Author Topic: 12 week Saint always hungry, but poops a tonne!  (Read 10018 times)

Yaz

12 week Saint always hungry, but poops a tonne!
« on: May 09, 2005, 08:53:49 pm »
Thought I'd post this one to all large breed owners out there. Our 12 week old Saint has been having soft stools since we got him at 8 weeks of age. We now know he has a sensitive stomach and after trying a couple of foods and giving Pepto Bismal, have got him on a food that gives him formed stools (Solid Gold's Wolfcub Bison and Salmon large breed puppy food). The problem is that he is constantly hungry and slightly underweight for his age (at 12 weeks, he shoud weigh 34 pounds and he weighs 33.2 pounds). But the amount of poop that comes out of our boy is not to be believed - probably 6 - 8 large poops a day. He's eating six cups of food, and the Solid Gold puppy is on the high end for protein (26%) so I don't want to give more than the recommended. My question is, is this a food issue or is this more of a Guinness's stomach issue? Meaning, should we keep searching for a food that fills him up a bit better and gives smaller poops? All comments are appreciated.

Thanks;

yaz

Offline Lucy

• Gnawer
  • No sensible shoes
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
Re: 12 week Saint always hungry, but poops a tonne!
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2005, 09:06:57 pm »
Looooove the name~
Have you had him checked for intestinal house guests?(worms)...
My Pyre Ella had super sensitive tums when I brought her home, and probably the new home at the time, new food, etc...once I found a sensitive tummy formula, and added some basic bland rice....well let me just say that once a week, between the two dogs, I trade my very cute and ridiculously expensive shoes, for rubber gardening clogs, a shovel, lots of plastic bags, and gloves....to spend about 45 minutes doing dog duty in the back yard..and that one week, fills 4-5 plastic grocery size bags...echhh. Welcome to giant dogville:0)
At least in Southern California, the sun bakes it faster, so the smell is slightly muffled by the time I get to it.....
from under the fur....

Yaz

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2005, 09:16:45 pm »
Yup - Guinness has been cleared for worms - we spent close to $300 his first two weeks getting fecal samples checked for all sorts of worms to see if that was the culprit. It's definitely a sensitive stomach issue - wish it was worms because that's easier to solve  :-\.

yaz

Offline Lucy

• Gnawer
  • No sensible shoes
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2005, 09:40:56 pm »
It sounds like you found a food that helps, and that's what worked for Ella B. (salmon oil I think was in it) , but once she got completely into the routine, etc. it was also much better. Basic boiled white rice is amazing for stablilizing their tummys, and they like it. Also, I fed her sweet pototoes which seemed to help as well. No dairy or anything like that. I'd say it took a good 4 weeks for her to have non -soft ....#2's :)
But the amount he's putting out sounds about the same as her. Big dogs..think about how tan you'll be in the summer when you go out there and do your scooping duty:)
from under the fur....