Author Topic: How FAst is Fast growth?  (Read 3069 times)

Offline IZ

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
How FAst is Fast growth?
« on: December 08, 2005, 07:43:37 am »
It's the new member again, IZ, and thanks to all for the suggestions so far. This forum is very helpful. I have read from several of you to not let them grow too fast. What is too fast? We have had IZ now for 12 days. He has gained 7.5 pounds since we brought him home. That seems A LOT to us, but this is our first Newf and we don't really know if this is common or not. He is 11 weeks old (12 on Monday). We've been feeding Pro-Plan LArge Breed puppy - but will start our home-cooked diet this weekend. Thoughts?
Jennifer - IZ's Mom

"I like my daddy better".  -Iz

Offline Fumble

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Re: How FAst is Fast growth?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2005, 08:30:19 am »
i'm right there with ya on the newbie newf owner!  fumble is my first newfie, and i feel like a nervous mother with him... i'm always posting on here about something or calling the breederS!  You're gonna do great!!  and IZ is sooooooo cute!!! 
with the weight.. i just know that they gain fast when their puppies, and then slow down a little bit... fumble has slowed since we took him off the puppy food, but he's still growing like a weed!  ::)
"My newfoundlands live my life as passionately as i live theirs"
"I slip the hater of what i've become.  they slip the halter of what they've been, and we live together, passionately, changed"
-Both from "in the company of newfies"

WE REPRESENT THE LOLLIPOP GUILD!!!

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2005, 12:37:52 pm »
Hey there, I don't have a newf but I have done a lot of research on puppy growth and I came across this website which might be helpful. Good luck with your beautiful new pup!!!

http://www.kaylar.com/newf_information.html

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2005, 02:50:41 pm »
What I my vet told me when zoey was that age is that 3lbs a week is the goal for a big pawed puppy
RIP former BPO

Offline Boyle

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2005, 05:25:29 pm »
What an adorable puppy!  I have a 9 month OEM, Nola, and the growth rate for him close to 5 lbs a week.  At the suggestions of many giant breed owners, we switched him to adult food with 20-25% protein level right away.  Enjoy the puppy breath!  They grow up so quickly.  Take lots and lots of pictures.

Offline IZ

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2005, 07:46:19 am »
Thank you - and thanks to all for the advice. I feel better about my little "monster", I'm posting more pictures to the photo section - have to show off my boy :)
Jennifer - IZ's Mom

"I like my daddy better".  -Iz