Author Topic: Question: Why do dogs bow their heads?  (Read 7887 times)

Anakalia

Question: Why do dogs bow their heads?
« on: December 08, 2005, 03:21:23 pm »
I hope I spelled bow right, but let me give you an example of what's been happening here:  Lately (the past week) everytime I walk past the dogs they bow their heads down while looking at me.  It's super wierd.  Doesn't matter if they're standing up or laying down, if I walk up close to them or past them they'll bow their heads.  I don't beat my dogs, nor have I changed their training or daily routines.  I'm so confused as to why they're doing this.  It almost looks like they are scared of me or bowing to my Queenliness but who knows. hehehe  Does anyone have a clue as to why they're doing this?

Andi

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
Re: Question: Why do dogs bow their heads?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2005, 03:23:09 pm »
I'm guessing it's a submissive move.  You are alpha, and they don't challenge you, so they bow their heads as not to challenge you or look you straight in the eye.

Offline Maggie's Mom

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Maggie, Simon and Oscar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2005, 03:45:22 pm »
I have to agree with the others, it's a submissive move on their part.  I don't know why they would suddenly do that though, especially if nothing has changed.  Weird. 
Stacy, Wes, and Maggie (Great Dane)

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2005, 03:47:29 pm »
Honey do you smell?
BPO's Official Mistress of Mirth

Charter Member of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club

"And you will know us by the trail of skank."

Anakalia

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2005, 03:51:17 pm »
Yeah I really don't know it's confusing the heck out of me.  I was thinking it was a submissive thing, but yet why are they doing it all of a sudden?  AND they both bow their heads at the same time even!  Super strange.  The only thing I can think of is we have banned them from being on our bed or the furniture, Koby was trying to call the shots for awhile.  But we've had that rule for awhile now so I really don't know what to think.  Thanks for your help though!! ;D

Andi

Offline 2dobies

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2005, 03:54:41 pm »
Maybe they are saying..."we are not worthy, we are not worthy".... ;D :D ;D
DOGS LAUGH, BUT THEY LAUGH WITH THEIR TAILS.

Anakalia

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2005, 04:30:08 pm »
Maybe they are saying..."we are not worthy, we are not worthy".... ;D :D ;D

HAHAHAHHAAA!!  That's what it looks like they're doing!!  That combined with guilt like they did something wrong, but I haven't found anything destroyed all week!   ;D

Andi

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2005, 05:03:07 pm »
Maybe it's just when you wear your crown??   ;D  Maybe if the crown  stays in the safe during the day, they will be more relaxed...Sorr y...it just strikes me as funny, madam!!

As long as they aren't shaking or quivering, I wouldn't think it would mean too much.

Offline Newf Lover

• BPO Fanatic
  • Cool dog + Cold beer = Chilled Out
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ryanbrumley.com
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2005, 05:30:53 pm »
Submission.  It's gotta be that, kind of like cats that cringe when you reach out to pet their head, even if they never have been hit.  Also, from what I've heard and read, direct eye contact between dogs is a sign of aggression.  That's why you don't really see them looking at each other directly in the eyes.  For example, when two dogs who don't know each other interact, they do the butt sniffing, and then they do that, "I'm looking at you through the corner of my eye" stance, tails at alert.  Usually after this, one of them bolts, or they might snap at each other.  Hopefully that doesn't happen.  We get down on the floor with Drake and kiss his snout and hug his big head, he always grunts and avoids eye contact as much as possible.  He'll dart his eyes back and forth at us, but you can tell he doesn't like that much.  He's such a tolerant dog, must be horrible getting kissed all the time.....
My Newfoundland Lives My Life As Passionately As I Live His.

Offline GrumpyBunny

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2005, 06:05:09 pm »
Andi, do you watch "The Office"?  Your phrasing made me think of Dwight on that show....    *raises one finger*  "Question.  Why do dogs bow their heads?"   :D

Do your dogs normally meet your eyes?  Cabo would NEVER look directly into my eyes...  Ranger does though - that was actually something we really worked on with him, at the advice of our behaviorist, in order to help decrease his reactiveness to other dogs.  He has learned to focus on, and watch, only me.   We actually communicate pretty well with each other using our eyes now. 

I think it is a combo of submission/queenliness.  Either that or they are praying. 
« Last Edit: December 08, 2005, 06:23:22 pm by grumpybunny »
*Founder of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club*

Offline BabsT

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2005, 06:17:46 pm »
OH THE OFFICE!  That is my favorite show and it so very true about life in a office LOL

The dogs are letting you know that you are in charge.  You just mentioned that you told them no sofa, beds etc...they may have felt that they were alpha along with you but now you rule the roost and they have accepted that
Zero 23mth  Central Asian Ovcharka
Anchara 16mth old Caucasian Ovcharka

Offline GrumpyBunny

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2005, 06:24:31 pm »
OH THE OFFICE!  That is my favorite show and it so very true about life in a office LOL
Me too!  We may have to start a seperate thread just for Office fans!
*Founder of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club*

Offline clark

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2005, 06:35:02 pm »
If you start a new "Office" thread, count me in - I LOVE THAT SHOW - it kills me!  Marsi, I noticed an addition to your avatar - please tell me it's the mouse that ran over my feet in the kitchen yesterday - eeekkk!
"The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue."