at the pups I was at work, and they brought her to see me after.  All my patients loved it, she looked to be about 6 weeks old but when I asked when she was born I found out she was only just 4 weeks old.  So we litetrally have a baby here... :-\  Steve did not even think about the dates nor did he put it together that she was this young.  One would never know it however by the way she acts....
Storm Jameson