Author Topic: Hello All! Haven't been on for a while. Maxwell's getting huge!!! See pics?  (Read 3212 times)

Offline Saintly Girl

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Maxwell
    • View Profile
Hi everybody!  Maxwell is still gowing at 18 months old!  His bones are getting thicker and he's getting a little tubby.  My vet said he's a bit fat....Can you guys easily feel your dogs ribs?  We cut his food back a bit and are exercising him more.  One big thing that happened is that he was in a Christmas parade!!!  He was excited and hard to handle at first but he came around.  He's pretty darn strong and could easily pull me around if he wants to but he wasn't too bad.  There were thousands of people screaming Beethoven!!  The kids love him and the parents seemed to like him a lot too.  I can't get over how many people ask me if he's a newf?  Unfortunately we are putting him in a doggy resort for Christmas  :'(  We go to my Mom's every year for Christmas and this year I decided to give her a break from Maxwell.  She's not scared of him but this whole menopause thing is totally stressing her out and she doesn't need the added stress.  It's supposedly a five star pet resort.  At night he will sleep in a 4' by 8' room with in floor heating and during the day he plays with the other dogs all of the time.  I'm sure he'll love it but we haven't spent one night with out him since the day we got him!!!  I'll miss the huge lump in my bed!!  It's getting tight in our Queen size bed.  Me Hubby, my cocker, my cat and now Maxwell!!!  We're like sardines!!  Well, here's some shots of him now.  Enjoy.

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
Look at how handsome you Maxwell has become. He looks perfectly healthy to me...not too fat not too thin.  ;D
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline Saintly Girl

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Maxwell
    • View Profile
Thanks!  I feel the same way.  I don't think he looks too fat at all but the vet said you couldn't feel his ribs easy enough??  Everyone else I run into says he looks like he needs to fill in more??  I'm not sure if you are supposed to feel a Saints ribs that much?  Can you feel Bear's ribs easily?  This is my first Saint and there are only a handful in my province to compare to.

Offline BabsT

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
With both my dogs, I can easily feel ribs and my females coat being thick like a saint but my males coat is still thick. 

When I took Zero to a show the judge called him a bit pudgy and I was so offended, I almost cried...turned out he was right and I leaned him down real nice and now he looks fantastic.

He is a nice looking boy though...I always look for a tuck in the belly when they stand so you can see where the rib cage ends

I understand that they are giant dogs with lots of mass but dont mistake mass and bone for extra weight...
Zero 23mth  Central Asian Ovcharka
Anchara 16mth old Caucasian Ovcharka

k2campbell

What a sweetheart!  Handsome fellow you have there!  He doesn't look chubby to me?  BUT - we always make sure we can feel Kate's ribs easily (with a flat palm), so I guess maybe your vet is right?  I don't know for sure...  ???

Regardless - he's a good looking dog and congrats on being in the parade!!!  ;)